Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AOL
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
MartinB
Hello everybody:

I know AOL blocking servers IP is a very common issue, so I think you are an expert on ask for unblocking.

Can you tell me wich is the best contact to contact aol regarding this issue ?

Best regards!
Slavik
I's advise you to phone them
MartinB
ops, ok sad.gif

thank you!
Slavik
You'll also send them an e-mail but they are very slow with unlisting the Ips.
MartinB
ok, I'll try.
We have not very @aol.com contacts smile.gif
The problem was one php email confirmation script of a customer was exploited to send spam(friends, watch your coding... not accept $_POST['To'] variables trought post or get in mail scripts! mad.gif ), we have delete the script and the email queue, but some ~200 emails was sended, the mayority to aol.com accounts.

well I'll try to mail aol.com, maybe in 2008 the IP will be allowed again ph34r.gif
Slavik
I wish you good luck with the problem.
Hope they'll help you soon.
franz
ATT.net has banned Server28 for at least the past year. Nothing that Hostony offers on a shared server will work. Don't waste your time with anything other than a good VPS server if you can't live with the blacklisting problem. Plus, having many hundreds of shared users on your host means you WILL have these problems!

See my past posts for my many frustrations over this problem.
MartinB
AOL ######. <-- censored, try to guess what i have wrote laugh.gif )

It's a very common shared server problem to get blacklisted by AOL, I have a personal vps server currently blacklisted... Also, is hard to get unlisted...

but... well, I have not many AOL friends/customers biggrin.gif

Plus, having many hundreds of shared users on your host means you WILL have these problems!

It's not a directly relation with the accounts number on a server, I have some VPS with only 2 domains and I get the shared IP blacklisted due to the exploit by spammers of a bad coded phpmailer script.

bad people, bad programmers, bad luck rolleyes.gif
Lehrer
Martin, you can buy dedicated IPs (if you wish) for your customers and assign them the dedicated IP as their main one instead of the shared IP of your server. This will prevent such problems in future.
MartinB
yes I have various IPs, but I "think" that the mail server (there is 1 mail server per server) send mails with the same shared ip of the server, not the dedicated ip of the user account... isn't it ?

Anyways I'm talking of a personal server, not hostony, so don't get worried about it smile.gif
Lehrer
OK, no problem, Martin. There is a possibility to use a dedicated IP for your mailserver instead of the shared one though. You are to define rDNS for your mailserver.
MartinB
QUOTE(Lehrer @ Dec 6 2005, 05:12 PM)
OK, no problem, Martin.  There is a possibility to use a dedicated IP for your mailserver instead of the shared one though. You are to define rDNS for your mailserver.

cool! nice to know that.

surely "franz" will be interested in the solution, he was dealing with this problem for months smile.gif

Thank you for your help and welcome back to the forums, you have been missed.
franz
Holy smokes...WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME THIS!!!

How apparent it is that the technical support team on this hosting service simply is incapable of adequately communicating with customers in english.

PLEASE PROVIDE ME WITH INFORMATION ON HOW TO ACCOMPLISH THIS IN PRACTICE!!
MartinB
Maybe Lehrer is talking about dedicated servers, and not for sharing servers.. but keep communicating with him, he is very helpfull and cooperative.
franz
Yes, you may be right.

There is a possibility to use a dedicated IP for your mailserver instead of the shared one though. You are to define rDNS for your mailserver.
I am also wondering why reverse DNS would even work. Each email has basically one piece of un-alterable information: the IP address of the sending server. It seems to me that this is what AOL, ATT, etc would use to compare to blacklists. And I should think that blacklists are made up of IP addresses, not hostnames.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here