Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hosting/web site building
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
creagh
Hi, I have a domain registered with godaddy.com. They said I need to set up a different email account (eg not hotmail as I have this). Do I get this email address for my website (which I don't have either) from my host?

They said could spam or go through to my junk email if I don't get new email acct.

PS do u guys have some sort of website builder, and if so can I combine with a hosting package? (is it downloadable or has to be sent too)

Sorry for all the q's but looking to get this set up right!!

Thanks,

Creagh
Niels
Hi creagh,
About the email issue, hotmail has some wierd spam filters wich can "block" emails from godaddy to you, on the other hand you cannot setup an info@your-domain.com becouse they wont allow you to set that up with you using a hotmail account.

If you want i can give you an invite to gmail (google's email service).
Just pm me with your email address and i will send you an invite.

Hope that helps, good luck.
Cheers
Niels
Lehrer

PS do u guys have some sort of website builder, and if so can I combine with a hosting package? (is it downloadable or has to be sent too)

Sure we do. You can try MAMBO, which can be found among other Fantastico scripts in your control panel.
Creagh
Could somebody (admin or otherwise please explain a little more about mambo fantastico scripts? what is this exactly? Is it something like a site builder program?

I like all the features of your hosting, but may be tempted to go elsewhere if I can't build a quality website through you guys.

PS how many pages can I make the website- is there a limit? Are there pre mzde tamplates?

Thanks,

Creagh
Slavik
Mambo is a free site builder with several page templates.
You'l find a lot of useful info here:
1. Home of Mambo http://mamboserver.com/
2. http://www.miro.com.au/
3. The language that Mambo is developed in http://www.php.net/
4. http://mamboforge.net/
5 The database that Mambo uses http://www.mysql.com/

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
creagh
Does this mean I have to understand the various languages of these programs- or can I follow easy instructions to have my site up on the web in no time.

Whats the max pages I'm allowed to have on my site?

Creagh
MartinB
QUOTE(creagh @ Jun 10 2005, 07:57 AM)
Whats the max pages I'm allowed to have on my site?

Creagh

It's not a quantity issue, is related to the weight in Mb of your webpages/images.
You can get a lot of web pages smile.gif

If you have a page of 100Kb

In 1 MegaByte = ~10 pages
In 1 Gigabyte = ~10.000 pages

...Hostony plans give you webspace from 5 GB
... let some space for emails, logs, stats, databases, something like... 1Gb ? yeah... you can have ~40.000 webpages with a total weight of 100Kb each.
MartinB
(and no, you don't need to be an expert for run a CMS system, there are intended for not technical people.)

maybe you will need just a "little" assistance at the beginning, or just read a little of the docs
Slavik
I've written several links where you can find very useful docs.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
Creagh Bell
Thanks for your help, admin has been very prompt in replying to my queries.
My q is I got some links from admin on mambo web builder etc, which runs with php, sql etc. I don't really understand this all and want to know if I have to learn some language through all of this, or if it will be fairly simple to get my web site up and running.

Thanks,

Creagh
ojenni
QUOTE(Creagh Bell @ Jun 12 2005, 04:27 AM)
Thanks for your help, admin has been very prompt in replying to my queries.
My q is I got some links from admin on mambo web builder etc, which runs with php, sql etc. I don't really understand this all and want to know if I have to learn some language through all of this, or if it will be fairly simple to get my web site up and running.

Hello, they will provide some automated installation scripts that you can use (see in the fantastico section). Afterwards, you can use the installed instance of mambo and configure your website without having indepth knowledge in programming.

Regards,
Oliver
Slavik
Dear Creagh Bell,
you'll get the ready site with mambo(there are 3 templates in it). It can be easily installed via your account's cpanel. You'll get the administrative panel for mambo and you'll be able to upload text, images, ect. via it(for the ready site). Your mambo site will contain ready files and images and you'll just substitute them for your own. It not complicated to use mambo administrative panel and the provided links will aslo help you examine it.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here