Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Email down - 12+ hours - Recurring Problem
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Essawy
Hello all,
I'm new with hostony, this is my first month, and the first shock was yesterday's problems. My site stopped for more than 30 hours which made me lose the trust of many clients. Hostony suport are saying that this is a sudden problem and will not happen again, but this is not enough for me. I can't suffer anymore problems and my website must stay online 24 hours in order to be able to go normally with my business. So, I want to define whether I'll continue with hostony or i'll take my money back and look for another host.

I need your help!
I want to ask people who were with hostony for a long time, how many problems happened with your hosts? Note that I'm talking about problems that cause stopping of the site. Is this problem happen a lot?
I want you to write the period of your site with hostony and the number of problems happened.

WAITING YOUR KIND REPLIES!
Thanks
bpgisme
Well, I really love Hostony. Every time a problem has come up for me they've fixed it as soon as they could.

Most of the time things that have gone wrong on my site have gone wrong due to a code error I made myself, but there are times when the servers are overloaded. It's not uncommon on any shared hosting. MySQL is also subject to problems sometimes and again that's common all over the internet.

My site has been up on Hostony since Jan. 2004. I've had many sites up since 1998 and for me, Hostony is the best host I've ever used. The support staff are great. biggrin.gif

The sudden problem your sites had were due to this maybe?
http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=4962

Of course, my site is not a business site, it's a very large personal site for me and my family and my music, so I'm sure folks who use the service to make money may have a different take on it, but I hope that helps anyway... Hostony's been great to me. biggrin.gif

-Bonnie
ChrisP
Overall I would rate Hostony as follows on a scale of 1-10:

Server uptime: 8.5 But that takes of 1 point for the bad sever crash about 2 years ago. However, Hostony was very helpful during that time and compensated the accounts on it at thier expense. So besides that episode, I would rate them at a 9.5

Customer Support, Message Board: 8.0 They tend to be slow sometimes in replying, but I understand that they can be busy at times. Not my problem but theirs, so they do lose points for that. If you need more help, hire them.

Customer Support, Ticket System: 9.0 If anyone who has been replying to my current ticket is reading this, they probably just fainted. Yes, I am having a very frustrating time with a ticket right now, but it is not a serious issue and they have been very helpful overall. Just give them a nudge one in a while if they take to long to reply.

Overall, I would give Hostony a 9.0, I have been here since Jan 2004. At least that was the first bill I paid, lol. Yes there have been problems, but those things happen everywhere. If any webhost offers 100% uptime, they are lying to you. Servers get problems and have to be fixed, sometimes rebooted. Sometimes they crash, something the webhost provider and the customer don't want to happen, but it happens.

Like Bonnie, my sites are for personal use. (Hi Bonnie) And the account I was going to use for my business was moved to the corporate server, so I am a bit more relaxed about downtime. My current problem is an email issue and not one that prevents me from sending or receiving email, just a wierd issue.

So I would say give Hostony a chance before you decidr to change hosts.

Chris
Rastus
Been here for a long time as well, Started with one site \ account and now have multiple sites and accounts. I usually only visit this forum when I have a problem and that's what's going on as we speak, I have several sites down on one account. I have little patience and can be very demanding at times which Sergey, Oleg, Alexandre and the others can attest to. I moved to Hostony because they were recommended on a website I used to visit. I had been searching for a new host and after experimenting with 2-3 others I chose Hostony, and I've been here ever since. Not sure how long you have been using the web for hosting or buliding sites etc.. but you will find if you don't already know that no system is foolproof. Even if you were to have your own server in your office at your desk running linux - firewalled - OC-3 - and one small site, it will fail at some point.

I have recommended Hostony to others and they moved here and had a very bad time in the beginning, but the issue was finally resolved and they still have thier sites with hostony. My main site had some issues recently and they worked it out in due time. and as I stated before I am still waiting on a reply to my currently submitted trouble ticket. All my sites are $$$ generators for me so when any of them have an issue I am losing money as well as my reputation is getting harmed. If I were to depend on my sites for my single income they would be on a dedicated server.

In my Day job I'm a Network Admin in a multi OS enviroment, this gives me the added insight in knowing what Hostony Tech Support has to deal with on a daily basis.

Hope this gives you some answers...

Long Story short - Hostony is a good hosting company, great pricing as well as great Tech Support. Always remember, perfection exists only in Heaven.
MartinB
QUOTE(Essawy @ May 11 2006, 07:26 PM) *
Hello all,
I'm new with hostony, this is my first month, and the first shock was yesterday's problems. My site stopped for more than 30 hours which made me lose the trust of many clients. Hostony suport are saying that this is a sudden problem and will not happen again, but this is not enough for me. I can't suffer anymore problems and my website must stay online 24 hours in order to be able to go normally with my business. So, I want to define whether I'll continue with hostony or i'll take my money back and look for another host.

I need your help!
I want to ask people who were with hostony for a long time, how many problems happened with your hosts? Note that I'm talking about problems that cause stopping of the site. Is this problem happen a lot?
I want you to write the period of your site with hostony and the number of problems happened.

WAITING YOUR KIND REPLIES!
Thanks

Hello Essawy:

I think if it's your first month here it's so soon to make an analisys/desicion. Just wait a few months and start forging your own personal experience smile.gif

greetings! smile.gif
Killswitch
I have been with Hostony since the beginning of the year, and my site is primarily only for personal use. My site goes down every once in awhile, which I can't complain about, because no matter your host, you will have downtime at one point in time. I've never been down as long as you said, or even remotely close to that time period.

My only concern, and I'm not sure what causes it, is that several times of the day I will notice my site goes slow. I'm not sure if its an issue with being on VPS and need more memory, or what the problem is. Also, dnsstuff.com reports that I am ranked a C, which could relate to the slow speed.

My site is only based upon one game, and is entirely for fun and to distribute resources (small resources at that), but they have been good to me, helped me solve my problems fast, and have been very kind when I have issues. When I first joined, I heard a few negative things, but I must say that none of them relate to me, and I can't see where they could have come from.
Matthew
Once again, it is the beginning of a work week and I find all email down and support offline.

My last email was over 12 hours ago. I have tested in past half hour send to/from internal and external accounts and no email are delivered and no errors are returned.

This is VERY frustrating as it seems to occur every few weeks and usually on a business day.

No response yet to my support...
Slavik
Dear Mattew,
please provide me with the ticket's ID.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
Matthew
QUOTE(Slavik @ Jun 19 2006, 05:32 AM) *
Dear Mattew,
please provide me with the ticket's ID.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev

Ticket 31696. Now one hour on ticket and NO response, email still down.
PCDoc
I've been here for years. My websites and emails go down from time to time. 5 to 10 minutes a couple times a month except when they change servers on you. Then, I've been down or without email for many hours. Sometimes all day and overnight. The free domain they provide when you sign up is not automatically updated. That site was down for days on its renewal date. They say that they sent out emails warning of future upgrades. Never happens.

They do respond to support tickets, usually only fixing one of multiple problems. I would recommend opening support tickets for only one problem at a time. You need to constantly check your tickets because they will tell you its "another departments problem", but they may not forward it until you inquire about it.

You can check previous postings to get an idea of other problems people have had. There was an enormous amount of upset people at the beginning of the month during a recent batch of server upgrades. You won't be able to find the posts because there was a supposed hack of the forum. How convenient for them. Let's see how long this post remains.

When things are running well, I am very happy with Hostony. You’ll have to determine how much frustration you want to put up with.

Good Luck

PCDoc
bpgisme
You won't be able to find the posts because there was a supposed hack of the forum.

dry.gif

There was definitely a hack of the forum on June 2nd. I have a screenshot of the hacked page.
I won't post it, but you can email me if you like and I'll send it to you.

-Bonnie
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here