Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: linux vs windows
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Guest_tony_*
I want to make Flash/html combo sites with some database features, using dreamweaver & Flash.

I thought for PHP/mysql pages you had to use a linux package and that ASP pages required a Windows package. I was going to go with PHP/mySQL because it seemed easier to learn and set up a database driven site.

1. Windows reseller packages say Flash MX 2004 features supported. What does this mean?

2. Windows shared package says Dreamweaver MX supported

I was going with a Linux package. I own both Flash MX 2004 and Dreamweaver MX 2004, in fact I have the new version 8 for both.

I was going to learn more PHP and use mySQL and PHPmyadmin, Dreamweaver, Flash, and XML with a Linux package. Now I am confused. Am I missing some sort of nice automated features/support with the Windows package and Macromedia products combination? ... and now I don't know wether to go with ASP or PHP but it looks like I can still use PHP anyway if I get a windows based reseller plan.

What are those MX features and what does someone recommend for me to learn faster?
MartinB
If don't need ASP, go with Linux!

i think here in the forum exist posts of people using DW and Linux, (the thing is DW has some configuration to upload the files directly to the host...right?)

I don't know what kind of Flash features can be on the server... i don't think that the servers have FLashServer and related....
Hey thanks for the reply!

Yeah, but if Windows supports ASP and PHP, why not get it? I can still do the same PHP scripts and set up mySQL databases, right? What's the difference on my end? I am used to cPanel though.

I went ahead with the linux account yesterday, I was told I could change it for free later, and needed to get things progressing and it's what I'm used too.

If anyone knows the specifics on those Macromedia features mentioned in the windows hosting packages, please explain. If you mouse over the info icon on the plan explanations, it just says some general stuff about Flash. Of course you can use it, everyone knows that. Why is it specificly mentioned as a feature as if there was some sort of development connection that can be made on windows only?
MartinB
QUOTE(Guest @ Oct 27 2005, 01:51 PM)
Why is it specificly mentioned as a feature as if there was some sort of development connection that can be made on windows only?

I think this is a comercial issue ... if you look you will see HTML, XML also listed in some part... of course a web server support HTML and XML wink.gif

The thing is a lot of people who have not high programming skills, just come to a hosting provide and ask them "Hi! i have a flash website, can i host it with you?"

smile.gif
Lehrer
but if Windows supports ASP and PHP, why not get it? I can still do the same PHP scripts and set up mySQL databases, right? What's the difference on my end? I am used to cPanel though

Cpanel is less buggy then HELM panel for windows servers. Sometimes things happen that noone can explain why they occur. Cpanel is much easier to deal with.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here