Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to Customize phpBB
Hostony Board > Cpanel/WebHost Manager support > Cpanel/WHM Issues
Mikr0n
Is there any documentation that Hostony has that will tell me step by step how to customize the Bulletin Board that is included with my Linux account? When it comes to anything of this sort I am a complete Newbie.

Thanks,
Marcus Draper
MartinB
http://www.phpbb.com/
you have a lot of info there.
greetings
Mikr0n
Thanks for the info. I will check it out and hopefully be able to understand what I am doing.

biggrin.gif
MartinB
You're welcome smile.gif
Mikr0n
My big thing is trying to figure out where the file is that acts as the index page. I have tried to edit the index.php and other .php files and it is just code and nothing that I can edit in an html editor. Is there something that I am missing?
MartinB
give a look at your "templates" directory, inside must be a "subsilver" style (if you have not installed another custom template).

Inside the subSilver directory are all the files of the template, if you want the index, look for something like "overall_body.tmpl" or something like that (sorry I don't remember it in details, I'll tell you paths in more detail tomorrow from my work.)

There you have all the template visual componentes(HTML, styles, images, blah blah)

going to sleep, have a good night smile.gif
Mikr0n
Thanks a bunch. That was what I needed to know. biggrin.gif
Mikr0n
Another thing. I am installing phpbb from a fresh download from their web site. What is the Database Type that is on a Linux server for Hostony?
Lehrer
The database type for Linux servers is called MYsql.
Mikr0n
When asked for a Database Type here are my options:

MY Sql 3.x
My Sql 4.x
PostgreSQL 7.x
MySQL Server 7/2000
MS Access [ODBC]
MS SQL Server [ODBC]

Whenever I try any of these none of them work for the install.
MartinB
you can use My Sql 3.x or My Sql 4.x

try with My Sql 4.x, because i think you have Mysql 4.0.22-standard in your server.
MartinB
Don't forget to create the database and the user from your cpanel -> Mysql Databases

In the install script of phpbb, you will be asked about these values, like:

host: localhost
db: Mikr0n_phpbb
user: Mikr0n_phpbb
pass: 1234

(remember than the database name and database user have your main account username as prefix)
Mikr0n
I am probably just not smart enough. I keep getting this error message. Do I need to install a SQL Server? I had thought that it was already setup.

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'marcus_phpbb'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in /home/deskatur/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/deskatur/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/deskatur/public_html/forum/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database
MartinB
QUOTE(Mikr0n @ May 24 2005, 02:23 PM)
I am probably just not smart enough. I keep getting this error message. Do I need to install a SQL Server?

nahhh, use mysql.

Remember, in the Mysql Databases section of your cpanel, to give permissions to the user for the database.

1) You create a database
2) You create a user
3) You assign the user to the database created in the step 1. ("Add user to db", or something like this.)
darkbeholder
For the database username, if u didnt create a user when u made the database then just use ur normal username and it should work
MartinB
of course, but i don't recommend this for security paranoia wink.gif
Mikr0n
Thank you guys so much for all the help. I believe that I have everything now setup the way that I like it.

Marcus
MartinB
Congrats wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here