Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Email Lists still down...no response in over 2 hours!!
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
franz
I am getting soooo tired of this. What can I do about this problem with tech support???

[ticket number 51650]FRANZ
2006-12-07 19:09:17
Please check the email list service (MailMan, or whatever it is). Several emails have not been getting distributed.

User/Staff follow-ups
[tech's name redacted]
2006-12-07 19:18:12 Dear Customer,

Could you please describe the problem with more details.
Rate It:

FRANZ
2006-12-07 19:50:25
EDIT Yes.

I send an email to address '[list's email address]'.

When operating normally (NOT now!), the list will deliver the email to the many people subscribed to that email list.

Right now, when mail is sent to '[list's email address]', it "disappears" and does not get delivered. It has been over twelve hours since the first of these emails have been reported as undelivered, and they are still not delivered.

When I visit the list's archive site at http://[domainname]/pipermail/[list's directoryname]/2006q4/date.html I also do not see those emails.

THIS PROBLEM HAPPENS OFTEN!! PLEASE FIX THE CAUSE, NOT JUST RESTART THE SERVICE!! This is NOT the first ticket I have sent you with this problem...I create and send this type of ticket for this problem OFTEN!

FRANZ
2006-12-07 22:05:12
EDIT It has been two and a half hours...do you have any update?

FRANZ
2006-12-07 22:22:42
EDIT Complaint message I received the "promised response" within 15 minutes, but it was only a request for more information, which I responded to. I have not received any information or updates in about 2 hours now!
sad.gif
Slavik
Please accept our apology for the delay with response.
Your issue was resolved.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
franz
QUOTE(Slavik @ Dec 8 2006, 06:27 AM) *
Please accept our apology for the delay with response.
Your issue was resolved.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev

Uh, yeah...thanks
Slavik
You are welcome.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
kanasta
EXIM is COMPLETELY DOWN!

How can you NOT fix services that are FAILED for 2 days!?"!?!?
MarkM
Did you put in a ticket?
Slavik
QUOTE(kanasta @ Dec 9 2006, 11:56 PM) *
EXIM is COMPLETELY DOWN!

How can you NOT fix services that are FAILED for 2 days!?"!?!?

Please submit the trouble ticket and provide us with your domain name.

Thank you.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
MartinB
To the people here using mail lists... Why you simply don't install the free soft PHPList (http://www.phplist.com/) ? You can found it on the Fantastico TM tool. It's a very advanced newsletter system, give it a try, and stop getting mad with the Majordomo List Manager.

This piece of soft supports all you are using now on Majordomo, plus a lot of features more, like bacth sending per time period (to keep friendly with your hosting provider AUP), and tons more.
franz
QUOTE(mblendinger @ Dec 11 2006, 04:07 PM) *
To the people here using mail lists... Why you simply don't install the free soft PHPList (http://www.phplist.com/) ? You can found it on the Fantastico TM tool. It's a very advanced newsletter system, give it a try, and stop getting mad with the Majordomo List Manager.

This piece of soft supports all you are using now on Majordomo, plus a lot of features more, like bacth sending per time period (to keep friendly with your hosting provider AUP), and tons more.

If PHPList truly was capable of replicating all of Majordomo's features, then I would try it. The last time I checked, though, PHPList was unable to allow any member of the list EXCEPT THE OWNER to submit an item for distribution. I am dealing with a community which wishes to disseminate news and information from any of its members to all of its members, it is not ideal for PHPList's single-point-of-distribution model (a la Newsletters).

Also, why is it unreasonable to expect the hosting service to keep Majordomo (or whatever equivalent they use here) up and running? They advertise email lists as one of the services available to its hosted customers, and to me it is as important as the web server.

Also, I am not mad at Majordomo...it is software that is capable of very robust, reliable, and high-volume operation. I do, however, feel I have every right to be mad at Hostony for not monitoring and configuring the email list service to remain reliable and useful to its customers, AS ADVERTISED.
MartinB
QUOTE(franz @ Dec 14 2006, 12:22 PM) *
If PHPList truly was capable of replicating all of Majordomo's features, then I would try it. The last time I checked, though, PHPList was unable to allow any member of the list EXCEPT THE OWNER to submit an item for distribution. I am dealing with a community which wishes to disseminate news and information from any of its members to all of its members, it is not ideal for PHPList's single-point-of-distribution model (a la Newsletters).

Oh I see now your point about newsletter vs a mailist, I think you can check the PHPList features list to see if it's suitable for your needs: http://www.phplist.com/details

Btw, Here it show Majordomo as a "phplist : similar applications", http://tincan.co.uk/?lid=1205, so maybe it have similar features.

QUOTE(franz @ Dec 14 2006, 12:22 PM) *
Also, why is it unreasonable to expect the hosting service to keep Majordomo (or whatever equivalent they use here) up and running? They advertise email lists as one of the services available to its hosted customers, and to me it is as important as the web server.

Also, I am not mad at Majordomo...it is software that is capable of very robust, reliable, and high-volume operation. I do, however, feel I have every right to be mad at Hostony for not monitoring and configuring the email list service to remain reliable and useful to its customers, AS ADVERTISED.

I know, maybe it's a problem with the cPanel integration with Majordomo, you will need to ask hostony what is the source of the problem with mailing lists so maybe you can take a right choice if still with majordomo or not.

Hope all it's fixed for you smile.gif
franz
QUOTE(mblendinger @ Dec 14 2006, 10:48 AM) *
Oh I see now your point about newsletter vs a mailist, I think you can check the PHPList features list to see if it's suitable for your needs: http://www.phplist.com/details

Thank you, Martin. However, the very first item in the "details" link you sent me is:
QUOTE(http://www.phplist.com/details @ Dec 14, 2006, when I last checked it)
phplist is a one-way email announcement delivery system. It is great for newsletters, publicity lists, notifications, and many other uses. (It is different from group mailing list systems like mailman.)

It appears that nothing has changed since I last checked on this possibility.
MartinB
LOL now I see it, sorry about spending your time :-/
franz
QUOTE(mblendinger @ Dec 14 2006, 12:29 PM) *
LOL now I see it, sorry about spending your time :-/

That's quite alright...you did NOT waste my time! I am happy to learn, even if the benefits aren't immediate.

cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here