Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Domain registration
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
David
Does signing up for the profi plan include the cost of registering a domain name? In my case, I'd be transfering the domain name from geocities. I don't have access to their name servers, let alone a control panel. (Which is partly why I'm moving.)

For me, would the process be this:

1. Sign up for profi, specify my existing domain name.
2. (Need to do this?) Register above domain name through hostony at $14.85
3. Cancel GeoCities and hope they remove the entry from their name servers.

The current domain registration doesn't expire for a few months, but that shouldn't come into play, should it?
Danimal
If you already have the domain name registered, you wouldn't need to re-register it (in fact you wouldn't be able to). All that you'd need to do is change the nameserver information with your registrar. This involves nothing more than emailing them (if they don't have a control panel to do it yourself) and letting them know where your new nameservers are. Right now they're probably something like ns1.geocities.com and you'd just need to have that changed to ns1.hostony.com or whatever the exact URL of your nameservers would be.

If they are uncooperative, you can always wait until the domain expires and then re-register it yourself, using the correct nameserver info.
Follow-up: Hostony is off to a good start. I signed up Monday night in California, and later that night my account was ready to go. Better than I expected, and better than promised.

GeoCities punishes you for moving away if you let them register your domain name for you. To quote GeoCities tech support, "Before you can transfer to a new host, you will need to cancel your premium membership with Yahoo! GeoCities." Further, after cancelling membership where they disable web access, THEN you can ask them for your password to their Registrar, Melbourne IT. Then you can update the name servers and wait until it propagates. But during this wait, I cannot redirect from the old site to the new site by IP address. (Since GeoCities forcibly disables the old site (displaying an error message) before releasing my Registrar password.)

Warning for anybody else moving in from GeoCities: Sweet talk them to giving you your registrar's password a few days before closing your account. Otherwise your site will be dead for a couple of days.
daliblume
Whoops. "David" and "Guest" are both me in this thread. I've registered an id now for easier tracking.
Serge
Another option could be just movinf your domain to other registrar before the site move. Once you transfered your domain name to other registrar you can easily change your asociated nameservers and make it point to other hosting company.

We can make transfers to the enom.com at about 50% off their normal prices and of couse we give password to the customers once we register or transfer domains fr them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here