Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: As new as I am to Hostony, I've got some comments
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
thesteve
Doubtless, I am new to Hostony. The plans advertised are a much better value, as far as money goes, than most other hosts available. As I've found out, it is very likely that the money you saved by using Hostony will be spent, many times over, on consultants who will do what Hostony promises to do.

I spent a day and a half trying to get the support personnel to change my ASP.NET script permissions so they can write to two specific folders on my site. In the end, a second Hostony support technician changed my ASP.NET machine account's permissions so that it has read and write permissions to everything in my wwwroot folder. It is a compromise, and I am willing to ###### up the insecurity if it will allow my scripts to work properly.

Now my scripts won't even read from my Access database because the server stops them from doing so. I am not pleased with this outcome.

Regardless of how frustrated I become at the seeming ineptitude of Hostony tech support, I try to realize that in the end, they are people to, just like me. I've worked tech support jobs; I know the customers can be extremely aggravating and difficult to work with. It's sometimes hard to understand what the customer wants support to do, and sometimes it's because the customer doesn't know what they want!

At Hostony there is an extra problem because of the language barrier. I honestly don't know if the support personnel are trained to only answer one question per reply to a trouble ticket, or if it simply takes that much effort to translate the request into their language that they forget about the rest of the question. While I grow tired of asking the same question multiple times in the same trouble ticket, I do so without browbeating the technician because I know that, with enough tenacity, my question will be answered.

Folks, those technicians are people, and many of the posts in this forum horrendously berate the Hostony support personnel. I realize that you are frustrated and angry at the situation, but can't you phrase your intentions in a better way? If someone came up to me and talked to me the way some of you post about the tech support people, I'd thrash them. Being online doesn't give you the right to trash people - have you ever seriously thought about the fact that the support personnel have access to your personal information? Where you live, your credit card number?

Do you really want to anger someone with that kind of power?

I know my own opinion is not enough to change your mind about raging at the Hostony support technicians, but I hope that, in the future, you at least stop to realize that the person on the other end of that email is a human being who'd like to be treated with the same respect you'd like to be treated with.

Okay, let the flaming begin.
saturn
I agree that getting angry on the forums isn't productive. I am unbelievablely disatisfied with Hostony after being a customer for a little over a year. They didn't deliver, so I'm moving on. Sometimes it is necessary to communicate your frusterations so that customer support can understand where you are coming from, but the extent of what gets said on the forums is amazing.

If you don't like the service, switch hosts. If you want a refund, ask. If they don't give it to you, file a greivance with the Better Business Bureau. You'll live longer if you just settle down and don't act as though the world owes you something just because you ponied up your $9.95 a month so you could upload your blog for the world to see and discuss all the things that "piss you off."
Dark Hedgehog
Yeah, I agree with what was said.

I am not really wanting to switch hosts, but, I have noticed a ton of down-times i'm not happy with.
Though I cannot say anything, its more that I have to live with it.

My searching began a while ago but its hard to find honest places that do not lie.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here