Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Password Protected Directories?
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
gotmemory
I was wondering whether the Windows Special plan supports password protected directories so I don’t have to use scripts that just make it look hidden.
gotmemory
Oops, I just refined my search and I found this:

"Anyway I'll post here a small HOWTO for password protected folders.

1. Under default skin go to Access Menu -> WebProtect (Password protect directories)
Under CpanelX just click on icon with key "Password protection"

2. You'll see a folder tree. Select a folder you want to password protect.

3. Click on checkbox near lock "Folder requires a password to access via http://"

4. Type in field "Protected Resource Name:" short description of what is contained in the folder (one or 2 words)

5. Click on "Save" button.

Now when folder is password protected you can add edit/remove users:

To add users:
Just Type username in field "UserName" and password in the field "Password" and press "Add New User" button

To chane a password:
Just Type username you want to change password for in field "UserName" and new password in the field "Password" and press "Change password" button.

Do delete user:
Select a user from the active users list and press "Delete User" button "

So obviously you do support password protected directories.

Thanks for the help lol wink.gif
Serge
Password protected directories are support only under linux.
for windows you have to use your own scripts if you want to protect some part of your site.

The way ISS server now handls password protection is not secure and creates numerouse problems with file uploads and frontpage.

The Howto you found is for Linux web hosting.
gotmemory
NOOOO! I ordered the Windows hosting plan today partially because of that... oh well, its still a great plan and I suppose I will be ok smile.gif
Serge
Windows platform is still not as good suited for hosting needs as linux/unix.
Microsoft should learn to listen to hosting software developers rather than ignoring them and call bugs 'features' (Quite normal for them).

There are a dozen problems that could not be worked areount just because of Microsofts attitude. Anyway software is being heavily developed and I hope the most problem will vanish soon.
gotmemory
QUOTE(Serge @ Jan 1 2004, 06:12 PM)
Windows platform is still not as good suited for hosting needs as linux/unix.
Microsoft should learn to listen to hosting software developers rather than ignoring them and call bugs 'features' (Quite normal for them).

There are a dozen problems that could not be worked areount just because of Microsofts attitude. Anyway software is being heavily developed and I hope the most problem will vanish soon.

ok, thanks for the help... I was looking for ASP support and Frontpage Extentions - needed to go with windows for ASP.

Thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here