Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need to setup some type of server restart notification...
Hostony Board > General Support > Suggestions
iampedro
You should have it where you have planned work and notify everyone on that server by some shape or fashion before couple of hours at least before you restart or do server updates/work.

You need to re think this because it is very frustrating as a customer to let you know that my sites are down and you should have indicated some shape or fashion when you are going to restart the server. You need to be accountable to your clients.
MartinB
QUOTE(iampedro @ Feb 2 2007, 02:32 PM) *
You should have it where you have planned work and notify everyone on that server by some shape or fashion before couple of hours at least before you restart or do server updates/work.

You need to re think this because it is very frustrating as a customer to let you know that my sites are down and you should have indicated some shape or fashion when you are going to restart the server. You need to be accountable to your clients.

I was asking that for years.

But they need use the emails from the billing system, not from the server, because there are tons of domains of resellers and a reseller will not be very happy if hostony contact the domain owners directly.

But this is easy to solve, like other companys do, just notify the contacts on the billing database, who have accounts on the dead server.
MarkM
Yes, I agree.
Dima
Yes, I agree with you,guys. On the one hand,such notifications should be sent to the customers when the server is offline, such questions should be discussed over with the bosses of the company.Maybe such actions will be performed in future.

But on the other hand, when the server has some serious troubles and we see that if we don't start doing anything with it that may help to save the server's data for example and the server can get crashed,then of course, all our attention will be devoted to the server itself and to the keys of solving the problem, and not to the problems of emailing our clients.

Besides,sometimes the server starts working in 2 minutes after the restart and there is no time to send any notifications and there is no need actually because the server is already up and running.

Hope for your understanding,Guys. In case you have any other suggestions,don't hesitate to post them on this forum smile.gif
MartinB
QUOTE(Dima @ Feb 2 2007, 11:25 PM) *
But on the other hand, when the server has some serious troubles and we see that if we don't start doing anything with it that may help to save the server's data for example and the server can get crashed,then of course, all our attention will be devoted to the server itself and to the keys of solving the problem, and not to the problems of emailing our clients.

I agree completely.

That is because you need an easy to manage email system and a email template. so is something so easy like press a button "mail to customers with accounts on server X": "we have a problem with X, we will update you trought the forum topic Y"

QUOTE(Dima @ Feb 2 2007, 11:25 PM) *
Besides,sometimes the server starts working in 2 minutes after the restart and there is no time to send any notifications and there is no need actually because the server is already up and running.

I agree again, you can't generate panic on the users for a simple issue of 2 minutes. But I'm sure we are talking about fsck, etc.

For me, (personal), It's more important to have a schedule about planned maintennance. If we know than you need reboot for something the server the day X at HH:MM we can take desicions, alert our users, etc. Make us(and you) look more professional and enterprise level.

When the server is offline, there is nothing to do for us except to wait and fill your system with new tickets wink.gif

just my 2 cents smile.gif keep the good work
Dima
Dear Martin, as you know if there is something planned on the server,for example, OS reload,reboot or maintenance we usually create a post on our Hostony Forum for the customers to know about the things which happen to the server.
MarkM
Ah, yes. That seems to work quite nicely.

Maybe you guys should start posting planned server reboots on the forum as well so when we see our server down, we can go over to the forums to see if it's just going to be a reboot or not.

biggrin.gif I would very much like to see this happen - Thank you!
Dima
Ok we will try,Mark! biggrin.gif
iampedro
I don't know if Helm 4.0 has a module for this or something along those lines... That might help...

Helm Home Page..

Check out the Helm 4 features..

Enjoy...

I know that they haven't fully finished the upgrade tool from Helm 3 to Helm 4 but look at this tool and look at optimizing your website management system to contain and centralize a method to notify your users of updates and service.

Thanks.
MarkM
HELM - Ewww. I hope you realize that 70+% of HOSTONY customers use cPanel. tongue.gif
iampedro
Well in that case... I would suggest something else... RSS feed would be good or something along those lines...
MarkM
Ah yes but I really think something completely web-based would be best, although RSS feeds can be conveniently placed as live bookmarks in firefox. biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here