Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Server down often / rebooted
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
mxb100
I host a site 123shots.com with you. (207.44.244.81). Server has been down or rebooted whatever almost every day for the past few days.

Today 1/29 it seems to have been down for 40 minutes!! Can you tell me whats going on here?

Do you monitor these boxes in real-time? If yes, then how can it be down for 40 minutes?

Thanks
Manoj
Serge
Sorry about that but as you see last 2 days internet is flooded with traffic created by worm.SCO.A AKA W32.MyDOOm.A.

Servers have to process about 10-20 times more mail then ever and all mail should be processed by mailscanner and antivirus software to stop the virus. To the top virus distributes itself as zip attachment and antivirus should use gzip to decompress it. It is vwery CPU intensive task. We do monitor servers and that's why at times when load goes too high we need to restart service or reboot a server to keep it up.
In case filesystem at reboot was broken server needs to run through fsck process that may take up to an hour.

Hope when most of the people update their antivirus software bogus mail traffic disappear and everything should go back to norm.
dragonfli
An intelligent answer to a reasonable question.
I have been frustrated by this as well and hope things improve soon.
It sounds as if there is little any of us can do but wait (assuming we are not contributing to the problem by opening infected attachments)
mxb100
Serge,

Thanks a lot. That makes sense.

Keep up the good work.
Manoj
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here