Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PHP SU_EXEC
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Slavik
Dear Customers,

we are planning to recompile php with su_exec on our servers during this month.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
bpgisme
I have no idea what that is, but, okay. smile.gif

-Bonnie
Niels
I believe this is a security wrapper for shared cgi.

The suEXEC feature -- introduced in Apache 1.2 -- provides Apache users the ability to run CGI and SSI programs under user IDs different from the user ID of the calling web-server. Normally, when a CGI or SSI program executes, it runs as the same user who is running the web server.

Used properly, this feature can reduce considerably the security risks involved with allowing users to develop and run private CGI or SSI programs

Are you planning to recompile php on vps also?

-
niels

[edit]added description from apache[/edit]
Dark Hedgehog
I had an error here: http://www.sonicdash.net/home/index.php

Any-ways on fixing this?
I am lost and haven't been into coding for months..
Beyonda
would this cause file permissions to go wacky? I sent a ticket in about this - but the index.php of one of my addons keeps changing it's CHMOD settings, causing the page to be unreadable in browsers.

It keeps goign back to 666, and hostony tells me that his is impossible. Funny - as I havew to chnage it back many times a day.
pAtrick
This is causing problems I think.
Using suexec, one cannot specify special php settings by using php_value or php_flag or something like that. You will have to use a seperate php.ini in your home directory. This is fine for me but for users who don't understand this, no good at all. Also we will lose the ability to set seperate settings for different dirctories.

On the other hand, because of this, php will run under CGI mode rather than an apache module. What about the performance?
MartinB
QUOTE(pAtrick @ Jun 6 2005, 06:34 AM)
This is causing problems I think.
Using suexec, one cannot specify special php settings by using php_value or php_flag or something like that. You will have to use a seperate php.ini in your home directory. This is fine for me but for users who don't understand this, no good at all. Also we will lose the ability to set seperate settings for different dirctories.

On the other hand, because of this, php will run under CGI mode rather than an apache module. What about the performance?

so, now all my .htaccess for php values are unusable ? ohmy.gif
bpgisme
Have you done this PHP update thing on Server 23 yet?

And, er... should I be worried? I've got seven Nucleus weblogs on there and a PHP based guestbook and a little bit of PHP code on my splash page (image rotator).

-Bonnie
pAtrick
QUOTE(mblendinger @ Jun 7 2005, 12:11 AM)
so, now all my .htaccess for php values are unusable ?  ohmy.gif

Yes. Not only unusable, but you will also get 500 errors. I submitted a ticket saying that my gallery installation is not working because gallery have a .htaccess file changing some settings. And they just simply renamed(thus disabled) .htaccess file. How stupid is that?

It is OK for users like me to deal with those myself, but how about others? I think the support will be flooded. And DISABLEING .HTACCESS IS NOT A SOLUTION.

Anyway, I found a brief article about phpsuexec on google from another hosting provider:
http://www.digitalpulsehosting.com/support...view/article/9/

This could be helpful.
MartinB
ok, i think is time to send a massive email to all my customers for the .htaccess issue.
(also, Today is the "My site is not working" day, for me. (and for support i think, hehe))
Beyonda
yeah - this has been quite a few days. Funny how they dont seem to think that what they have been working on has effected so many of us.

Are they even checking this board??? mad.gif
pAtrick
Actually running a fairly simple perl script might help. I am a PHP guy so I can't write one. But here is the idea:

1. Look into every single directory to see if .htaccess exists.
2. Parse .htaccess to see if php_value and/or php_flag is used and not already commented out.
3. If so record these entries.
4. Comment them out.
5. Create a php.ini file in the same directory with recorded settings.
6. chmod the php.ini file to the user's UID/GID (IDs can be fetched from .htaccess file).

The best way would be running it in /home as root.
dingfelder
I think this is urgently needed
pAtrick
Hey dingfelder, greetings from Wellington.
MartinB
EDITED:

I have get a personalized technical support assistance of exelence today, all is working pretty well now.
thank you very much to Ostap and Alex.

biggrin.gif
Alexandre
Hi Martin,
Thank you wink.gif

You are welcome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here