Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Site Hacked
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Moogy
I had my nuke site at www.skribbulz.com hacked within the last day. I am running an older version of nuke (I plan on updating asap as the site has been hacked 2 other times but I was able to recover without issue)

Question:

Does Hostony back up the directories and SQL databases on a regular basis? I have an older back up that I did from the control panel but it looks like the SQL I "exported" to my home machine (thinking I was backing up the db...me=SQL n00b) does not appear to be useable atleast in the form I backed it up. wondering if you do regular backups of the directory and db's if it is possible to get a restore from within the last couple days. if so do I just open a ticket for this?

side question:

when updating a nuke to a more secure newer version (to minimize this from happening in the future) is there a easy way to do it? do I just replace the existing files with the newer ones/change the config.php to match the db locations, etc? or is it much more complicated. The concern is I would like to update the current nuke version but don't want to lose my existing stuff as I and other people have put a lot of time into thing.

thanks!
Moogy
was able to repair most of the damage by going into MySql and correcting changes there. lost a few stories but not a large issue as it looks like most of the site is in tact.

I would still like to know though what is the best route to go about backing things up? I go in the backup section of cpanel but it looks like that module is turned off.

Does hostony back up the actual directories? if so how often does that occur? if not what is the best route to do it as I believe I used the backup section in cpanel previously.

also as far as the MySql what is the best route for backing that up? I went into Mysql and then export then save as file with the main db highlighted and that gave me a locahost.sql file is that all I need?

thanks for any help
Lehrer
I went into Mysql and then export then save as file with the main db highlighted and that gave me a locahost.sql file is that all I need?

Yes, that is the right way to back the DBs up. As you are using nuke I just wanted to give you a small piece of advice: give it up. smile.gif Better turn to Mambo, it hasn't got so many security holes.
As far as our backups are concerned, they are ran weekly, on weeekends usually.
But it happens sometimes that a certain backup is missing, so better make your own backups too.
Moogy
QUOTE(Lehrer @ Sep 7 2005, 09:09 PM)
Yes, that is the right way to back the DBs up. As you are using nuke I just wanted to give you a small piece of advice: give it up. smile.gif Better turn to Mambo, it hasn't got so many security holes.
As far as our backups are concerned, they are ran weekly, on weeekends usually.
But it happens sometimes that a certain backup is missing, so better make your own backups too.

yeah I don't like the security issues with nuke, so far I have been lucky and I have been able to undo the damage.

what is the best route to do backups? I believe I first did it in the control panel itself but now when I go in there it doesn't seem to work the same this one says it will send me a e-mail when it's in the directory.
Slavik
The best way is to copy all your data to your PC via FTP.
Moogy
QUOTE(Moogy @ Sep 12 2005, 04:41 PM)
yeah I don't like the security issues with nuke, so far I have been lucky and I have been able to undo the damage.

what is the best route to do backups? I believe I first did it in the control panel itself but now when I go in there it doesn't seem to work the same this one says it will send me a e-mail when it's in the directory.

sounds good I have done that in the past but it always seems to choke half way thru. I tried the backup thru cpanel and it sent me a message that it put it in my home directory but couldn't see it anywhere or is that only visable on your side?

side note, trying Mambo and that is really cool and looks much easier to get things set up!

thanks for the responses
Lehrer
side note, trying Mambo and that is really cool and looks much easier to get things set up!

thanks for the responses

You are welcome. The matter is that to upload your files via FTP you are to have a rather stable connection. Besides, network problems can occur. The best way is to upload the files one by one, not all the files at once.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here