Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need website help
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
saltwater-nut
Morning all.

I recently bought a domain name. Also started up hosting with hostony.com.

I made up a wepage using some software,uploaded it my site. Now what do I do? I only have access to my Cpanel.

AS you can tell by this post,I know absolutely nothing about websites but am willing to learn.

Can you help me?
Thank you,
Roy
Pantera
I hope these links will bo useful for you wink.gif

http://www.bruceclay.com/

http://www.smartwebby.com/website_promotion/

http://www.thepromoter.com/

Good luck!
Vanya
If you uploaded a page to your account(to public_html) than it's available from Internet. What else do you want to know?
saltwater-nut
Evening,

My website is saltwatercreations.com

The page was uploaded to my site. I have no idea where it went to.

Let's forget that I uploaded anything.

Let's start from scratch. Ok,I've made a website page. Now what?

The publishing software asks for;
site host
remote folder
port#
username and password. I have the site host # and username and password. What is a remote folder and port#?

Also what is cd public_html?

With your help I'll get this figured out!

Thank you,
Roy
Alec
You uploaded your files in your root directory but you have to upload them in public_html folder.
If you do it with ftp you need to set up the following settings of your ftp client program:

Hostname: saltwatercreations.com (I see that your domain is already propagated on ourr server)
Remote folder: public_html or www
Port: 21
dragonfli
Saltwater - it seems you've publlished ok follow below link to see site
http://saltwatercreations.com/saltwatercreations2.html

A little hint - in case you didn't know yet, no big deal, but if you rename your homepage to index.html it will automatically open when somone goes to your .com wink.gif
If you do that,
the page opened by the above link will open by link below instead of just seeing your file index
http://saltwatercreations.com/
Danimal
QUOTE(saltwater-nut @ Nov 20 2003, 01:53 AM)
Also what is cd public_html?

That just means it's changing directories ("cd") to the folder public_html which is the main folder for your site.
saltwater-nut
Thank you all for you replies. It is truly appreciated!

How do I rename my homepage?

I now feel that I should have gone with a hosting service that catered a little more towards the beginner. I no nothing about how to use the control panel,add shopping carts,or change or add anything to my website.

Anyways,thanks again for the help.
Roy
dragonfli
Everyone was new once; I am no expert either I know a little, learn a little more each day. If you do that you should be fine.

That being said, if you need to rename a file already server side there is more than one way. Via C panel - look for a link called "file manager" you can upload, download, rename and delete all your files from there. just navigate through the tree style bunch of folders till you get inside your public_html folder, select the file and on the right hand side there will be options such as rename etc.
Via ftp client (software you run localy that connects to your server). I recomend cute ftp for beginners because of the easy drag and drop windows style interaction. easy to pick up and use right away. If you use this client you will see two windows one on the left will show your local files, the one on the right will show your server files (once youve logged in) you can upload or download via drag and drop or select files or folders on either side to delete rename ect.
One thing tho; your home page is broken. you need to make the links work first and upload the pages they link to' this should be done with the software you created your webpage with. I would suggest renaming your file in that software first, fixing the links and uploading everything at once. Have you ever tried frontpage? it makes all of this very easy for beginners who already know how to use microsoft office software. There are better programs but frontpage is very easy and there are many templates available.
I am wasting electronic ink by being so verbose, but the guys that run the support for hostony are actually very helpful to beginners with C-Panel functions ect. They will not write your pages for you but I have never been refused help regarding hosting issues.
Danimal
These forums exist to help out the new people that we all once were.

I personally use WS-FTP, but Cute FTP works too. Check out download.com to get a copy for yourself. Also, Netscape's Composer is an easy to use page editor.

Renaming the files can be done in the FTP program, or you could just save your page again as "index.html" and upload that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here