Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mailing list question
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
guest user
I have a mailing list of 58,000 subscribers that I email once a week. Subscribers joined through my website. I had the mailing list hosted by a third party mailing list host company, but now I am interested in administering my list myself. Unfortunately my current (cheapo) web host limits the number of emails that can be sent out.

My site its self generally uses about 6 G of transfer a month. I'd like to install and run Mojo Mail for my list if it's possible. (I still am not sure if it would handle a list that large).

Is it possible to do this here? What kind of hosting package would you recommend for me -- can I get by with a basic package, or do I need a reseller or dedicated one??

Thanks.
Serge
Sorry but such big lists can be hosted only on dedicated server because managing such a big list affects server performance.
iluminada
What is the limit you will allow for a mailing list? I have one with 7,000 subscribers who have all opted-in via the list owner's website.
Serge
It depends on the message size and frequency of mailing. We have a customer that creates no problems with 20000+ subscibers, but we had those who overloaded server with just 2500 subscribers.
I just can give couple recomendations.
- in order to keep mail server healthy you should not have "dead" emails on the list, because then server will have to process too much bounces.
- message size should not exceed 20 kb in order they could be sent out fast.
- if you don't use mailman you should not sent out all messages at once. It is wise to send them out in short blocks of couple hundreds.
iluminada
Thanks Serge.
I'll just use a dedicated email broadcasting service and save us both the headaches.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here