Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: possible Spam mail?
Hostony Board > Cpanel/WebHost Manager support > Cpanel Email
Mystic
in the last couple days I've suddenly started receiving 'returned to sender' email, that I never sent, from email accounts that don't even exist on my account. I've checked and rechecked my personal PC and there are no viruses here. Is it possible that someone has hijacked my mail server account or something? or is it as simple as they are spoofing mail addresses to make it look like i'm sending spam (which I'm not). And how do I fix either of these problems. I've gotten aproximately 60 of these a day.
Slavik
Hello,
it looks like the usual spam.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
MartinB
QUOTE(Mystic @ Apr 18 2006, 10:46 PM) *
in the last couple days I've suddenly started receiving 'returned to sender' email, that I never sent, from email accounts that don't even exist on my account. I've checked and rechecked my personal PC and there are no viruses here. Is it possible that someone has hijacked my mail server account or something? or is it as simple as they are spoofing mail addresses to make it look like i'm sending spam (which I'm not). And how do I fix either of these problems. I've gotten aproximately 60 of these a day.

do you have some php script on a contact page or something ?
(like a form to send you mails from the web)
Mystic
well yes. anyone who uses phpbb forums has this. but they aren't using any legitimate email address. its randomletters@mysticalkoala.com
MartinB
QUOTE(Mystic @ Apr 19 2006, 11:22 PM) *
well yes. anyone who uses phpbb forums has this. but they aren't using any legitimate email address. its randomletters@mysticalkoala.com

Have you checked the Full headers of the mails ?

Oh well....PhpBB... the best target for novice web crackers and vandalism... sad.gif
Mystic
I'm comforted knowing my host is providing me with such secure software ph34r.gif

also I need command line access to a standard UNIX type patch application to patch both my forums, is this something I can do or will I need someone there to do this?
MartinB
QUOTE(Mystic @ Apr 20 2006, 04:51 PM) *
I'm comforted knowing my host is providing me with such secure software ph34r.gif

also I need command line access to a standard UNIX type patch application to patch both my forums, is this something I can do or will I need someone there to do this?

You can ask for ssh access service to your account (for free), but I think you will have not the permissions to run a patch, but you can try smile.gif, or you can ask Support guys to do it for you, they surely will help you (they has been all times very cooperative, at least on my own experience) with this task if you provide precise and detailed info about what to do.
MarkM
My Invasion Invision Power Board doesn't cause problems. Just ask Hostony to put it in Fantastico for you. I have it on my server, for my customers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here