Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hacked: is hostony going to make it up to us
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
LARRYG
sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Some of us rely on the Hostony to service our customers, and we stand in front of our customers for quality and reliability.

What happened yesterday was a serious securityh breach, and I looked like a clown to my customers.

What makes matter worse:
1) Hostony's first answer to my rerquest for support was that I was supposed to re-load all sites. They restored my sites from back-up only after I demended them to do so. Even then I had to go thu every single directory and subdirectory to delete the index.* and defaul.* that the hackers had put there. I had to hire a contractor in a hurry to do that for me ant it cost me serious $$$$$
2) Many of my customers have threatened to bring their hosting services somewhere else (somehow I do not blame them), and I am sure that the ones that have not saying anything I am sure that they are thinking about it.
3) I was able to get committment from some of my customers by offering free upgraded service (instead of free services), which in turn is going to cost me more money and it is going to erode my already slim profits. Some of my customers are demanding free services, some demand 6 free months, some up to 12 months of free service, and some other have asked me to reimburse them for 6 month of service as a sign of good faith, as a condition of continuing doing business with me.
4) I have emailed Hostony highlighting the above, asking them to do for me what I am forced to do to my customers, and being in their same position I understand the reluctance to give free service (i.e.: 6 months at no charge), but I would seriously consider remaining if I were to be offered a free "upgrade". Again No answer as of today.
5) I have asked Hostony if my passwords were compromised, since I have many domains, many web sites, and many subwebs, and as of today I have yet to receive an answer. I would not want to have my customers change their password if I can help it, which would be admitting a more serious breach of security, but if I have to do it it must be done pronto! Days of not knowing if someone's username/password has been compromise is not conceivable

Hostony is cheap hosting, but we pay with no phone support, no 24/7 support, downtime, continuos email problems etc...

While at first thought we may want free service (i.e.: the next 6 months for free) it would not be fair to Hostony since some would use this free service, then leave them for another provider, the FAIR thing to do for Hostony is to upgrade everyone affected to the next level of service for the same billing rate, AND - of course - close the security gap that made yesterday's event possible.

Please email Hostony support and sale demanding answers and free upgrade
Slavik
Hello.
We'd like to apologize for the caused inconveniences.
Our server was defaced and we couldn't prevent this paticular case but we succeded in closing the security gap. Such things take place very seldom because we provide preventive measures but we can't prevent everything. We are doing our best in order to make the hosting more safe but we can't be responsible for every user on the shared hosting server.
You are the customer of the shared server and you provide the shared hosting yourself. The thing is that the secure gap can appear form every user.
The VPS and dedicated servers do not have such problems.

Best regards,
Hostony Team
LARRYG
Could you please tell us if our passwords have been compromised?
It would be nice to know.
Lehrer
No, your passwords are safe. You have nothing to worry about, the hacker attack doesn't have anything to do with it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here