Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Port 25 connectivity
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
Sajata
Hi.

For about the last two weeks I have been unable to connect to port 25 of server11 from my home PC. I contacted support and was told that the server was working fine, it was just me. Hotmail seemed to confirm this since I could send my hostony account mail from Hotmail.

This problem has continued, though, to the point that Hotmail can't send mail to my Hostony account either - I get a message back from postmaster saying 'Delivery to the following recipients failed'.

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550-law12-oe23.law12.hotmail.com (hotmail.com) [64.4.18.80] is currently not
550-permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into
550-the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP
550 Authentication turned on in your email client.

This is further to my other prolonged email problems.

Suggestions / fixes, please?

Sarah
Vanya
Try it again. And tell your problem mail account.
Sajata
Nope, still not working from my home PC, but Hotmail can mail to it now, as can AOL.

It's nothing in my email client, because I can't even telnet on port 25 to the host.

My domain is sajata-web.com.

Cheers,

Sarah
Vanya
Have you turned on SMTP authentification on your e-mail client?
Sajata
Yes.. I've tried it with authentication, without authentication, I've removed the account and used the autoconfig from cPanel, and I can't even get a response from the server when telnetting on port 25 from a command prompt.

It is simply not responding to me on port 25.
artrocity
Who is your ISP?

I know that COX Cable blocks outgoing port 25.
They only allow you to connect to their mail server to send mail.
They say its to control spammers...
blink.gif

Just a thought....
Sajata
Is this a recent thing? It's been working fine for a couple months, and it's only started failing a couple weeks ago. But yes, we're on Cox high speed.

Hrm. I'll get a hold of Cox and ask them if they've made any recent changes.
jchrastina
This may help you.

http://support.cox.net/custsup/email/POP_S..._settings.shtml
Sajata
Okay. Thanks for all your help on sending through Outlook Express. However, Hotmail (and therefore, I presume, other domains too) is failing to send to this domain YET AGAIN.

This is the third or fourth time this problem has reoccurred in the three months I've been with Hostony. Please will someone fix it for good?

Thank you.

Sarah
Alec
I've changed exim configuration.
Please try again.
Sajata
Thanks! That's fixed it.
Sajata
Okay. Sorry guys, but I'm having exactly the same problem, yet again.

I'd like to know what keeps changing that affects this - it's certainly nothing I'm doing, I haven't touched the control panel to do anything more than download the Outlook Express auto config settings in weeks.

Please fix.

Thank you.

Sarah
Vanya
Try now please.
Sajata
Thank you - it's now working again.

This is becoming such a regular problem that I'm no longer giving my sajata-web.com addresses out to people if it's at all important that I receive the email (and don't look incompetent for having a problematic mail host). Please could something be done to ensure that this will not happen again?

Thanks again.

Sarah
Vanya
ok... It should not to appear in a future.
Sajata
*sigh* This is getting beyond a joke.

Yet again mail cannot be sent from hotmail to my sajata-web.com address.

I'm beginning to lose count of the number of times this has happened so far, and the only way we know that it has happened is when I begin to notice that my email inbox is looking rather quiet.

I want this fixed for good. I've considered upgrading to a reseller account, since I have a number of options of people who would like to host with me, but I simply would not want to take the chance of this happening with any other domain that fell under my jurisdiction.

Sorry to have to be complaining again, but this is getting to be a very regular issue.
Vanya
It's fixed. Is there something you did that caused that change?
Sajata
I -promise- there's nothing whatsoever I've done. I don't change config when it's working, and considering that this problem has been fixed by yourselves every time, I haven't even tried to fix it myself.

If there's anything I can do to avoid this issue happening again, whatever it is that's causing it, then please tell me and I'll do it. If there's any way I can fix it myself when it happens, again, please tell me and I'll be only too happy to do it.

However, as I said - I've done nothing at all.
Vanya
Ok. I think there will be such problem in a future. 99%
Sajata
Do you mean you -don't- think there will be this problem in the future?
That's what I was going to assume, and then I thought I'd better ask to be on the safe side smile.gif
Hexatomb
I'm having trouble also. I'm using cox and have SMTP with authentication enabled. I'm Hexatomb.com. I can send and recieve mail using the browser based mail clients, however, when I move to outlook, I can receive but not send. And Eudora can't do either.

What SMTP server and port should I be using for my outgoing mail? mail.hexatomb.com? and port 25? can I use a different port?
Serge
The right port for SMTP server is 25. You have to authentificate with your username and password you created for pop3 mailbox.
Alternatively you can just check "Use settings of mail retrival"

You can connect to SMTP server eitehr by your domain name or byr mail.yourdomain.com or by server ip address.
Hexatomb
Now, i'm getting this...

Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: '***@hexatomb.com', Server: 'mail.hexatomb.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR Command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18
Serge
It is because you somewhere checked 'SSL' option. Authentification over SSL doesn't work for SMTP. Try plain SMTP connection as well as POP3 connection because actually your mail client authentificates over POP3 and server open relay for your SMTP to send mail within limited time over SMTP.
Hexatomb
As far as I can tell, outlook does not have SSL activated... blink.gif

Maybe I'll just stick to using the web browser...
artrocity
I'm telling you ... Its a COX thing.

Cox blocks outgoing port 25.
from

http://www.expressresponse.com/cgi-bin/pro....x=0&submit.y=0

Question:

What ports do you block?
Answer:

Reasons For Filtering Ports

1. Protecting our customers - Certain ports are filtered in order to protect our customers. We can protect them from certain common worms and protect them from running dangerous services on their computers that could allow intruders access.
2. Protecting our upstream bandwidth - Upstream bandwidth to a cable plant is limited. If customers over utilize their upstream bandwidth by running high-traffic servers or becoming infected with a worm or virus, it can degrade the service of other customers on their node.
3. Protecting the rest of the Internet - Some filters prevent our customers from attacking other computers on the Internet. In addition to being in our best interests for protecting our bandwidth, it is our duty as good Netizens to prevent abuse of our network.

Port Transport Protocol Direction Reason for Filtering
25 TCP SMTP Both* SMTP Relays
80 TCP HTTP Inbound Web servers, worms
135 UDP NetBios Both Net Send Spam/Pop-ups, Worms
136-139 UDP, TCP NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood
445 TCP MS-DS/NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood
1433 TCP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, Trojans
1434 UDP MS-SQL Inbound Worms, SQLslammer
1900 UDP MS-DS/NetBios Both Worms, Network Neighhood
27374 TCP Subseven Both SubSeven Trojan

*SMTP is only permitted outbound to Cox-provided SMTP servers

Detailed Explanations Of Filtered Ports

25/TCP - SMTP. SMTP stands for Simple Mail Transport Protocol. This is the protocol that mail servers use to exchange email. We block this in order to protect upstream bandwidth and prevent customers from running open relays could potentially be used by others to send spam via our network.[B]
Sajata
Me again!

Hotmail can't sent to my Hostony based 'sajata-web.com' address. Again.

Diagnostic-Code: smtp;550-law12-f82.law12.hotmail.com (hotmail.com) [64.4.19.82] is currently not
550-permitted to relay through this server. Perhaps you have not logged into
550-the pop/imap server in the last 30 minutes or do not have SMTP
550 Authentication turned on in your email client.

Same error message as always.

Thanks smile.gif
Vanya
Is it working now?
Sajata
No, sorry.
Stanly
Please go to http://support.hostony.com and submit a trouble ticket with your full mailboxname and password for it - i need this info to check it at my local computer.
Sajata
Okay.. will do, but I fail to see why you need my password in order to determine that mail.sajata-web.com (server10, I believe) is not allowing anyone to send to my domain. Ah well.
Serge
The answer is simple. We don't have such problem serverwide and all DNS and exim entries for your domain is correct. That's why we neeed to debug your particular mailbox to find a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here