Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Switch from Linux Hosting to Windows Hosting?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
sky51fire
Hi,
I currently has Linux Hosting because you did not support Windows Hosting when I signed up. The two Hosting plans are similar and cost the same. I am just wondering whether it is possible to switch from Linux Hosting to Windows Hosting? In addition, I want to know which is more reliable in term of speed and uptime.

Thanks,
sky51fire
Alec
Windows and UNIX (or in this case Linux) both have their strengths and weaknesses.

There are a couple of major differences between Linux hosting and Windows hosting:

- Windows hosting is more expensive than Linux hosting,
- Linux is typically a more stable and reliable operating sytem

The features Windows hosting has which Linux hosting doesn't have includes:
- ASP (Active Server Pages)

The features Linux hosting has which Windows hosting doesn't includes:
- SSI (Server side includes).
- SSH access

If you want to switch your account to windows hosting open request on to our support and notiy your order number and domain name
sky51fire
Hi,
What do you mean by "Windows hosting is more expensive than Linux hosting" ... according to the price listing on the website ... both linux and windows "Special" hosting cost the same.

In addition, what are SSI (Server side includes), SSH access? ... and what are they used for? Does the Windows hosting has alternatives to these?

Thanks,
skyfire
Alec
Windows is more expensive for hosting company. Usually linux plans are cheaper than identical windows plans but we sell identical linux and windows plans for the same price.

SSI is short for server-side include. It is a type of HTML comment that directs the webserver to dynamically generate data for the Web page whenever information is requested. It can also be used to execute programs and insert the results.

SSH programs allow you to log into a computer over a network, execute commands, and move files. While Telnet programs do virtually the same thing as SSH programs, SSH provides a more secure environment because it encrypts your information, i.e. no information is guaranteed to be secure when using a Telnet application.

There are no alternatives on these options in Windows although Terminal Server-Client allow administrators to manage the server remotely.
sky51fire
QUOTE(Alec @ Jan 27 2004, 07:16 AM)
If you want to switch your account to windows hosting open request on to our support and notiy your order number and domain name

Will I lose all the email accounts and all the contents of my website if I was to choose to switch? Will it affect anything or is it going to be a flawless transition?

Order Number? The same order number of current hosting plan?

Sincerely,
skyfire
Alec
You will save your site content and databases. But mail, ftp settings will be lost.

We need your 2checkout order number to process it
sky51fire
QUOTE(Alec @ Jan 31 2004, 10:51 AM)
You will save your site content and databases. But mail, ftp settings will be lost.

We need your 2checkout order number to process it

The site content and databases will not be able to transfer? If so, it is up to me to save it and implement it, right? Is there any possible way to save the mail accounts and their contents?

Sincerely,
skyfire
Vanya
The site content and databases will be tranfered.
No, mail, ftp settings will be lost.
sky51fire
Will it cost me anything to do this? Will there be a certain fee?

Thanks,
skyfire
Alec
We'll transfer all your data without any additional fees.
sky51fire
Thank you for answering all my questions. I have submitted a request to switch. Again Thanks.

Sincerely,
skyfire
sky51fire
I cannot login after the switch. The username and password provided do not work because I get the following message:
"The username or password specified was incorrect."

I have submitted a trouble ticket but have not heard anything yet.

Sincerely,
skyfire
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here