Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 64.74.112.74 IS DOWN
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
iluminada
QUOTE(BigJimW @ Jul 24 2003, 11:30 PM)
60 MB space, 1 gig transfer/month, at $29 bucks/mo?

Those prices ######. ohmy.gif

Besides, theres something shifty about that smiling Japanese womans eyes in that graphic. laugh.gif

"Me luv you long time. Now spend money!" biggrin.gif

In that case, it's a case of "you get what you pay for". Yeah, it's expensive, sure. Depends on what you're trying to do and the kind of clients you have. Different needs call for different solutions.
iluminada
QUOTE(apsoda @ Jul 24 2003, 11:39 PM)
iluminada, not everyone only pays 6.95 ...

some of us are reselling these services to clients, who are extremely pissed off at *us* today!

yep. I'm a reseller too. I know. It ######s. But you have to admit the reseller rates are pretty damn cheap too. Hey... I'm not sure what's up with these guys... and I'm certainly not defending people I've never met. Just saying that there is no "Holy Grail".

If you're reselling hosting instead of running your own server, then you need to be ready for things like this-- clients getting upset with you for things beyond your control. I resell to clients who can afford the occasional outage like this. Otherwise, I go elsewhere where I know I can work with the server administrator (or at least call him on the phone). That's what you pay for.
apsoda
i understand what you're saying iluminada, but we have purchased these services, some of us anyway, not only based on price, but on the assurance of uptime, service, backups etc etc...

no matter how cheap the price is, when a company promises something for that price it should be delivered

i have been impressed with Hostony's service since i signed up... but this situation is truly unacceptable no matter how you look at it.

i realise they are working hard to rectify the problem and i appreciate everything they're doing but it doesn't detract from the fact that many people have lost many many work hours because of it and tempers are bound to get flared
BigJimW
QUOTE(apsoda @ Jul 24 2003, 11:52 PM)
i understand what you're saying iluminada, but we have purchased these services, some of us anyway, not only based on price, but on the assurance of uptime, service, backups etc etc...

The only real assurance you will ever have is if the server sits right on your desk, and you're in front of the monitor. Outside of that..... well..... you have to bite the bullit. The actual server you get customers to use in reselling could be in Antartica for all you know. huh.gif
iluminada
Very true. I lost a whole day myself.
apsoda
i don't care where the server is... service is service

the reason i purchase hosting from a hosting company is because i do not have the resources to install that kind of equipment in my own office.

again, i appreciate hostony's efforts and i've enjoyed their service up to now and will probably continue to do so after this issue is resolved... i've no desire to rock the boat or be argumentative, i was simply a bit put out by a comment that we should all relax because we're only paying 6.95 and what do we expect, when that's not the case
jchrastina
All of my websites and email are operational now on 64.74.112.74.

I have spent my entire professional career (starting exactly 30 years ago yesterday - really!) managing manufacturing engineering, quality control, environmental control, tech support, HelpDesk, Call Centers, and now CIO of a $300 million per year, 1500 employee, international manufacturing and sales corporation.

There is absolutely no substitute for good communications.

The existence of this forum is one thing that drew me to Hostony four months ago, after bad experiences with another webhost over a six month period.

I'm afraid several of you do NOT understand the proper way to provide GOOD HelpDesk, tech support and forum communications. I do not expect each tech to keep running to the Forum to answer every thread that pops up. That TRULY would be a waste of valuable time best spent fixing the problem.

I do expect Hostony to provide very prominent single point of contact and information right on the main Forum page where ONE person from Hostony CAN take the time every hour or so to update the ENTIRE Hostony community with straight, honest status. The pat response to every thread thereafter can say "Please see our main posting". This system works very well for my company. We post updates on our intranet. People just KNOW where to look to get answers.

Hostony did not do this. And what information they did provide was conflicting and incomplete. I hope they learn from this experience and make COMMUNICATIONS number two, right behind some OBVIOUS technical architecture improvements (like RAID, tape backup, redundant servers, etc.).

Yes, it has been very painful to be down for this long. Yes, it has been REPEATEDLY painful too many times in the past two months to have ALL of my client's (six) websites and email down. I was getting phone calls ALL DAY today. I am exhausted.

JimC
ssaroff
After SIX hours of not getting a straight answer, I am finally upset.
My client's sites on hostony are still totaly dead.

The tech support staff keeps telling me (through chat) that everyhing is ok....
except it is not becuase my client's sites are all dynamic and use MySQL and the databases are not accessible, AND I can not use FTP to get to my sites,

YET THEY KEEP TELLING ME THINGS ARE OK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not only horible service, it is worse: it is like someone giving you wrong instructions.

I question that there was ever a hard disc hardware failure, and I am more and more thinking that some kind of "ROUTINE" maintenance without careful attention corrupted the server or os or something.... it is highly unlikely that while they were having problems on their other servers suddenly on this server the problems escelated to "hdd" damage....

The worst part, even more so than my clients being upset, is that I have NOT gotten any kind of straight answer from tech support: they simply IGNORE questions that are difficult, and now say everything is OK when it is NOT.

Write to the owner of the company, eamil support, and send email to the web hosting review companies. And then vote with your wallet.
BigJimW
Ok, now I'm starting to get a bit pissed here.

Why is my site going up and down???? mad.gif Whats going on now?

I just got on this month. Is July Hostony's ###### month special or something?
apsoda
should we all hold hands and sing a happy song??
ssaroff
This is not "hdd" hardware, this is faulty configuration:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/t1-compe/public_html/db_t1compe_main.inc on line 47
Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Warning: mysql_select_db(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/t1-compe/public_html/db_t1compe_main.inc on line 48

Warning: mysql_select_db(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/t1-compe/public_html/db_t1compe_main.inc on line 48
Could not select database t1compe_main : Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2)
Warning: mysql_query(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /home/t1-compe/public_html/log_t1compe_main.inc on line 38

Warning: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/t1-compe/public_html/log_t1compe_main.inc on line 38

Warning: mysql_close(): no MySQL-Link resource supplied in /home/t1-compe/public_html/log_t1compe_main.inc on line 47
JoeTech
I agree with JimC.

I'm sure that Hostony will read over these posts and learn from this ordeal. After they replace the HD, rebuild the users, and test the server, they will be re-thinking their procedures on communicating to their clients, just as we communicate to ours. A notification once an hour would save from our frustration, our clients' frustration, possible cancellation of service, and would free up a lot of space on this board.

JoeTech
28-days New
einfosells
I am also on 64.74.112.74. and my email is not working at all.
Pissed off
mad.gif I have lost money and important email today, my clients are pissed, and I am furious. My sites have been down for 16 hours, they are up now, but my email doesn't work neither does my database for my PHPNuke site. .......................... Hosting cheaper and comparable.
RHK Designs
If you everyone wanted a reseller site plans here are a few links:
http://www.modernhosting.net/
their basic plan is going dirt cheap only about 400 slots left
also try
http://www.addication.com/
for reseller plans, I find it to be cheap, gonna try and change my dns/server hosting etc to there if I can back up all my database files/mysql etc, but im still sticking with hostony to see and fidn out til my billing cycle ends next month- Hope I helped smile.gif
RHK Designs
Opps it was
http://addaction.net/
price range for resale plan 6.95 and up.... smile.gif smiles everyone....
ssaroff
You know, they have NO support phone number, they are not Answering their email, and I have been sending ICQ questions on the hour for past several hours that all go ignored...

this is not service.
this is not support.

this is 100% hiding from their problem.

They claim hard disk problems, however their MySQL database and email and FTP have been dead for hours and hours..... with NO response to repeated questions of what is going on.

If anyone knows or understands what is going on, please post here.
Walterb
ohmy.gif

Is anybody able to get their email from the last 24 hours or so?

MS outlook acts like there is nothing there, but if I send myself email from another account, it never gets to MS Outlook. If I log in using Web based Neomail I can send mail successfully, but I can’t receive it. MS Outlook errors when trying to send.

Currently (23:30 Hours CST) the site appears to be up on 64.74.112.74 but the email is hosed. I hope the didn’t loose it.

I’m unemployed and am expecting to keep in contact with potential employers using this email address.

An occasional word regarding the status from the SA at Hostony is appreciated.

Thanks.
ssaroff
Hey, use the eMail forward thing at the bottom of this page and forward this ENTIRE dialog to the review places that are giving Hostony high ratings.
Vanya
We're realy doing our best. And the situation was realy critical. The most important thing to do is to prevent data loses.

JimC:
JoeTech:
Thanks for understading.

ssaroff:
The reason of the server down is HDD.
ssaroff
I found this on the web:

http://www.100best-web-hosting.com/review....plan_name=Profi
max
im not trying to make light of the situation ... but you shouldn't be running a business off a $7.95/mo server, thats why more expensive solutions exist.
Walterb
Vanya,

Kak-da-la,

Ya-ka-chew Min-ya EMAIL !! Penny-my-yet??

Solka-choss EMAIL Pa-ja-all-sta?

Spa-see-ba..

Pa-ka..

wink.gif
max
ssarrof:

ive been discussed before, the servers are in us datacenters, not russia.
ssaroff
where are the people though? No response to email, no response to ICQ.

= NO support.
bgp1
QUOTE(Walterb @ Jul 24 2003, 09:37 PM)
ohmy.gif

Is anybody able to get their email from the last 24 hours or so?

MS outlook acts like there is nothing there, but if I send myself email from another account, it never gets to MS Outlook. If I log in using Web based Neomail I can send mail successfully, but I can’t receive it. MS Outlook errors when trying to send.

Currently (23:30 Hours CST) the site appears to be up on 64.74.112.74 but the email is hosed. I hope the didn’t loose it.

I’m unemployed and am expecting to keep in contact with potential employers using this email address.

An occasional word regarding the status from the SA at Hostony is appreciated.

Thanks.

I can check and send email using webmail ( I cannot check Outlook Express, as I do not have that computer availiable). I have been receiving alot of spam, so yea, it works for me. I think I am on a different server though!
walterb
thanks bgp1.
Walterb
Its back down again. (as of Midnight CST)...

As long as I know someone is working the problem I can live with it until the morning...
bgp1
It takes time to solve problems like this. Be glad they are taking this kind of time to fix the problem. They are apparently making sure to not loose data of yours, and because of this, I am sure it takes time. There is no telling how much information is stored on this server, so it may just take alot of time.

As for not getting replies, would you want them spending time replying and it take even longer? I have known several companies where if a problem like this happens, they will not accept any new tickets or anything for support, but have all possible resources devoted to fixing the problem.

As for not having a backup but once a week, you have the ability to backup your data as well. First, there is the backup utility in the control panel. I myself use FTP software to download my entire site to another drive on my machine and zip it, at least once a month. I have no idea about your sites, bit I just logged the googlebot spidered my site within the last 2-3 days. If any data was lost, you can always use Google's cache utility.

Oh, and no problem with the email thing. I have problems of my own with email (my primary computer is currently broke, so I am resorting to only checking with webmail). It is just something to bear with until it is fixed.

Any place will promise 99% uptime, but no one can provide it. Stuff breaks, and then something like this happens. I truly believe that Hostony is one of the better (if not best) host on the market. I think that what Hostony is doing by crediting your account and how they are treating the situation is proof enough of that!
chuck
QUOTE(max @ Jul 25 2003, 03:51 AM)
ssarrof:

ive been discussed before, the servers are in us datacenters, not russia.

If you look at the user details for their IRQ you will find their location is Ukraine.

No responce by email or IRQ!

This day has cost me, with resale packages they should have better support and a plan for fixing problems. I think I will go to another resaler, considering my lose today, the extra cost seems worth it!
Walterb
Ukraine??

Well, its about 8AM in Ukraine, so maybe they can work the problem while I sleep.

My wife (who was born and raised in Kiev) was laughing at my poor attempt to communicate to Vanya earlier..

I would rather get it done right, than get it done fast.

I don' expect too much for my $7 a month, but I would like my email working soon and recovered as best

as possible..

thanks, and I'll be looking for it in about 8 hours...
chuck
QUOTE(bgp1 @ Jul 25 2003, 04:14 AM)
I think that what Hostony is doing by crediting your account and how they are treating the situation is proof enough of that!

Proof,............ it is part of the guarantee, and they have exceeded that. The first 3 days I hosted with them, they had this problem! My site seems to go down once a week! They have replaced the motherboard, updated the kernel (over and over), hard drive failed and many other excuses. My site was down for over 11 hours a couple of months ago, and they told me it was my connection and that my site and the server was working. I had a monitoring service tell me otherwise, as well as customers. I loved their packages and the quick response from their support, so I stayed and hoped for the best. Now it cost to much to stay with them and I would rather pay more and keep my sanity and my customers happy!!
mubashir
okay, i do realize that the data is up, but what happened to the mysql db's? Will they be also restored? What about mailing lists? I had over a thousand emails in one of them!

Mub.
apsoda
mub,

my databases all contain their data so i think that side is ok even though site pages can't connect to mysql yet.

no idea about your mailing lists... sorry
Stanly
We are working now.
Everything is normal except MySQL database.
The server will be up ASAP.
Thank all for the patience.
Stanly
Everything is normal except MySQL database.
The server will be up ASAP.
Thank all for the patience.
thiessen
Still not working? thiessengraphics.com, woodlandvoices.com
artrocity
24 hrs and still not 100%.

cannot ftp,telnet to my account.

sent email to myself 1hr ago and still have not recieved it.

I have been on many web host since 1995 and
have NEVER been down for 24hrs like this.

Totally Unacceptable ! mad.gif
Tribicon
It would be nice to have an update on the status of accounts. I just moved my domains to Hostony, everything was good for about a month, now this. Now Im starting to regret moving the domains.
bgp1
QUOTE(thiessen @ Jul 25 2003, 03:33 AM)

I looked at your sites, they are up.
Linear Helix
I'm not even on the 64.74.207.74 server and both my sites were down this morning. Apparently the problems are not limited to that server.
Walterb
EMAIL is still out..

I haven't gotten an email in 36 hours..

If I send myself something either from the web based Neomail or from another email account, I never get it.

Does anybody know if they were able to salvage the email data from yesterday? There have not been any bounce-backs which is good, as long as we get our email..

thanks.
WalterB
EMAIL seems to be working,

BUT, 36 hours worth of my email is still missing.

Please please help!!!!
Linear Helix
On the 216.180.242.186 server, SMTP has been down for a while, and the sites have been down for the last 10 minutes also.
Walterb
HOSTONY PLEASE GIVE US AN UPDATE!!!!

what is the latest status on data recovery? email recovery?

thank you...
Alec
Hello guys.

All services on the servers are recovered including ftp, mail and mysql.

We apologize for the server downtime and understand that it is annoying for you. So we are do a tweaking on the server. Also as stated above we will upgrade every account on this server to level-up. I.e. All profi accounts will be upgraded to Advanced.
thiessen
Any suggestions what to do with PO clients? I know all they want is reliable service or at least "99.9%". Well, so much for that percentage. Should I offer refunds, free months, more space.

In comment to previous comments of "you get what you pay for", that kind of mentality disgusts me. When I buy something, I expect what I'm sold. And what I was sold is found in the advertising at hostony.com. I was sold 99.9% uptime, online support via this forum and online tickets. Hostony must realize that I resell their product as well as their promises. So if Hostony can't deliver their on uptime and/or support they either need to change their performance or their promises.
Walterb
EMAIL is slowly rolling into my INBOX from yesterday..

I assume this is part of the recovery process.

please let us know when it is complete.

thank you.. smile.gif
QUOTE(jchrastina @ Jul 24 2003, 06:52 PM)
The lack of communications, the lack of redundancy (RAID??), the lack of backup, the lack of service, the lack of support.

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it.

It happens over and over and over again. I need a webhost that doesn't keep me on daily and every other day "pins-and-needles". Anymore, a day doesn't go by when I'm not waiting for one of my six clients to call me to see WHY their website is down or WHY their email doesn't work.

I have had enough.

YOU NEED TO CLEAN UP YOUR TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE AND YOUR REGULAR COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

I need to start looking elsewhere.

(And I agree with Thiessen, what exactly do you mean by "level up each account on this server"? Does that mean you'll give us extra days or months of poor service??)

how much again are you paying for your hostony service? i believe my account is under $10 a month - what more should i expect? i certainly wouldn't run a business off a cheap web host - there are plenty of vendors out there who guarantee a higher level of service, and in turn you pay for the associated costs.

you shouldn't post to the world that you are going to "start looking elsewhere" - just go do it. all your posts aren't going to make the server magically come back to life and magically have an improved quality of service.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here