Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The root partition on this server is running out ?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
ephotohunt
Hello!

My domain http://ephotohunt.com

I got this error message below today when I tried to login to my site CPanel

Sorry for the inconvience!
The root partition on this server is running out of disk space. Cpanel operation has been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition.

I couldn't login to my Cpanel any more.

I need your help!

Thanks!
Jim

PS: My site is down at this time.
Alec
The problem has been fixed. Sorry for the inconveniences.
ephotohunt
Hello!

Thank you for your help. But the problem just came back. I was using Cpanel to install PHPBB2 - hit submit button to start installing it then I got the same error message last night

The root partition on this server is running out of disk space. Cpanel operation has been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition.

I can't do anything with Cpanel right now. Hopefully my website don't get down too long like yesterday.

Please help!
Jim
BobcatASL
sad.gif The problem is there ... I've got the same message ... contacted support via messenger and have been sitting waiting with a Please wait ...

Hope this don't last long ...
BobcatASL
sad.gif What server were you talking about ... I'm on server27.fastbighost.com
Alec
Must be ok now.
BobcatASL
Are these still awfully high ?? Is anything going to be done about this happening over and over ?

Disk sda3 (/) 91 %
Disk sdb1 (/home2) 94 %
cjaccino
My server, server26, is having the same problem this very minute.

The other day I didn't get any of my email until late in the day. I suspect that the problem was the same one. I lost several hundred dollars as a result. I was waiting for an email from my customer, and I assumed he had not replied little did I know, the mail was waiting in a queue on a mail server somewhere. I would have had work to do.

Even if my suspicions are wrong, the problem is present this minute. I cannot add mail to my Imap mailbox right now. The drives are out of space. I'm waiting for support to address the trouble ticket, so that I can hit -retry- in thunderbird and save my mail in saved items.

Is Hostony going to be reliable enough for me to base my business domains on it? I've gotten very skeptical.
ryanmills
QUOTE(cjaccino @ Mar 14 2005, 04:59 PM)
My server, server26, is having the same problem this very minute.

The other day I didn't get any of my email until late in the day.  I suspect that the problem was the same one.  I lost several hundred dollars as a result.  I was waiting for an email from my customer, and I assumed he had not replied  little did I know, the mail was waiting in a queue on a mail server somewhere.  I would have had work to do.

Even if my suspicions are wrong, the problem is present this minute.  I cannot add mail to my Imap mailbox right now.  The drives are out of space.  I'm waiting for support to address the trouble ticket, so that I can hit -retry- in thunderbird and save my mail in saved items.

Is Hostony going to be reliable enough for me to base my business domains on it?  I've gotten very skeptical.

Well I seem to have my Cpanel... but it takes 5 mins for it to load a page dry.gif

The real kicker is when a site needs a SQL backend... If it can load pages the sql server is slow. If the sql works the site is slow. I have run trace route the pings are fine... It just does not want to spit out the pages. Even better my Cpanel was working before I started this post. Now it can cant even load the whole page with out it timing out. This is the last straw for me. I understand from time to time there will be issues. I cant check my email half the time with out getting a few diffrent errors. But if I wait 10 or 15 mins then it works again. I see no reason to have to deal with that. I sure as heck dont have time to fill out trouble tickets every time the sites slows down. I have a lot better things to do. This happens again and I'm gone. The price are great here. But you get what you pay for. Last time I make that mistake...

my main domain is brilliantminddesign.com
ryanmills
finaly got it to load... LMFAO talk about a few issues... When 7 items fails.... thats just not right... I see no reason to pay for somthing that does not work...

apache (1.3.33 (Unix)) failed
bind (9.2.4) up
cppop failed
cpsrvd up
exim (exim-4.44-0_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass) up
exim-26 up
eximstats up
ftpd failed
imap failed
mysql (4.0.22-standard) up <--- for once its up... go figure...
spamd up
syslogd up
postgresql failed <---- big shock... SQL is down...
Server Load 15.44 (4 cpus) <---hell of a load...
Memory Used 38.3 %
Swap 0.905 %
Disk hda6 (/) 39 %
Disk hdb1 (/backup) 46 %
Disk hda1 (/boot) 49 %
Disk hda5 (/home) 90 % <----- always high... issue?
Disk hda7 (/tmp) 57 %
Disk hda2 (/usr) 94 %
Disk hda3 (/var) 68 %
Alexandre
Cpanel doesn't update the server status info every second.

apache (1.3.33 (Unix)) failed
bind (9.2.4) up
cppop failed
cpsrvd up
exim (exim-4.44-0_cpanel_smtpctl_av_rewrite_mm2_mmmtrap_exiscan_md5pass) up
exim-26 up
eximstats up
ftpd failed
imap failed
mysql (4.0.22-standard) up <--- for once its up... go figure...
spamd up
syslogd up
postgresql failed <---- big shock... SQL is down...
Server Load 15.44 (4 cpus) <---hell of a load...
Memory Used 38.3 %
Swap 0.905 %
Disk hda6 (/) 39 %
Disk hdb1 (/backup) 46 %
Disk hda1 (/boot) 49 %
Disk hda5 (/home) 90 % <----- always high... issue?
Disk hda7 (/tmp) 57 %
Disk hda2 (/usr) 94 %
Disk hda3 (/var) 68 %

It doesn't mean that the service is failed because the service is being restarted at the moment and cpanel shows status as failed.

It can be down for 1-2 minutes but cpanel shows the status down when it's UP.
BobcatASL
IF your answer is that you are restarting the service ...

Why do you have to restart it so often ... I noticed services being down and unavailabe very often ...

Also, why is the disk space almost always flashing red ... (as in almost out of space). I am only using a small portion of what I paid for ... as I am sure others are also ... what if we all decided to use what we pay for ... is there enough server there for that to happen ???
BobcatASL
Any anwsers ???

Server relability ?

Sever disk space ??

What gives ?????

Why is this not be addressed ???
ryanmills
QUOTE(Alexandre @ Mar 15 2005, 07:21 AM)
Cpanel doesn't  update  the server status info every second.
It doesn't mean that the service is failed because the service is being restarted at the moment  and cpanel shows status as failed.

It can be down for  1-2 minutes  but  cpanel  shows the status down when it's UP.

so what does it mean when its down for 3 hours... dry.gif
BobcatASL
Or ... why does it take forever to load cpanel ...

Or ... why is the hard drives on the server always flashing red ... (almost out of space) ... I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't came close to using the disk space we pay for ...

Why ????

Is there any plan to correct these issues ??

Show me a reason to stay ....
Slavik
We do not restart services too often and do not allow servers to be overloaded.
BobcatASL
Support tickets would tend to prove otherwise ...

Just look in the forums ...

How many people complain that disk space is running out ?

CPanel stopped working ... due to low disk space .....

or support tickets / forum replies ... stating services are not down .. we just restarted them ...
Alexandre
It's not the truth!.

Restart of the service isn't a solution of the problem!

We are always monitiring our servers.
BobcatASL
server 27 ....

Lehrer
I suppose you know that if one is not satisfied with the server's speed, etc. there is an option of moving to a different server. Just open a trouble ticket and here you go...
BobcatASL
You have moved me before ...

I doesn't seem to matter what server ...

either its disk space issues or mail being blacklisted.
Slavik
Nobody can be guarantee that spammer can't appear on the server.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
ojenni
QUOTE(BobcatASL @ Mar 18 2005, 12:04 PM)
You have moved me before ...

I doesn't seem to matter what server ...

either its disk space issues or mail being blacklisted.

Hi BobcatASL,

I had the problem of the server being blacklisted some time ago. I then decided to have hostony setup a dedicated IP for my domains. And guess what, I never had (of course) problems anymore. So, I guess this is an option for you. BTW: The option of having a dedicated IP is not for free and will cost you some additional money. But if you need you're traffic going through, order a dedicated IP.

Regards,
Oliver
ser_pros
Cpanel is working ok on the server.
Disk space is ok on the server.
ryanmills
CODE
Slavik Posted Mar 17 2005, 12:45 PM
 We do not restart services too often and do not allow servers to be overloaded.

How do you define "too often"... I think more than once a week is to much...

I agree with BobcatASL. Over the past week I have been dealing with this crap. I have opened more than one ticket... my favorite was when I was having both issues getting both email and viewing all of my sites other than my main domain (could have been that too but there is nothing on it other than a single line of text). First they said they fixed. When I got up that next morning all the sites were down again and when they did run they were very slugish and my emails would just timeout.

When I checked my stats in the cpanel 7 services have failed and the main drive is at 90%. I dont need to spell out the math but if everyone was almost maxing their limits I think it would easily max the server. The cpu was was running ragged too. it was at 15... I waited a HOUR before I did anything thinking it was just a glitch. (you can save that line you always use about it being a reboot) it was overloaded. If it takes hours to reboot the server its time for a upgrade. I dont have to time reply to 18 emails asking why everything is down again... So I asked to be moved to a new server. They did do this that night... laugh.gif when I got up the next day only one out 40 ####@@ing domains worked... the rest still pointed to the old server IP plus all the FTP accounts about 20 or so... were missing... 8 or so hours later (peak hours by the way) The domains were moved about after about another 5 hours I could start to see them. But then the emails started to time out... then I could not access the sites or FTP with out it timing out... So I opened yet another ticket... its been a battle sence. I have ping and tracerted the hell out of server 30. I dont have a clue whats going on. All I know is I opened another account with a diffrent host and I dont have any probs at all. I have pinged and tracerted from two diffrent computers with diffrent ISPs I have had users check their access only about 20% can see or use the sites (cant explain that either). Then there are these works of tech art...

Dear Ryan Mills
Alexander Brykulya has responded to your help desk request.

URL:

-----------------------------------------------
(Alexander Brykulya)
Time: 2005-03-17 02:54:19

Dear Customer,

Please login to your cpanel and change your email passwords.

I've changed the password for test@brilliantminddesign.com to test and your mail
started working.

Please confirm if everything is ok.

I think this link will be useful for you:

http://help.hostony.com
[color=#ff9600]
[size=2]

-------------
Best regards
Alexander Brykulya
Support Team

can someone please explain how that would fix me seeing my site... If I had just a issue with the mail I could understand... I did it anyway... nope no change...

The great thing is I could try to pull my email once and say 3 or 4 would fail. I might try again and have them all go. But most of the time I would get 2 or 3 that would fail out of 8. rolleyes.gif yep I see how that could be a password....

then there is this one...

Dear Ryan Mills
Alexander Brykulya has responded to your help desk request.

URL:

(Alexander Brykulya)
Time: 2005-03-17 02:54:19

Dear Customer,

Please send me the screenshots to support@hostony.com.

Also please contact your local ISP.

Thank you.

[color=#ff9600][size=2]

[b]
-------------
Best regards
Alexander Brykulya
Support Team

call my ISP... ok unsure.gif so I called then they asked me what I want... I said I did not know I was just told to call so he hung up... ph34r.gif

so I called back and asked if there was anything that could make it a issue to view the IP 70.84.130.28 (server 30) They could not come up with one thing... He seem to think that my host was screwing with me...

I'm sorry but at this point i'm just tired of it all. I was with my last host for almost 2 years. But it costed a lot for what I got. Now I understand why. I wont try to save a few bucks but going to a "cheap" host again... Then again I cant move becuse the cant seem to hold a conn for longer than a 2 secs. uploading a file thru FTP takes about 10 times to get it to go thru...

sigh...
Lehrer
We would appreciate it if you were more specific. What cpanel do you mean?
Please give the necessary details: server IP, username, etc...

Thank you beforehand, Lehrer
ryanmills
for me its server30 please see this post
BobcatASL
QUOTE(Lehrer @ Mar 19 2005, 12:01 AM)
We would appreciate it if you were more specific. What cpanel do you mean?
Please give the necessary details: server IP, username, etc...

Thank you beforehand, Lehrer

I'm not sure that it would do any good ... I've put in multiple tickets myself.

Everytime ... most all I get .. is its working okay from here

I just logged into my canel (took almost a minute)

sda3 91%
sdb1 93%

Multiple times this week ... cpanel has stopped due to low space.

I know I'm not anywhere near max on what I am supposed to be able to use.

btw ... I'm on server27.fastbighost.com
daliblume
Now server14.fastbighost.com (207.44.232.113) is reporting the same problem.

MySQL is returning "Too many connections" to my php script.

And CPanel fails, saying: "Sorry for the inconvience! The root partition on this server is running out of disk space. Cpanel operation has been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition."

This server was fsck'ed two days ago (with no explanation), and rebooted yesterday. At this rate, the server will be down more than 1% for the year, and that's quite a lot.

Can you tell us what's been going on?
BobcatASL
I wish you luck finding out ...

I for one .. am in the process of moving my files off these servers.

I know others are doing the same.
Slavik
[/QUOTE]"Sorry for the inconvience! The root partition on this server is running out of disk space. Cpanel operation has been temporarily suspended to prevent something bad from happening. Please ask your system admin to remove any files not in use on that partition."[QUOTE]

The problem is fixed.
We are sorry for the caused inconveniences.

Best regards,
Slavik Koshelev
BobcatASL
I was just informed by support ---

(Sergey Protsun)
Time: 2005-03-21 03:40:51

Dear Bob
Our servers are not overloaded.
They are working properly.

Thank you,

Help Desk

So I must be wrong ...

Funny ... I can't imaging running servers where the hard drives are over 90% as a general rule ...

What if everyone decided to use the diskspace they paid for ...
midav
This problem has been fixed
The reason of it is a making of backup.
It takes a lot of disk space
vertices
I have an answer to all of your problems. Get the ####@@ off these lousy servers with lousy support.

Everyone here knows as much about running an IT company as my 16 day old son. And that's being generous.

The servers are crap cause the admins are crap. Having to restart services weekly? Come the ####@@ on. There are so many problems here that even listing them out would be too laborious.

Just get the ####@@ out guys. There are many better hosts out there. I moved to www.######.com and couldn't be any happier. Super fast support and many many options.

Customers shouldn't have to jump through hoops to have good reliable hosting. I can't even get the ####@@ers to give me my money back. Scam artists if you ask me.

mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif mad.gif

This ####@@in guy can't even make anything close to understandable English:

QUOTE(midav @ Mar 21 2005, 10:52 PM)

What a ####@@in joke.
Slavik
Dear Vertices,
One more nice message from you.
You have a very big ideolect.
vertices
QUOTE(Slavik @ Mar 22 2005, 12:46 AM)
Dear Vertices,
One more nice message from you.
You have a very big ideolect.

Do you have any idea how foolish one looks when they incorrectly insult someone? You should fully understand a word before using it. It will help you appear to be more intelligent. Saying that I "have a big ideolect" simply doesn't make sense.

http://www.mcky.net/ideolects.htm
BobcatASL
QUOTE(midav @ Mar 21 2005, 10:52 PM)

Then you must be making backups what ... every hour ... everytime I have checked on that server ... the disk is over 90%
Lehrer
QUOTE(vertices @ Mar 22 2005, 04:57 PM)
Do you have any idea how foolish one looks when they incorrectly insult someone?  You should fully understand a word before using it.  It will help you appear to be more intelligent.  Saying that I "have a big ideolect" simply doesn't make sense. 

http://www.mcky.net/ideolects.htm

Dear vertices, would you prefer the word "strong" instead of "big"?

I'd better say your dialect is more "spicy" than "strong" wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif
ojenni
Hello vertices,
Hello BobcatASL,

I am really wondering why you are still browsing this forum and keep on complaining. As far as I understood, vertices has moved to another hosting provider. So, what is the reason to keep on writing in this forum using a language that makes you look somehow undereducated or childish?

Additionally, I do not know why BobcatASL is still hosting his websites here either. If there are so many hosting providers out there that will offer better support, so why don't you just move you data to that provider.

Actually, I am really wondering about people that search for a very cheap hosting provider but expect no downtime. Please get real... If you want to control you server get a dedicated server from hostony. That's why they are offering this kind of hosting plan.

Regards,
Oliver
vertices
QUOTE(ojenni @ Mar 22 2005, 01:40 PM)
Hello vertices,
Hello BobcatASL,

I am really wondering why you are still browsing this forum and keep on complaining. As far as I understood, vertices has moved to another hosting provider. So, what is the reason to keep on writing in this forum using a language that makes you look somehow undereducated or childish?

Additionally, I do not know why BobcatASL is still hosting his websites here either. If there are so many hosting providers out there that will offer better support, so why don't you just move you data to that provider.

Actually, I am really wondering about people that search for a very cheap hosting provider but expect no downtime. Please get real... If you want to control you server get a dedicated server from hostony. That's why they are offering this kind of hosting plan.

Regards,
Oliver

People keep replying, so do I. I just want the truth to be known. People are not getting what they should be at Hostony.

And by the way...Hostony doesn't even keep their guaranteed uptime rates.

http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

Scroll down to number 238. They currently are at 98.289% uptime over the last 83 days....not the 99% they claim and even 99% is low.

That's 24.6 minutes on average each day that they are down. That is a hell of lot of downtime. And that doesn't even inculde downtime from stupid problems that occur like MySQL database problems, login problems, etc....

Do you think they are refunding some money to their customers automatically due to them not holding up their end of the agreement? Hell no. Most customers don't even realize how much their site is down and don't want to bother causing "waves" and asking for money back.

Hostony is raping you guys and yet you still defend them. Loyal customers to the death. I need more clients like you guys, happy with any old bone thrown to them. cool.gif
MartinB
ojenni: you are right.

Vertices:

do you see thounsand of posts about "dead to hostony! I will go to another hoster!!!" ??

As I mean, hostony have hundreds (or thousands?) of websites hosted, and I only can see your unpolites posts.

I'm 1 year now with Hostony, and i have ~40 accounts hosted here, and I'm VERY satisfied with them.

My experience was really acceptable, price is really competitive, and support staff are great(and very patient, hehe).

Just get a life and find something to do with your time, please do not spend my time, and support time filling our forum with your "usefull" posts. wink.gif

- A happy client.
- An unhappy reader.

PS:

And by the way...Hostony doesn't even keep their guaranteed uptime rates.

http://www.hyperspin.com/ranking.php?type=1

Scroll down to number 238. They currently are at 98.289% uptime over the last 83 days....not the 99% they claim and even 99% is low.

Ok I read it:

Company Name: Hostony
Avg. Uptime:98.29%
Avg. Monitoring Interval (mins):60
Avg. Monitored Duration (days) :83
Server Monitored: 1

Monitored in 60min intervals?? for 83 days, and only 1 server ? do you think hostony is one server ?

I have another stats for Hostony, in my server:

http://www.siteuptime.com/statistics.php?I...18&&UserId=9432

wizhosting.com.ar

Since: 7/2/2004
Outages: 22
Total Uptime: 99.632%

Year Outages Uptime
2005 7 99.583%

Year Month  Outages  Uptime Downtime
2005 March  2  99.614% 0.386%
2005 February 2  99.546% 0.454%

Average response time: 0.360 seconds

And this is monitored with 30min interval, not good, but best than the page your suggested.
biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here