Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Linux/Windows
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Howdy7
Would you please explain the difference between Linux and Windows hosts . I am new to this. It seems linux is less money. Windows has bells & whistles (real audio, real videol, flash). What do I need on my end to accomodate either of these hosts. I want to transfer my site to this server. Just looking for some extra information. I just have a basic website that I want to add a shopping cart to. My existing service is only 50 mg and $150 a year. Not a good deal!!!! And no shopping cart. Thanks Howdy7
Pantera
If you are running Windows or Mac OS on your computer, you can still choose UNIX/Linux operating system on your server.
Windows server - best choice when developing using ASP, MS Access databases, MS SQL,ColdFusion, Visual Basic Scripts, Windows Media.

UNIX/Linux server - for applications running MySQL databases.

PHP scripting language is possible on either Linux or Windows, but many
Windows servers support ASP instead of PHP.

The main difference is how you accomplish your objective. If you need a database-driven web site, you can choose either PHP/MySQL combination under Linux or ASP/MS-SQL combination under Windows.

Perl is available on both.

Web sites developed using MS Frontpage are possible on either, since
Linux allows Frontpage extensions to be activated.

Ssome e-commerce applications use Windows-only shipping and payment processing components.

In the last years, there have been a number of security holes found and exploited
in the Windows servers. Some have been fixed by Microsoft. Equivalent problems
and attacks are experienced on Linux with Apache server; the open source nature
of these products has helped some flaws get fixed faster than MS problems.

Regards
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here