Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Web Folder
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
MartinB
Hello:

A customer want to access to a folder in their account simply clicking in a link like ftp://ftp.domain.com/ using IE in a Windows XP.

This is the example they have provide me:

ftp://ftp4kromia.com.ar/

Can they set something like this in their linux hosting account with Hostony ?

He want enter with an url like this in their account and upload/download files.

I have never use ftp in this way, but surely this is an easy issue for you wink.gif

Thanks in advance smile.gif
ojenni
QUOTE(mblendinger @ Jun 22 2005, 09:12 PM)
A customer want to access to a folder in their account simply clicking in a link like ftp://ftp.domain.com/ using IE in a Windows XP.

This is the example they have provide me:

ftp://ftp4kromia.com.ar/

Hi,

what about ftp://username:password@ftp4kromia.com.ar

Should work.

Regards,
Oliver
MartinB
So, you say than the only task to do is create an ftp account for a directory and then just access to ftp://domain.com/user_directory/ ?

(I prefer the login box, not to put the user/pass in the url)

I can't test from here but i will test it from home tonight.

thanks a lot smile.gifsmile.gif
MartinB
Well:

This work: ftp://username:password@domain.com.ar

The problem is:

ftp://username:password@domain.com.ar works well when you use your main account username, but when you create a ftp user with access to a specific directory, the username will be "username@domain.com.ar", instead of just "username" , so when you put the url in IE like:

ftp://username@domain.com.ar:password@domain.com.ar/

it give an URL error (two "@").

but if I put ftp://bad_username:some_password@domain.com.ar, then a wrong login popup is opened and then i have the oportunity to enter the complete correct username and password.

I can't give this solution to my users, so, i want just some like:

1) ftp://subdomain.domain.com.ar/ and accessing this url i get in with the IE ftp client.

2) If this is not possible without a username and password, i can accept to use some url like ftp://subdomain.domain.com.ar/ and when i access this url, it open a popup asking me for a username and password.

Somebody here have an idea for this implementation ?

What is the recommendation of the Support Staff ?

We need something like this example: ftp://ftp4kromia.com.ar/

Thanks very much in advance to everybody for your help!!! smile.gif
Niels
But the ftp://username:password@domain.com.ar methode doesnt allows someone to upload a file does it?

I cannot login @ ftp://ftp4kromia.com.ar/ so i cant see what you want,
but if your client is "afraid" of using a ftp client mabye a file manage script would be ok for him/her.
That would still require to enter user and pass but you wont need a ftp client.

Just my 0.2$ smile.gif

Cheers,
Niels
MartinB
QUOTE(Niels @ Jun 23 2005, 07:48 PM)
But the  ftp://username:password@domain.com.ar methode doesnt allows someone to upload a file does it?

When i open it with IE, a login popup appears.
yes it let you upload content.

I cannot login @ ftp://ftp4kromia.com.ar/ so i cant see what you want,
but if your client is "afraid" of using a ftp client mabye a file manage script would be ok for him/her.
That would still require to enter user and pass but you wont need a ftp client.

yes, this is the first i have made, a php filemanager, but they want use the ftp IE feature like other competitors rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Just my 0.2$  smile.gif
Cheers,
Niels

Thank you very much smile.gif
Niels
Hehe ok, it has been ages since i used IE so i gues i missed something biggrin.gif

Good lucky!
MartinB
Thanks!
I hate IE, but the customers always have the true cool.gif
MartinB
Support ?
somnath
Ok, I guess the following will solve it.

Rule is to use: ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com

However, if user is not root user of domain then as rightly pointed out earlier it will cause problems with the @.

The way out is to disable anonymous FTP access from cPanel for the domain. Then just use ftp://ftp.domain.com and IE will nicely popup a login prompt where you can enter your credentials and just login. You then can use the IE browser just like WIndows Explorer and additionally by clicking on View | Explorer Bar | Folder open up the standard left panel for browsing files and for copying and pasting.

However, I feel it is a bit slower than standard FTP software but I have found that my clients too like this. I believe this is why MS is popular and sells most. They somehow know what paying people like! Is Bill a mind reader?
Niels
Bill only wants you money, trust me tongue.gif
MartinB
QUOTE(somnath @ Jun 25 2005, 11:57 AM)
Ok, I guess the following will solve it.

Rule is to use: ftp://user:pass@ftp.domain.com

However, if user is not root user of domain then as rightly pointed out earlier it will cause problems with the @.

The way out is to disable anonymous FTP access from cPanel for the domain. Then just use ftp://ftp.domain.com and IE will nicely popup a login prompt where you can enter your credentials and just login. You then can use the IE browser just like WIndows Explorer and additionally by clicking on View | Explorer Bar | Folder open up the standard left panel for browsing files and for copying and pasting.

However, I feel it is a bit slower than standard FTP software but I have found that my clients too like this. I believe this is why MS is popular and sells most. They somehow know what paying people like! Is Bill a mind reader?

Anonymous FTP is disabled trought cpanel, but ftp://ftp.gape.com.ar/ don't work like you say. I thing some other in the same server have Anonymous FTP enabled. I don't want to get a dedicated ip.
somnath
Hey,

I forgot to mention another thing... if your server replied back like it is doing now I see, then the popup wont come but a message window will popup. Just click Ok there. Then click File | Login As and enter your credentials.

HTH

Somnath
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here