Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 64.74.112.74 IS DOWN
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
jchrastina
64.74.112.74 is down AGAIN. NO WEBSITES, NO EMAIL, NO cPANEL.
jchrastina
One hour has passed with NO REPLY at all.
I have opened a trouble ticket (2028) and also sent an email to support @hostony.com.

If you value your custonmers you would AT LEAST reply and also post an announcement in the "News and Announcements" section.

You are driving me away.
BigJimW
http://www.moonport.org is also down. Same server.

Any ETA? This is driving me blink.gif
Vanya
Sorry about this dalay. We were really busy trying to solve a problem. Now we are working on the server. /usr partition is corrupt. We are doing all what we can to try and avoid losing data. We've plugged in
a new hard drive. Now we are copying all users directories from the
old hdd to the new one.
Vanya
We are working on the server. /usr partition is corrupt. We are
doing all what we can to try and avoid losing data. We've plugged in
a new hard drive. Now we are copying all users directories from the
old hdd to the new one.
jchrastina
That's what we were told MANY hours ago. I'm sorry, but it doesn't take THAT long to copy a HDD of the size you have.

I was also given this same exact explanation for 64.74.112.74 several hours ago.

You know what? I FLAT OUT DON'T BELIEVE YOU.

You either don't know what's wrong or you won't say what the delay is.

My guess is that you have totally LOST everyone's data and you're sweating bullets trying to figur eout how to get it back. I recall reading that you do a back up ONCE A WEEK! I said then and repeat NOW. You need to do backups EVERY DAY!!!
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif
apsoda
it's a very bad day when you get to your desk and your voicemail is full of angry clients...

please, how much longer... any news?
john
Hello.
I'm still unable to get to the 64.74.112.74 box.
Does this also still have a problem?
thiessen
A reply from Hostony would be nice unsure.gif. Leaving clients in the dark is not good business practice.

I've made it my job to resell your services, but I have now lost a half a day because there's nothing to sell.
chris
mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

I try to connect to my hosting........64.74.112.......and no results! "Oh what fine service!!!!!"
And...No words from hostony to clients like me! ...................This is a very bad service!

I hope they solve the problem fast.....because all clients the next time go away!
Alec
The /usr partition was crashed and firstly we tried to restore it with manual fsck. But as it turned out that partition dev/hda2 is corrupt and unrepairable. Then we've decided to install a new hdd on the server and mirror all data on it. Now we are copying data from the old server to the new one and restoring the server configuration.
We understand that there is a very long downtime of the server 64.74.112.74 and how is it an inconvenient for you. So we will level up each account on this server after restoration as a compensation for the server downtime.
Sorry for our little activity on the forum, we are really make all efforts to restore the server asap.
Thank you for the patience and we'll notify you about any updates.
thiessen
Lucky! What exactly is considered at level up?
jchrastina
The lack of communications, the lack of redundancy (RAID??), the lack of backup, the lack of service, the lack of support.

I'm sorry, but this just doesn't cut it.

It happens over and over and over again. I need a webhost that doesn't keep me on daily and every other day "pins-and-needles". Anymore, a day doesn't go by when I'm not waiting for one of my six clients to call me to see WHY their website is down or WHY their email doesn't work.

I have had enough.

YOU NEED TO CLEAN UP YOUR TECHNICAL ARCHITECTURE AND YOUR REGULAR COMMUNICATIONS WITH YOUR CUSTOMERS.

I need to start looking elsewhere.

(And I agree with Thiessen, what exactly do you mean by "level up each account on this server"? Does that mean you'll give us extra days or months of poor service??)
Vanya
/usr partition is corrupt. We are doing all what we can to try and avoid losing data. We've plugged in
a new hard drive. Now we are copying all users directories from the old hdd to the new one.
Mow we've almost fixed this problem. Sorry about temporary inconveniences. In a short terms everything will back to normal.
BigJimW
Err, did we just lose all the data? ohmy.gif I'm getting the Apache page now.

http://www.moonport.org
Linear Helix
Hrm... what a time for me to renew my hosting with Hostony. I am getting detrimental time-related errors on my forum... Which are equivalent to making the forum unusable. I might have to reconsider next year's hosting. dry.gif
chuck
If anyone finds a company that I could replace services with, please post! I have been with this company for several months and the problems won't stop........my site are down all the time? .......... the excuses won't fly anymore!!!!
Linear Helix
I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt because, frankly, just the last few days is the extent of the time I've had any site problems related to the servers themselves. I don't know about everyone else, but I can understand a couple days of errors and a bit of downtime if the problems are that severe and not under their control. I for one will wait before I pass judgement, though it is getting pretty unbearable for me...
BigJimW
I think I'm about the only one not panicking here. wink.gif I see where these guys are coming from. They're working on fixing the problem. For them to come in here and answer every inqury and answer every trouble ticket will only make the repair take longer.

Trust me, I know what happens when a server crashes. It's not a pretty site. ohmy.gif Ever have a server for a major financial institution that services 4.5 million people go on the fritz? Our call que caps at 500 calls. And we were in a que like that for 2 days! If they passed out cyanide capsules for us techs, I would be dead now. tongue.gif

- Jim
chuck
This is approximately 12 time in the last 3 months, I keep hoping for the best, but It would be easier to leave now, before my reputation is gone. I love their packages, functionality, price and quick response to questions. But I can not afford to have all my sites and my customers site fail every few days.
Danimal
QUOTE(BigJimW @ Jul 24 2003, 08:15 PM)
They're working on fixing the problem. For them to come in here and answer every inqury and answer every trouble ticket will only make the repair take longer.

Big Jim, that's just crazy talk. Because computers and all of the various connections to the internet are always 100% reliable, if my site goes down, even for only two seconds, I immediately send seven trouble tickets, three emails, and post at least one thread here at the board. This is the surest way to get it fixed, no? laugh.gif
Linear Helix
What Jim was saying, you see, is that the more they have to waste time replying (when the forum is already and quite apparently filled with threads all on the same problem) the more they have to put off their repairs or whatnot. I'm willing to bet they are a small team, that's for sure...
BigJimW
QUOTE(Danimal @ Jul 24 2003, 08:35 PM)
QUOTE(BigJimW @ Jul 24 2003, 08:15 PM)
They're working on fixing the problem. For them to come in here and answer every inqury and answer every trouble ticket will only make the repair take longer.

Big Jim, that's just crazy talk. Because computers and all of the various connections to the internet are always 100% reliable, if my site goes down, even for only two seconds, I immediately send seven trouble tickets, three emails, and post at least one thread here at the board. This is the surest way to get it fixed, no? laugh.gif

laugh.gif That is true! tongue.gif

Well, there is SOME good news. Seems data is not lost. I got into my CPanel and all the files are there. But I noticed that my URL brings me to the Apache page

Yet, I can see my site here:

http://64.74.112.74/~moonport/

Wonder what happened. Seems my URL isn't resolving correctly. unsure.gif
apsoda
umm... guys, I think Danimal understood BigJimW's post just fine... he was being sarcastic

i think we're just waiting for the DNS servers to be resurected, no?
Linear Helix
I'd say not. There are still more problems than DNS errors.
Danimal
QUOTE(apsoda @ Jul 24 2003, 08:43 PM)
umm... guys, I think Danimal understood BigJimW's post just fine... he was being sarcastic

Indeed.

The internet is not reliable. Sites go down, both big and small. It comes with the territory. Mine's gone down for a few minutes here and there, and even for a few hours sometimes. Getting all fired up over it won't fix anything. Besides, with all the different conncetions between you and your server, it's not always--or even most of the time--the host's fault.
Xenobug
Hi!
I think someone already posted this question, but will we be getting an account upgrade because of this? (level up).

? ph34r.gif
Linear Helix
I think Vanya said anyone using that server would get a single level improvement in their hosting package. Of course... if you find the hosting to be bad, I don't know how that's a benefit.
Vanya
We've already copied all data whith NO loses. Cpanel is accessible too. So everything will be alright soon.
Sorry for inconveniences.
BigJimW
The only problem now is I cannot connect with my FTP client and my URL still points to the Apache installation default page.

Linear Helix
Only problem for me is that I still have the inexplicable time related errors I mentioned in General Support. Can someone get that fixed? My forum is unusable.
apsoda
my email client has been sucessfully logging into 2 of my three email accounts for the last 15 minutes, but coming up empty handed...

does anyone know what the chances are that all of that email is gone for good? or is there a chance that it might still make it through?
Xenobug
I don't know, I just transferred everything from Hostsave and their service was terrible. They got hacked and I couldn't upload anything to my site for 2 weeks, but they kept claiming there was something wrong on my end and wouldn't help me (or any of their other customers).
Hostony has been great at replying to my questions and their prices are excellent. Of course my sites are not business sites and I can understand how frustrating it would be if they were. Not that it isn't frustrating to not have my sites up, but I can afford to be a bit more patient.
Anyway, a small upgrade would be appreciated, and hopefully all of our sites will be up soon. I know they're workin hard on it. At least I hope they are! smile.gif
BigJimW
YEEAHHH! Working now. biggrin.gif

Now, whats all this talk about an upgrade? wink.gif
Alec
All accounts are restored now.
Apache server is restored but mysql and email is still down.
We are fixing it.
Thank all for the patience.
BigJimW
Oh shit. My Moonport forum is gone! dry.gif

EDIT: MySQL is still down. I think that would explain it.
BigJimW
Hmm don't break out the champagne just yet. Site became unavailable again. blink.gif

This just in. The stocks for Tylenol just went up 40 points! laugh.gif
RHK Designs
my account got leveled up...Im using the budget one...6.95 or was it 9.99 I dont remember gotta check the billing...but its no longer 350 mb for me, its unlimited smile.gif but mysql is down for me, might think of going to reseller plan hmmm- since i do layouts for web sites
apsoda
QUOTE(BigJimW @ Jul 24 2003, 04:29 PM)
The stocks for Tylenol just went up 40 points

hehehe

that and zoloft
Xenobug
Neat. I gotta check to see if I got leveled up too. When I can get into my account that is. Heh.
Linear Helix
Aw, too bad for me. I have debilitating php problems, but I get no upgrade because I'm on another server. Aren't my problems worth it too, staffies?
apsoda
at this point an update on the status of the server would be preferable to talk about compensation...
BigJimW
QUOTE(RHK Designs @ Jul 24 2003, 10:32 PM)
my account got leveled up...Im using the budget one...6.95 or was it 9.99 I dont remember gotta check the billing...but its no longer 350 mb for me, its unlimited smile.gif but mysql is down for me, might think of going to reseller plan hmmm- since i do layouts for web sites

I see that in my CPanel too, but that may just be an artifact of the problem. I'm gonna wait to hear from Hostony officially to see what they're gonna do for us who were inconvienianced today. I don't think that they're gonna give us unlimited space, since it's obvious that on any webserver space is indeed limited.

Now, if they want to crank up my space an extra 100 meg and kick the gigs/mo up a few notches, like 12-15 a month, I'll be happy. rolleyes.gif

- Jim
apsoda
i can't even see my cPanel! i have nothing... what's happening someone please!
s
We should all question their need to do maintenanc in the middle of the day (US business day). We should also quetion what the chances were that a hard drive failure accoured durring maintenance.

My client's sites have now bee dead for over five hours. And for the past three days they have been up and down and up and down.

In addition, the MySQL server has been up an down, which has made my dynamic sites dead.

It should not take 5 hours to recover even from a total hardware failure; other isp's would have simply swaped machines.

Down time has effectively been total for the past three days.

I suggest we all keep the pressure on the company, let them know that things are not right, and that routine upgrades to any server or OS can, and often do, cause total failure; upgrades should never be done by a company in the middle of the business day (located in the US, this ISP is). In addition, no updates should ever be done unless the tech support staff is ready, willing and able to rapidly swap out total hardware and restore from a backup.

Down time of three days, and now solidly for five hours, is 100% failure to provide service.
Period.
John Daniels
QUOTE(jchrastina @ Jul 24 2003, 06:52 PM)
I need a webhost that doesn't keep me on daily and every other day "pins-and-needles".

I need to start looking elsewhere.

" I need a webhost that doesn't keep me on daily and every other day "pins-and-needles".

Good luck. blink.gif

"I need to start looking elsewhere."

http://www.site-etc.com would be a good place to start.
s
In case you are not aware, they have been having problems with other servers as well.

You should all be asking what the statistical chance of multiple problems happening on multiple servers...

I do not believe there was a hardware failure.

I believe that they are having technical difficulties of the inexperienced kind.

I suggest a heavy duty letter writing campaign.
BigJimW
QUOTE(John Daniels @ Jul 24 2003, 11:22 PM)
http://www.site-etc.com would be a good place to start.

60 MB space, 1 gig transfer/month, at $29 bucks/mo?

Those prices ######. ohmy.gif

Besides, theres something shifty about that smiling Japanese womans eyes in that graphic. laugh.gif

"Me luv you long time. Now spend money!" biggrin.gif
iluminada
I don't know about you folks... but I'm here because it's cheap. And as far as dirt-cheap web hosts go, these guys have been great. What do you expect for $6.95/month?! Get real.

Besides that, I've been doing this for quite a while and have never, ever encountered a host that doesn't go down once and a while. And this is nothing. It ######s, yes, but I've seen worse outages from bigger, more expensive, more reputable hosts.

I host all my really critical sites at Site-Etc. http://www.site-etc.com -- but hostony has my own site, and a few others on smaller budgets, and they've been pretty good, for the most part. Except for the last few days on this one server. But the other hostony servers I'm on have been fine.
apsoda
iluminada, not everyone only pays 6.95 ...

some of us are reselling these services to clients, who are extremely pissed off at *us* today!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here