Hi -

I have recently joined hostony on a starter reseller, Linux plan, originally only intending to host www sites, as I run my own on-site mail servers. (For example mail.domainone.com and mail.domaintwo.com, with domainone being my primary.)

I run off-site secondary backups for these mail servers, but some times these are of limited use as where I am, internet is still fairly much in its infancy (Vietnam), so when an international backbone goes down (which they used to do fairly frequently), all my secondarys are useless as far as overseas mail is concerned - so, I was wondering if I would be able to use the servers you provide (for mail) as backups?

If this is possible, I assume I would first need to create a addon + sub domain on the primary called 'sub' (for domaintwo), then need to create a mail forward (alter the MX record in Cpanel) for both domains? (mail2.domainone.com & mail2.domaintwo.com)
As far as setting up the DNS MX records, I run private DNS servers, and currently have them pointing at the backups - so MX won't need changing so long as the hosts here are named the same, though the mail2 host records would need to change to reflect the IP I get from hostony, or alternatively create a NS record for the hosts, pointing to your DNS servers for resolution?

If this is all possible, would they act as 'store and push' or 'store and pull' servers? (ie they retry my host until it is online again and then send on the mail, or do they wait for my host to come back online and issue a ETRN command?) And for how long (and how much of it) mail would they store before dropping or bouncing it?

Sorry for the heavy reading..just keen to see if it can work/happen or not..

- Nehvun

Or should I be looking at WHM for some of this?