Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost bought it
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
NYPD
I almost bought the service that Hostony sell, but i thought i should check this Forum first, right?

I learned from experience before you buy any "PRODUCT" check the Support, if it is reliable, then the product probably would be reliable too.

Since every other thread here is Titled "Server Down", that kind of scared me off a little bit.

Than i saw the topic titled "Unprofessional", which really made me turn around and post this and never buy their services.

Don't get me wrong, Moinon "the starter of that thread" could be wrong for a lot of reasons, maybe he didn't read the agreements he signed? Maybe he was careless with his bandwidth management? Or maybe he just overslept smile.gif ?

But the way Lehrer answered that thread with unprofessional tone really did it for me.

Lehrer, there are some people like me that check this Forum out before they buy the service, Hard to believe, but it is true.
You just lost a potential Long-term customer just because you lack some PR skills.
You answered that thread with sarcasm when you said “If you are our customer for three years already, I believe you know how much additional bandwidth costs” You should’ve pointed his to the right direction and showed him where he went wrong and explain to him what he should do incase he faced this problem in the future, after all, you want him to stay as a future customer, Right?

Some people do make money out of these websites and sarcasm is not acceptable, Period.

Once again, Please note that I am not accusing or saying Hostony over charged him like he said. I am just saying that Lehrer could have dealt with this matter in a better way.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and please acknowledge that this is ONLY my own opinion.
Lehrer
Excuse me for my remark, but I believe the thing that the customer stated that we were charging him extra could eventually make future customers scared and they would probably turn back and decide to look for a different company.
The "money" problem is no doubt very essential for possible future customers, as they want to be sure that they entrust their money to a reliable company.
But thank you for your opinion anyways.
capecomp
biggrin.gif Support for me has always been very fast and very professional. Thanks Hostony.

www.CapeComputerMan.com
MartinB
QUOTE(capecomp @ Sep 10 2005, 11:14 PM)
biggrin.gif  Support for me has always been very fast and very professional. Thanks Hostony.

www.CapeComputerMan.com

same here, long life hostony!
Slavik
Thank you!
tongue.gif
bpgisme
Support for me has always been very fast and very professional. Thanks Hostony.
same here, long life hostony!

Hey! I'm late getting here, but ME TOO!!!! smile.gif There's no better host in the world than Hostony, and I've used lots of them. The problem with reading a forum before you buy is that you are mainly only reading what 2% - 5% of all the customers have to say, and usually you're only seeing the unsatisfied ones who aren't happy getting help through support. This is the only forum I've seen with the exception of CNet's music download service forum where there are happy customers putting in their own words in defense of the company. Keep that in mind as well, NYPD. wink.gif

-Bonnie
bpgisme.com
Slavik
Thank you.
MartinB
wow...surely we'll get some extra disk space and bandwidth now !! tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif
Lehrer
Yes, of course, Martin smile.gif
Lehrer
Hey! I'm late getting here, but ME TOO!!!! smile.gif There's no better host in the world than Hostony, and I've used lots of them. The problem with reading a forum before you buy is that you are mainly only reading what 2% - 5% of all the customers have to say, and usually you're only seeing the unsatisfied ones who aren't happy getting help through support. This is the only forum I've seen with the exception of CNet's music download service forum where there are happy customers putting in their own words in defense of the company. Keep that in mind as well, NYPD. wink.gif

-Bonnie
bpgisme.com

Thank you for your understanding, Bonnie.

and capecomp too smile.gif
macherb
I side squarely with NYPD on this one. I am doing some work for a client and have found Hostony to be THE WORST provider I have worked with with regard to tech support. For the most part tech support is non-existent. You have to really be prepared to get your hands dirty to resolve issues with Hostony. They just do not make it easy. I believe cultural barriers play a part here.

I am accustomed to receiving detailed responses to questions and follow up from a knowledgeable tech person. I can pick up the phone and speak to tech support 24/7 with other host providers. Yes Hostony has competive shared hosting plans (less SSL support), but unless one is prepared to do their own tech support, I would not recommend them at all. PERIOD!
micah
QUOTE(bpgisme @ Sep 11 2005, 08:42 AM)
Hey!  I'm late getting here, but ME TOO!!!!  smile.gif  There's no better host in the world than Hostony, and I've used lots of them.  The problem with reading a forum before you buy is that you are mainly only reading what 2% - 5% of all the customers have to say, and usually you're only seeing the unsatisfied ones who aren't happy getting help through support.  This is the only forum I've seen with the exception of CNet's music download service forum where there are happy customers putting in their own words in defense of the company.  Keep that in mind as well, NYPD.  wink.gif

-Bonnie
bpgisme.com

I'd love to know what servers you guys are on. The last two servers i've been on (server33 and 35) are not able to keep mysql up for more than 24hours. Perhaps you have pleased with the support because you have had no recurring issues?

If I could just get moved to a server where mysql is stable, I'd be happy!
iroc42
thats odd. if your server is running fine.. why would you come and stop by the support forums just to throw in a few words? i must be thinking too much...

but its easy for anyone who has a basic site to overlook such issues. if your site is barebone html and ftp.. you wont notice any issues. complains for me and many other members are with the database aspect of service. websites that are built off databases rely on them, and as soon as the database goes out, even if the site is still online, the site will not function as planned.

i would understand if the database went down once every few weeks.. okay.. computers malfunction, no big deal.

but for it to happen daily, multiple times, during peek hours, is inexcusable. especially when you pull over 1000 hits a day, it is unprofessional to have error messages come up constantly, and its frusterating because its not on my part, but it appears to be.

and for customer service to say "its fixed", then for it to go down 10 minutes later... is NOT A FIX, but merely a response to a result..

either fix it or forget it... i have already begun searching for another server, i will PM all those who are having issues my results on my search.
bpgisme
thats odd. if your server is running fine.. why would you come and stop by the support forums just to throw in a few words? i must be thinking too much...

Not odd at all. I'm an at-home mom who is literally working on a computer all day long. I only go to three forums and this is one of them. When I have a few minutes I stop by to the read all the complaints. If there's something I can help with, I try to. If I can't really help or have nothing of value to add to the discussion, I leave.

I really like Hostony. I've been running my website now for nearly ten years, and I've used a lot of different hosts. Hostony is the best I've ever used.

And my site isn't "barebone html and ftp."... It's nearly 2gb of mp3s, movies, and literally thousands of images. I use MySQL databases too, but I use them in a very limited amount. My site may be a "homepage", but it isn't a little list of "my favorite (insert something here)". I know it's not a big company site or a big business site, but I used site services before who couldn't handle the mp3 downloads I get (between 800-1500 per month) and I would never have even attempted the video downloads at those other places.

-Bonnie
Yevgeny
Hostony is the best hosting company arond for your $$$

I didn't have any issues with them for almost 2 yyears until resently win server went down. but i still recomend it to veryone around.

P.S. It would be nice to have a phone support. I don't mind calling to Ukraine for support.
Yevgeny
Also it wolud be nice if they can add co-location to their plans.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here