Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CGI/Perl problems
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
ChrisP
I have just opened an account with you and I tried to upload a Perl program that I had been using before on my old server. When I tried to access the cgi file to install it I got an Error 500, Internal Server Error. I then uploaded another different Perl program and set all of the permissions as requested. The index.html page loads fine, but when I click on "Install" which links to the cgi file, I still get an Error 500 page (which then goes to an ad page, which is annoying. Is there an option for custom error pages?)
The pre-installed cgi scripts work just fine. Are those the only scripts that will work on your servers?
cgi-bin/Perl is one of the reasons I chose you as my web provider so I hope you can help me with this problem.
My url is http://www.chrispysworld.com which will go directly to the install.cgi page so if I don't get a response soon, I will have to delete the index.html page so it is not accessed by anyone else.
Thank you and I hope for a quick reply.
Stanly
I visit the link and I'm getting just a blank page.
All of Perl scripts are working fine at our servers so I intend to think that it is a script problem or it is using some non-standart Perl modules.
The best way will be to contact the developer of the script to get answers.
Stanly
Yes, your script is wrong.
I've checked it double and as I can see the file is incomplete.

When I'm trying to run it from console I get the following message:

install.cgi: Can't find string terminator '"' anywhere before EOF at install.cgi line 1060.

And when I'm going to your script to the line 1060 I see a ragged string.
Please re-upload your script and try to run it again.
ChrisP
Yes, but I have tried to upload 3 different cgi programs and all of them have given me an error 500 message. The first one I tried to install was used succesfully on my old web providerand onlu had 3 files involved, and would not work here. It was uploaded in ASCII format and permissions were set as required by the programmers. Is the path to perl actually /usr/bin/perl as Cpanel states?
I will delete all files and upload the simple 3 file program to cgi-bin and see what happens.
Stanly
Yes, /usr/bin/perl is a correct path.
nrquam
Actually I've been having problems with my CGI/PERL as well. I've used scripts that I have on another host that works fine and it gives me the 500 message. I've even used the simplest script that only types a sentance. Nothing works. I've tried changing little things.

I checked my error logs and it tells me "file has no execute permission". But I gave it complete permissions. I don't get it. I've never had this much trouble. Any idea why it wouldn't work?

Is there a way I can sign in with putty?
Alec
You can't put full permissions on cgi-script. Server won't execute this script due to security issue. All you cgi scripts must have permissions 755 (rwxr-xr-x).

I've set correct permissions and executed scripts again. I've gor a perl error:

Missing right curly or square bracket at easyhost.setup line 43, at end of line
syntax error at easyhost.setup line 43, at EOF
Compilation failed in require at easyhost.cgi line 25.

Correct this and your script will be working properly
Alec
Your file easyhost.setup is corrupted. Upload it again
ChrisP
I have re-uploaded the files, set permissions to 755 amd still get an Error 500 whenever I try and acces the script.
Is there anything unusual in the Perl instalation on your servers?
I can live without installing this script and probably find a PHP or other program to do the same thing but it is just wierd that I use the same files and FTP program on my old service and everything worked just fine.

And thanks for the replies.
Chris.
Stanly
Please run easyhost.cgi in the same directory and you'll see it is working.
All of your cgi programs must have 755 permissions and a VALID Perl script.
ChrisP
Thanks and the script is now working, but in order for it to install the permissions need to be set to 777. The script runs and downloads the current files to the .cgi file online. Without being able to set perms to 777 I can not install the script.
Vanya
You can change permissions usign Cpanel's file manager or ssh.
ChrisP
Hi and thanks for all of the replies.
I have found a better script to use so everything is OK now, and correct me if I am wrong, but I thought I read that cgi scripts could not be set to 777 on this server? That is what was causing the problems. When I set it to 777 I got a Error 500 and when I set it to 755 it would run but it couldn't update itself because it wasn't writable. I am only asking out of curiosity since I am not going to use this script after all.
Vanya
Scripts can be set to 777. I guess there was a problem in your script if write could be done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here