Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: domain name
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
doug
hi,

i want to use your services as host. i have my own domain, www.josiebug.ca

when i sign up, do i hit the transfer to your domain? or the DNS? or register a new domain? i'm new at this and confused, i assume it's not a new domain because i have one already. but when i click on transfer, all that comes up about my password/ftp/etc... i don't have any of that information because all i have now ( i think) are the rights to that domain name....true?

please help!

thanks,

doug
MartinB
The ftp things is when you have your site hosted in other provider, and want to tell to hostony "please transfer my files to my new hostony account".

Also, as i know, hostony can provide you with a .com domain for free.

And if you want to use your current domain name, and don't want the free .com domain (?) just choose "Update the dns yourself", buy the hosting account, and then ask hostony for the dns for your account (they will send all the info in the welcome email), and change the dns entrys for your domain in the control panel of your domain registrar with the 2 dns servers of hostony.

hope this help.
Slavik
Hello,
1. You can order the transfer of your domain to our company.
2. You can change the name servers at your current domain registrar and your domain will be working without transfer.
3. You can have 1 anydomain or 3domain.INFO registered for free when you sign up for our hosting.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
Hi,

How do I order the transfer to your company? or how do I change the name servers at my current domain registrar?
and change the dns entrys for your domain in the control panel of your domain registrar
where is my control panel? i registered at www.cadns.ca
Lehrer
QUOTE(Guest @ Aug 12 2005, 06:03 AM)
where is my control panel? i registered at www.cadns.ca

If you registered there, you should have a password for that site to manage your nameservers, etc. make an inquiry at www.cadns.ca, they'll explain everything to you.
ok, so i asked cadns.ca and they said you would provide me with a list of at least two nameserver names that i can use to connect to my domain reigstration to your system. true? i need to sign up for your service first?
Slavik
Yes you should sign up for our service at first.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
what's the difference between linux and windows? is it just if i'm running windows i choose the windows package?
Lehrer
No, that doesn't depend on the software you run at home or at work. You can run windows at home, while you can peacefully own a Linux account with our company, which I by the way recommend you to choose. smile.gif
OK, so back to my original question.

i want to transfer my domain to your company. they said no problem, give us the info from you. when i sign up here, i click on transfer my domain to you for free and it asks for my ftp/user/pass. i don't have that yet cause i'm not signed up. it seems a vicious circle. what am i missing?
Lehrer
Dear customer, the system asks for your FTP settings for your previous hosting company, so that we could transfer the data to your new account. The scheme is as follows: Your current(former) ftp account -->Your new hostony account.
i don't have a previous hosting company. this is my point. all i have is the domain name. what do i do?
MartinB
Ok, so put nothing at ftp account.

1) You have your domain name, and want to use this domain name:

Use "Update the DNS yourself". (and when hostony give you your dns, contact your domain name registrar for the nameservers change.)

2) You want use the free .com/.net/.org domain from hostony ?
Use "Register a new domain for free", and hostony will give you a free domain name.

Hope this help to clariffy the issue a little.
Iceshifter
It's very simple, do not worry. It's something that can be taken care of at any point. You will be given host space from HOSTONY.com, and since you DO NOT have any prior space, all you have is your registered domain name.

That domain name is "locked" down, as if it seriously had ropes holding it to the www.cadns.ca servers. However, you can unlock it from the name servers by putting in an inquiry. They will "release" the domain name from their servers and point it out to HOSTONYs servers. Then hostony will be able to LOCK down the name server.
Lehrer
Iceshifter, absolutely correct. Thank you for getting into this smile.gif
ok,

i'm signing up and saying i'll do the dns myself. sorry for sounding retarded, i just want to make sure i get this right.

ok....signing up and it says i need a phone number for you to call and confirm. I will be moving back home to Canada in two months, i'm getting this set up now so it's all done when i get home. I am currently in S. Korea. Should I give my number here and then just update my profile when i get home??
Lehrer
The best variant is to leave your mobile number for us to reach you as soon as possible.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here