Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I connect to my MSSQL server thru visual studio 2005
Hostony Board > General Support > HowTo
captain_wizz
I have setup a remote mssql server at my house and I can access it just fine. But when I try to connect to my hostony mssql server, I get an error that states that the server does not allow remote connections. What couls be the problem. It sounds like to me that the server roles are not set properly. Anybody with any ideals ? Thanks
MartinB
QUOTE(captain_wizz @ Sep 27 2007, 01:12 AM) *
I have setup a remote mssql server at my house and I can access it just fine. But when I try to connect to my hostony mssql server, I get an error that states that the server does not allow remote connections. What couls be the problem. It sounds like to me that the server roles are not set properly. Anybody with any ideals ? Thanks

They do not allow remote connections to the databases due to security issues, they only allow local connections or connectios between his servers.
If you want them allowing you remote access to a database, you must provide them with the 'dedicated ip' of your connection point (provided by your ISP) and the full details of the database name, user, password, etc.

(Please, Correct me if I'm wrong, these requeriments are for linux servers but surely they apply for windows servers too.)

greetings!
captain_wizz
Ok I have tried vb connection string config as localhost.

This is the string format I used:

connectionString="Data Source=localhost;
Initial Catalog=Database_Name(provided by Hostony);
Persist Security Info=True;
User ID=User_Name(provided by Hostony);
Password=Password(provided by Hostony)"

The Error I get back is :

An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server. When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)

should I use windows Authentication?

Any suggestions.
Lehrer
captain_wizz,

you have mixed up Mysql and MSsql, which is a Microsoft product. You should be using server's IP address, if you have the MSsql db setup the IP will be as follows:

Please let me know if you need any further assistance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here