Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DDOS
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Slavik
Dear customer,
server 207.44.244.81 is under DDOS attack, some of the sites are not avaliable now.
We doing our best in order to resolve the problem.
Everything will be working soon

Best regards,
Hostony Team
cityguru
Arent there software and hardware which is supposed to prevent these types of attacks, i know this was a big issue a couple of years ago but dont servers today have measures to prevent this????
MartinB
DDOS it's not an easy thing to fight.
I think that the DDOS protection is a datacenter issue, not a "server" issue

Am i wrong?
cityguru
I dont know but its server specific, so i think its a server specific issue, since they mentioned its being attacked on only this one server. Thats why there other servers are still up, if there entire datacenter was compromised there would be more screaming heads, but in any case this ###### (situation, but starting to also apply to the service and way these issues get handled)
cityguru
My main concern is whats going to be done for those who lot of business today and what steps are being taken to make sure this doesnt happen again. Most servers have implementations to prevents attacks like this.
Dima
DDOS attack is not so hard now. So the situation on the server is getting better smile.gif
Serge
cityguru

We do have hardware firewal filtering and it is enabled for the server. The server was hit with 200Mb+ of bandwidth. In case there were no protection it would be down all the time.

The filtering system we have allows for the attacks producing up to 100Mbit of bandwidth to be almost unnoticable for the customers.

Also each server has a software firewall on each server. it is not as efficient as hardware, but it helps to protect ports on the server when hackers just try to probe the server.

The bad thing with DDOS attack is that you can barely do anything about it, but just to filter tons of packets attacking the server.
cityguru
Maybe there should be some sort of redundancy or fail over for your reseller servers. Maybe the manager at Hostony shouldnt leave for the day while there is still a major issue going on. Reseller accounts should be held to a higher level of uptime otherwise we all spent money on nothing.
JasonJones
LOL, the guy from the presales forum isnt on this server is he? from this post:
http://forum.hostony.com/index.php?showtopic=3985

If he is the problem, why would hostony KNOWINGLY sign up a customer that is being forced to move from his previous host because of DDOS attacks? smile.gif thats asking for trouble if its his.

Jason
MartinB
good point Jason.
Slavik
DDOS attack is over.

Best regards,
Happy Hostony Team
Lehrer

If he is the problem, why would hostony KNOWINGLY sign up a customer that is being forced to move from his previous host because of DDOS attacks? smile.gif thats asking for trouble if its his.

Jason

A really good point of view, Jason. But he is on a different server. The matter is that we can't possibly know that it was him, I mean order forms are equal: the customer didn't mention his domain name, he just asked us whether we experienced DDos attacks, no more information about himself.
pAtrick
I am a user on that machine and suffered from this attack. I told support to try to source the attacker's target and give the target's owner a buzz. Say like if you have enemies all the times we suggest you upgrade to a VPS or dedicated bla bla
rolleyes.gif
Slavik
Everything will depend on you if you have VPS or dedicated server.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here