Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dreamweaver support?
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Anonymous
I am almost set to move my small collection of clients' sites to your great looking service...

before i make my final decision I need to know if your servers offer support for Dreamweaver MX

thank you in advance

~s~
Serge
Dreamweaver is just a development tool and editor for HTML and PHP(if you have extentions installed). Most effects people create with dereamweaver are actually DHTML that is run on the client. So Dreamweaver doen't put vital requirements on the server for special support. You can publish pages from dreamweaver by configuring ftp or edit your pages directly on the server.

So you should not face any server related problems with dreamweaver.
Anonymous
thank you...

I do know what dreamweaver is wink.gif, but i was under the impression that there were specific requirements for developing applications (coldfusion support etc)

i guess not smile.gif

thank you again
Serge
colfusion is quite a different thing than dreamweaver. It is scripting language like php. It is run on windows boxes.
We run linux so we cannot support coldfusion.

Dreqmweaver is used just to edit colfusion code. Dreamweaver is an editor so you can edit almost any code in it. It is most convenient for HTML than has good settings for editing php and colfusion. But there is no requirement to use colfusion if you want to create your HTML pages in dreamweaver.
Anonymous
I've been using Dreamweaver for several years and would like to point out that I agree with the moderator's answer -- since DW is an editor, it won't interfere with the server's capabilities.

Also, Dreamweaver offers the designer the ability to view all the code used in a page. If the designer has any doubt as to how the page might be handled by the server, they can always copy all the HTML (using the Code View feature in Dreamweaver), paste it into a text document with an .html extension, and upload that in lieu of the DW file.
Anonymous
colfusion is quite a different thing than dreamweaver. It is scripting language like php. It is run on windows boxes.
We run linux so we cannot support coldfusion.

Dreqmweaver is used just to edit colfusion code. Dreamweaver is an editor so you can edit almost any code in it. It is most convenient for HTML than has good settings for editing php and colfusion. But there is no requirement to use colfusion if you want to create your HTML pages in dreamweaver.

Actually there is now a coldfusion build for linux available ;D
Serge
Yes, but the price macromedia wants for it doesn't allows us to offer it in our ordinary shared plans. Also as port from windows port Coldfusion is hungry and we can put less accounts per server in order it remain stable.

On the other side we don't have enough demand to dedicate a server for coldfusion hosting and make special coldfusion plans.

As for now only 3 people asked whether we have coldfusion. It is too low to justify spending on teh server and software licenses. that's why we are not offering it at the moment.
Anonymous
just in case anyone else ever stopped by with this question and was as frustrated as i was by the offers of "it's just an editor"... dreamweaver mx has some features other than just making pretty pages that i was interested in trying out, so my original question obvioiusly needs some clarification and here is the answer, which i got when i called macromedia...

i develop php applications and my (possibly badly worded) question was relating to dreamweaver's ability to interact with a mysql database for building and testing those apps before they are actually made live.

the answer to my question, *from macromedia* is that only Windows servers support those features...

back to hand coding and manual testing smile.gif
Serge
If you are looking for IDE that is comfortable for php development you can consider KOMODO

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?_x=1

As for now it is the best ide I ever so for php development.
As for devugging php scripts now you cannot get debug information and I doubt these features will be ever avaliable because of the security reasons. So when you are using komodo or any other IDE you are to have php and webserver on the same box as your IDE.

Also there are some projects that allows to debug php scripts on Linux but you cannot use them in shared web hosting. They can be used only when you have root accees. And of cause they are far evey from being perfect.

So, my choice for perl/php development is KOMODO smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here