Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Improve communications on server status
Hostony Board > General Support > Suggestions
Pages: 1, 2
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(bdsnyder @ Aug 6 2004, 02:32 PM)
Upon futher review of recent posts on this forum, I now
realize why there is not a "SERVER STATUS" thread.

Looks like HOSTANY servers go DOWN more than my GIRLFRIEND....

I do not get that.
Vanya
tongue.gif
bdsnyder
OPPS, I just noticed my typo.....

Instead of HOSTONY I typed HOSTANY.

Must have been thinking about my OLD girlfriend.

I broke up with her, caught her cheating...

Instead of "ONY" it was "ANY"
Danimal
QUOTE(Dark Hedgehog @ Aug 6 2004, 11:45 PM)
I do not get that.

Allow me to explain then. It's what's known as "a joke that's in no way funny." As another example of this, see the post directly above this one. You'll probably feel you don't get that one either, but don't worry. Your lack of desire to laugh isn't your fault in any way.
Vanya
I wish i wasn't hostony's staff... i would write some of thoughts as well wink.gif
dwalker
Upon futher review of recent posts on this forum, I now
realize why there is not a "SERVER STATUS" thread.

Looks like HOSTANY servers go DOWN more than my GIRLFRIEND....

Maybe the question is how is YOUR UP TIME? You sound a little sexually frustrated.

Besides, I heard that you use to have a girlfriend...but then she changed her screen name. laugh.gif

BTW, I host 18 web sites with Hostony and I love it!
kbrown
I just recently signed up and am moving from another provider that constantly had problems and refused to tell me about it. Thus making me look bad to my clients where were on the verge of leaving me. The only reason they stayed is my moving to another service provider. How is the service here?
Dark Hedgehog
Try reading my post in "Anything and Everything"

You'll see.
chadox
While I agree with the idea of being kept in the loop regarding server downtimes... I don't think a mailing list is the best way to go (in regards to the following):

Hmm. I see your point.

If they sent out email's of server status and things that are "needed" to know from their forums to registered members or registered members cpanel accounts on why their site is down, I think that would be cool.

But I think a mailing list is the best option, because the cpanel would probably be down as well as the site.
I just don't see it happening.

It's not only cpanel accounts that are down... but also e-mail accounts. Most of us probably have ourdomain.com e-mails listed as the hostony contact method (at least I do). Therefore, if my server were to go down (as it happens to be right now and has been all day... http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=2492), I won't receive my e-mail notification even if it were to be sent out. I would only receive it after the server is back up and running.

Overall though, I think I'm pretty happy with the notice that was given here in the forums (see link above), once I bothered to check it.

ChadOx
lepaul36
Here is a question..What would you really do about it? Your service is down..are you going to go down there and fix it. I can understand the idea of knowing when "planned" outages occure. But you are still going to be down. You are still going to have to say "well, try later. They must be having problems" If you have an e-commerce site, are you going to email each person and tell them that the site is temporarly down?

Don't misunderstand me please..I can understand the frustration of this stuff happening, but what can we as customers really do when our site is down? Forward notice will tell us that is down..for some people tht may be dependable information, for most users I think it will be a thing of "well try later".

it is like a cable guy comming to your house and following him arround saying "what are you doing now", it doesn't make a difference at the fact he is trying to fix your problem.

You can dog me for this, but I think that is something that is important as a thought about down time..it happens and all you can do is wait, if you know about it or not.

However, it does seem stupid for hostony to set themselves up for tons of emails and trouble tickets for "What is happening". So to slide back a bit, I think they should notify not really for us, but for them. I am sure that as with all "communication" groups though there is no intercommunication (sorry I used to work with Pac Bell, no com. there). But, it seems that alot of people seem to think that knowing when the site is down is really going to change things for them, and I think that for 90% of the sites, it won't.

Sorry, that is my opinion.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here