Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Procmail
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
Remi
Hi there -- just finished doing a 'procmail' search through the forums and found no exact documentation on how to setup procmail on Hostony's servers. I have SSH access, and know general information about writing recipes, but this quote troubles me a bit:

Ok, remove then the "forward" file. It seems Exim (our mail server) doesn't support "forward". It has a special file where I can point all your mail to some script. I've just copied your .procmail back to the /home/artro and set your "default' mailbox to send emails to /usr/sbin/procmail.

Please check if it is working now.

Specifically, I am wondering if it is possible to enable/disable procmail ourselves, or if it is necessary to contact Hostony every time that we want to enable procmail on a specific user account. That is, if I have the user mailboxes user1@domain.com and user2@domain.com, and I only want user1@domain.com to be enabled, then hypothetically, I could drop .forward and .procmailrc into ~/mail/domain.com/user1/, and, according to the pathing information stored in ~/etc/domain.com/, would they be found and used?

Your above quote says that Exim does not support .forward files, but I know I've had it working with them before, and the Exim homepage documentation (see http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.20/doc/htm...._4.html#TOC147 ) specifically says that Exim does support .forward files.
Alec
CPanel does not currently support Procmail.

If you have shell access for your domain, you can hand edit the file containing the forwarders (/etc/valiases/domain.name) to have a line as follows:
CODE

email@domain.name: "|/usr/bin/procmail -f-"

And then place a .procmailrc file in your home directory.
Remi
Thanks - I've got procmail working, but now I receive two copies of each e-mail - one that procmail has filtered, but also one that exim seems to deliver, unfiltered. My .procmailrc is so far very simple:

PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin
MAILDIR=$HOME/mail/<domain>/<user>
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/inbox
SPAMASSASSIN=$MAILDIR/spam
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/procmail.log
VERBOSE=yes
LOGFILE=/dev/null
SHELL=/bin/sh

:0:
* ^X-Spam-Flag: YES
$SPAMASSASSIN

... and is stored in the file:
~/mail/<user>/.procmailrc

... and is called from /etc/valiases/<domain> with the line:
<user>@<domain>: "|/usr/bin/procmail -f- /home/<my master account>/mail/<user>/.procmailrc"

Everything works properly, except that I get two copies delivered of everything (one that procmail delivers, but only one, as that's all the procmail log file shows being delivered, and one that Exim apparently feels like delivering). So for a default mail, something that "falls off the end" of the .procmailrc, for example, I get two exact duplicate messages of it ending up in ~/mail/<domain>/<user>/inbox

... I don't see why this would be happening. Why does Exim always deliver, even if it is supposed to be sending it elsewhere (i.e. procmail) for proper dispensation?
Alec
Please open a ticket on http://support.hostony.com and notify your domain name and mailbox name.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here