Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cpanel secure login
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
FrostKing9
Some time ago when logging into Cpanel my Last Login From changed from 127.0.0.1 (secure) to my actual IP address at the moment. Can anyone tell me what possibly happened? Can anyone tell me how to get back to logging in securely.

I use the https://xx.xx.xx.xx:2083 when loggin in, and that's supposed to be secure.

The change occured when I was using IE6 and the problem continues now that I use IE7.

Even Firefox 2.0 reports that the certificate has a problem.

Do I need to buy a certificate to have secure login to my Cpanel again?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Frosty
MarkM
QUOTE(FrostKing9 @ Dec 11 2006, 08:54 AM) *
...my Last Login From changed from 127.0.0.1 (secure) to my actual IP address at the moment.
That IP address is the local IP on the server. It is probably HOSTONY either using that IP to check up on your account, or they have some automated tool that logs in to your cPanel. You haven't been hacked and nobody else has logged into your cPanel.

As long as the IP displays as either yours or 127.0.0.0 or .1 everything is ok. Also note that you may have a dynamic IP address from your ISP that changes, so you might see your IP change from time to time.

No worries.

No.

It looks like you have the web-host talk down. No problem at all. smile.gif
FrostKing9
Mark, thank you for the reply,

Here goes....

QUOTE(MarkMutti @ Dec 11 2006, 07:27 PM) *
That IP address is the local IP on the server.

As long as the IP displays as either yours or 127.0.0.0 or .1 everything is ok. Also note that you may have a dynamic IP address from your ISP that changes, so you might see your IP change from time to time.

No, it shows my then-actual IP address. I've repeatedly checked to verify whether it was my IP or not, and every time it was mine showing on the Cpanel login. Yes, I'm on dynamic IP and and not a static IP. But that should not have any effect on the whether the Hostony server reads my actual IP address or the 127.0.0.1.

It is probably HOSTONY either using that IP to check up on your account, or they have some automated tool that logs in to your cPanel. You haven't been hacked and nobody else has logged into your cPanel.

That's the problem -- when I login into Cpanel it shows my then-current IP address instead of 127.0.0.1. It started doing that months ago, and I haven't found out why, or how to get back to the secure Last Login From: 127.0.0.1.

I have been with the same ISP for about two-years, so nothing has changed there.

This is baffling me.

Thanks again for your input.

Frosty
MarkM
The cPanel IP logging script is known to not be reliable. I wouldn't worry about it.

But every time you contact tech support, they log in to your cPanel as root (127.0.0.1.)

The same thing happens on a server I have that isn't run by HOSTONY. If you start noticing files changing, new directories or email address, then you're being hacked.
MartinB
QUOTE(FrostKing9 @ Dec 11 2006, 01:54 PM) *
Some time ago when logging into Cpanel my Last Login From changed from 127.0.0.1 (secure) to my actual IP address at the moment. Can anyone tell me what possibly happened? Can anyone tell me how to get back to logging in securely.

I use the https://xx.xx.xx.xx:2083 when loggin in, and that's supposed to be secure.

The change occured when I was using IE6 and the problem continues now that I use IE7.

Even Firefox 2.0 reports that the certificate has a problem.

Frosty

I'm not sure about I'm understanding your point, but when you see the last login as 127.0.0.1 is because some one login to your cpanel using the root or reseller password, or directly clicking the "cpanel" icon on the WHM panel, under the list of accounts on the server.

As I know, it have nothing with https or http access(encrypted or plain text), but maybe I'm confused and not understanding which your problem is sad.gif

The Last IP is just this, the last IP of the last login to cpanel, no matter if it goes trought secure or not secure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here