Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Secure IMAP email
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
zoliat
Hi everyone

I'm a novice to secure IMAP email, so I apologise if this is a dumb question ...

I keep getting the security error "The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value" when trying to connect to the IMAP server using a SSL connection. If I accept the security error, I am able to access the email fine.

I have set up an SSL certificate for "mydomain.com" using the SSL Manager in cPanel, copied this certificate to my computer (as a .crt) and installed it into the Trusted CA store. Outlook has been set up with the IMAP server equal to "mydomain.com" (i.e. exactly the same as the CN name in the certificate).

I'm puzzled then why the CN name does not match the server name ...

... I'm sure I'm doing something dumb, but can someone out there let me know what it is!

Much appreciated

Regards
Zoliat
blackburnrovers
you are probably using a shared hosting plan. the server you are on actually has a name that is something like server22.bigfasthost.com. when your e-mail program notices that this is different than the name on the certificate, you get the error which you described below. some e-mail programs let you hide this error so you don't have to keep clicking ok.

aside from that, i am out of ideas.
Lehrer
Dear customer, I hope this link will be useful for you:

http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/edtft...ent/readme.html
zoliat
Hi there

Thanks for the replies but I must admit that I am confused with my possible options. Outlook 2003 does not allow the CN check to be surpressed.

Is there a way to add the "correct" CN value to the server certificate so that the problem is resolved or alternatively another work-around?

Thank in advance
Zoliat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here