Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: server status always in the red
Hostony Board > General Support > Resellers Room
rez
I don't understand the policy when it comes to disk space. I was told that maintenace is done/changes are made when there is less than 20 percent left. I'm always seeing "red" alerts in server status in cpanels.

Disk hdb1 (/backup) 87 %
Disk hda5 (/home) 91 %
Disk hda3 (/var) 98 %

I have clients complaining about sites being down and e-mail problems.

I am told through AIM the this was probably due to network traffic.

1. Why are these disks left at these percentages?
2. How long do they stay that way?
3. What good is monitoring 24/7 if this is not fixed?

4. How is network traffic monitored and what has an effect on it? (ram and processor speed, right?)

5. "No, usually network traffic depends on users activity and datacenter" I was told this in AIM support, after asking #4. Could someone explain what this means?

6. Does network traffic and free disk space have affects on each other?
In other words, I was told that my clients site was down, "probably due to temporary network traffic." Can this problem be better avoided, and less likely to happen, by having at least 20% free disk space?
rez
Support? Anyone?
Lehrer
rez,

please provide me with your domain name to identify the server your account is currently on.
rez
totalii.com

Right now, (it's been a while since my post) there are two at 91%, blinking red.

By the way, hope I didn't sound mad. I just don't understand it. Maybe this has nothing to do whith sites being down. I just know that it wasn't fun to be in front of a client, trying to show them a designed page including hosting, and it was down. I know this happens but then I got a call from someone else the next day with a similiar complaint. Plus my friend, was having similiar problems with his hostony account.

So I'm just trying to troubleshoot and understand the answers to the above questions. If I ask on AIM, we usually get, "everything is up right now and looks fine".

Thanks for any help.
MarkM
Rez,

On a shared server, this stuff happens. Usually because Hostony will put many customers on one, to maximize usage from the server. There is nothing wrong. Hostony continuously monitors their servers. If a diskspace issue is going to occur, they will know before it happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here