Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: scgi-bin / mailbox question
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
elmirage
Currently I am exploring option to allow customers to login and create their own mailboxes, using scgi-bin or cgi-bin. Am I correct thinking I will need to use the SCGI because it allows users more rights to the server?

So a customer needs access to a page, with rights that will allow them to create a mailbox of their choice. Also they will need to have access to a script that will allow them to reset and manage their own passwords.

Another problem I have been facing is the Mail forwarding. Some customers will no doubt prefer having their mail forwarded else where. What I have noticed is mailboxes that have a forward on them continue to collect mail. Of course the mail forwarding works fine. The problem is with the mail forwarding. Customers don't want to worry about mail quota's. I have not found an option to have '0' messages collect on the server. Maybe a redirect option would be better?

Either way I need the following help:
Scripts of some sort that will allow users to create and manage their own mail accounts. I need the option of redirecting all mail, or not allowing mail to collect on the server for mail forwards. Any suggestions on which scripts work best on your system. and which ones I need to stay away from. Thank you in advance,
Serge
There is no such scripts that can work fine at the shared environment. It is possible to write such scripts though with perl Mime tools and catch all email pointed to the perl script. This also will eliminate forward problem.

But I recommend you to think twice whether you want free mail service, because people are often abusing mail services sending spam from them and creating a bunch of problems to the people running the service.
elmirage
Thank you I will explore "perl Mime tools" as an option to look into.
I will not be offering free e-mail. I will be charging for site membership,
with strict control measures in place.
Thank you for your concern, and looking out for my best interest
smile.gif

Thank you for your time,
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here