Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: virus' flooding inboxes
Hostony Board > General Support > Mail
angelos
Hi,
I actually manage an account for a client at http://aventana.com

They are getting insane amounts of fake "administrator" emails with virii attached and are freaking out.

I know it's someone else machine that's doing the sending, but I am wondering if people have any suggestions for getting rid of at least some of them via the mail controls on the hosting plan?

Some originate from fake "@aventana.com" address and some don't.

I'm a bit stuck - any thoughts?

Thanks,
Angelos
Niels
Hi Angelos,

My best gues is to setup a SPF (Sender Policy Framework) record for that domain.

Description from dnsreport.com:

Your domain does not have an SPF record. This means that spammers can easily send out E-mail that looks like it came from your domain, which can make your domain look bad (if the recipient thinks you really sent it), and can cost you money (when people complain to you, rather than the spammer). You may want to add an SPF record ASAP, as 01 Oct 2004 was the target date for domains to have SPF records in place (Hotmail, for example, started checking SPF records on 01 Oct 2004).

Right now its not setup: dnsreport.com
(scoll down it's the last warning)

More information on this site.

I have not yet done this for our server but i was planning to do so this week.

I hope this helps you a bit

Cheers,
Niels
angelos
Hey Thanks,
I will look into that for my domains.
I am also fiddling with the filters a bit.
SpamAssasin is decent but not a full solution.
Thx,
Angelos
somnath
Hey that was a good lead. I have enabled SPF also for my domains. I saw gmail validating this SPF. That is fine but this didnt stop me from getting those worms in my emails spoofing my domain as source. I believe that is because our mail servers do not use SPF for validation. I hope it is possible to enable SPF in our mail servers and that the support staff will do the same and save us a lot of trouble.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here