Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mailing lists are down - Server28
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
franz
I've tried to enter a support ticket, but just get "invalid client IP" error there. So, here is my issue:

Mail to any of my email lists bounce!

I've deleted the email below, because I finially WAS able to get the Support Ticket system to work. I kept getting "invalid customer IP" for a while.
franz
Put in a support ticket, was "addressed" but not fixed. I responded, but that was ignored.

I guess a new support ticket is needed in order to get that 15-20 minute response. mad.gif
Lehrer
I have fixed the problem with mail lists on that server. What was your ticket ID?
franz
The ticket was 18172 (the first was 18158). However, none of my lists work. Anything sent to the list simply bounces ("local delivery failed" message from Mailer-Daemon@Server28.fastbighost.com)

Also, can't edit any of my lists in CPanel ("Not found"), or when I try to add a new list:

"Mailing List Maintenance

Mailing List Created
The mailing list bleh on harrisburgfriends.org with password blehh was successfully created.

Unable to create bleh mailing list."

(Current score: Twice fixed, yet still broken.)
Lehrer
the lists were temporary disabled for now because of a great ammount of incoming spam messages, which also raises server's load average level.
franz
Please keep me informed.

You may think that the web site is your customer's greatest (or only) need. However, in my case the Mailing Lists serving about fifty people is the most critical hosting function.

It is as though you had a customer whose web site was down.

Keep this in mind, and understand why I feel confused and dismayed when you elect to shut down my mailing lists because of "a great ammount of incoming spam messages". To me, this is DOWNTIME which you guarantee will be less than 1% (hahahahaha!).

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
Lehrer
Franz,

you can use PHP lists meanwhile, (this is a free script available in Fantastico) as they are much more convenient and also easy to use as well.

Lehrer
franz
Oh, yes. Thank you. dry.gif Of course, I don't have access to my subscriber lists, list archives, or moderators right now. ohmy.gif

I think my best bet would probably be to go elsewhere. After all, I have no indication from you as to how long I will be without these lists. Last time (September of this year) it was at least a week. mad.gif

This is so depressing. sad.gif

What's really funny/sad is that I have a reseller account. I am extremely grateful that I never resold this to anyone!!! rolleyes.gif
MartinB
He Franz:
look, put an eye on the PHPList (http://tincan.co.uk/?lid=294) script on Fantastico, maybe is the best you can do, because many other hosts directly have the cpanel maillists feature disabled due to spam prevention and overload of the servers (mail lists, chats, spammassasin and etc are big server overloaders....)

I just think that is best if you don't base your procedures on this mailman, better use some php script like PHPList and you can be sure you will be able to run it in the major of the web host companies (inclusive you can run it on a windows server, surely.)

I don't know nothing about mailing lists (i hate this!), but surely PHPList (or other) will be more feature rich and modern.

Good luck with your large problem smile.gif
franz
Martin,

phpList is not an exact duplicate of Majordomo/Mailman/Listserv. Here is an important difference, from the phpList website:

Posting to the mailinglist is via a webpage. It is therefore a one-way announcements system, directed from you to your audience.

My users, they are members of a church, they do not always have access to the Web. It is imperative that messages be able to be distributed by sending an email to an address, and this forwards to all subscribers.

I have spam-fighting safeguards in place; only list subscribers can send mail to the list. To date we have never had ANY spam on any of these lists.

Also, I must ask...how is a listserver related to "large amounts of incoming spam"? How will stopping the list server lead to reduction in spam? And why does Hostony still advertise "Majordomo with autoresponders" for their packages when this is evidently not available to me? Can this not be considered "downtime"?
MartinB
QUOTE(franz @ Dec 11 2005, 08:44 PM)
Martin,

phpList is not an exact duplicate of Majordomo/Mailman/Listserv.  Here is an important difference, from the phpList website:

"Posting to the mailinglist is via a webpage. It is therefore a one-way announcements system, directed from you to your audience."

Sorry, I have not noted that sad.gif

I look if it have a parser to configure a PIPE on your email forwards to some php script who imports the mail and resend it, but i can't found this.... huh.gif
franz
Yay! smile.gif After reopening the expired ticket, and insisting it stay open until list servers are restored, the lists are back in operation!!

Thanks, Hostony, for restoring this service. laugh.gif
MartinB
glad to ear that smile.gif
franz
mad.gif Gonna put another ticket in. Mailing lists are down AGAIN!
Slavik
We saw your trouble ticket. We'll try to fix the problem ASAP.
franz
dry.gif Mailing lists are back. Thank you, I guess.
Lehrer
You are welcome smile.gif Happy New Year
franz
Wow! They were up for a month! But, they are down again. sad.gif

Please check status of mailing lists on Server28. Thanks.
Lehrer
The mail lists on server 28 should be fine now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here