Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: document root issues & the SetEnv directive
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
braddieus
I'm new here to Hostony, and I'm just trying to get things setup under your infrastructure.

I have two special directories which contain all of my PHP classes and scripts, CommonLibs and UltraStats. I need their directory heirarchy to stay intact in order for my web app to work properly. I've placed both dirs outside of my server's document root, since I don't want to expose ALL of the code, just certain dirs within it.

Issue #1:
--
I created a symbolic link under one of my subdomains in home directory (/home/beaconte), named "www", which points back to the "www" dir within my UltraStats dir, like so:

/home/beaconte/mystats/www --> /home/beaconte/UltraStats/www

But whenever I try to access anything under that URL, I get the following in my error log:

[2005-06-02 21:03:09]: error: command not in docroot (/home/beaconte/UltraStats/www/index.php)

Appears as though suexec or something else is set to only consider php scripts under /home/beaconte/www or /home/beaconte/UltraStats/www. If that is indeed the case, I'm not going to be able to use hostony as my web hosting service.

Issue #2:
--
In order for everything under my two main directories to be referenced properly, I rely on two environment variables to be set. I can usually do this with the SetEnv directive in a .htaccess file, such as in:

SetEnv BASEDIR /home/beaconte/CommonLibs
SetEnv US_BASEDIR /home/beaconte/UltraStats

... but that doesn't appear to be working. If that's not possible, then that's another show-stopper for me.

I greatly appreciate any help you can give me. Thank you in advance.
braddieus
You know what? Never mind. Just received a response from support, and it's clear they either don't understand my issue and requirements, or that they just don't care. The individual who responded not only didn't understand my concerns with issue #1, but didn't even attempt to address issue #2.

I might have let this go and figured some hack to get around it, but judging from other posts I've read, I've got a bad feeling about this place. I initially signed up because of their support for InnoDB tables in MySQL and/or PostgreSQL. However, now I'm cancelling because of lack of support and flexibility. What's that tell you? That, for this webmaster at least, technical limitations are NOT as important as bad support. And by the sounds of it, I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one.

Hostony and support staff, I'm posting this here in the hopes that you will be able to take some action on this and improve the knowledge, thoroughness, and competency of your support staff.
Lehrer
braddieus, the possible decision would be that we transfer your current account to the server where we have phpsuexec.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here