Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Maintenance 70.84.105.196, 70.84.130.28
Hostony Board > General > News and Announcements
Alexandre
Greetings,

We apologize for the short notice regarding this work. The work last night to bring the new fiber ring up went well, but
in order to optimize the routing between the datacenters some additional work will be necessary. Hostony Engineering will
be modifying some routing information at the datacenter tonight beginning at 11:59PM CST (GMT -0600) and lasting
until 1:00AM CST. It is anticipated that the work tonight will take less than 15 minutes, and that it will not cause any
interruption in service, but because routing tables are being modified, it is possible that end users might experience some
packet loss, latency, and disconnections during the work. We are allocating an hour to complete the work in case any
unanticipated issues arise.

We appreciate your patience and cooperation in this matter.
steve_d555
70.84.130.28 still seems to be down, and it is now 10:00am EST (GMT -5:00). Can not access it through webpage, and all attempted pings are dropped.

Thanks,
--Steve

EDIT: Wierdest thing just came back online, 10:05am
Supersonic^
Is it down again? I can't go on my site. cPanel and FTP work, but I just can't go on the site.

www.evnation.net is the site btw.

edit: Now FTP isn't working. cPanel still is, and the service status shows all green :/

And I've only had hostony for one day :/
traxxton
Mines been on/off all day. I got a response back, but its still down.

"The server is up now. It was down because of the network problem. Sorry for the inconveniences."

I only had them for a few days too, but the few times I contacted support there has been someone there to respond pretty quickly so im going to give them a chance after this is over.
Alec
I will escalate this to our network group for further investigation. We'll keep you informed about the problem status. Sorry for the inconveniences.
livespor
Still doesn't work
the site is up and down every second
http://70.84.130.28/~livespor/index.php?act=idx
also the FTP disconnect every second
Supersonic^
I'm just glad I didn't cancel my old hosting just yet. Otherwise I wouldn't have been so restrained with my frustration.
traxxton
Is there any new news on the problem? Could you let us know in detail what the problem is, so we can have an understanding?
JasonJones
Shh... don't complain so much!
Supersonic^
QUOTE(JasonJones @ Mar 3 2005, 03:45 PM)
Shh... don't complain so much!

It's our right as consumers tongue.gif
splufdaddy
I would also appreciate an update, my site has been unreliable for over 24 hours now. (www.scottconnor.com)
steve_d555
Same here. Even though it hasnt officially switched to your nameservers, the IP address you have given me for cPanel and my FTP, have been pretty unreliable. I hope this is just temporary.

Thanks,
--Steve
Alec
Although some problems still occur the server is working much better. Sorry for the inconveniences caused by the network problems. We are still struggling against the network problems.
splufdaddy
I'm still seeing between 50%-100% packet loss. Can you be a little more specific about these network problems, and give us an estimate of when this might be fixed? What type of problem is this that it still persists over 24 hours later?
Jack Hertz
Well, yeah.. I've only been able to access my site for 1 minute yesterday sometime.. But since March 2nd, 2005 at 11:00 AM someone told me the site was down, I didn't expect that except while editing my site the other other night it stopped working at around 1-2 AM. I'ts now March 3rd, 2005 and 9:00 PM. I think that's about 43-44 hours?

But you know, no matter. I have nothing better to do but inform everyone that the updates that were to take place on march 3rd happened to not happen, which I did already. I am doing some off site coding regardless..

Just kinda wasting time here wondering if it will be ever fixed and performing some random calculations.

Did you know that assuming we reached the full extent of 3 days that the downtime would be about 60%? Fascinating. I think that's 40% uptime.. but I like 50% I think it sounds much more risky. I'm a cronic coin flipper and would be card-freak, so I like that 50/50 chance.

While we're waiting though, let us sit around a campfire and introduce ourselves to eachother.

I'm a 20 male from British Columbia, Canada and am really new to this website thing, when the website is up it will be www.themusicality.com, also, I'm working on www.jackhertz.com (It's kind of like a company..) My actual name is Jack Matier.

okay, wait, i have to go. would be nice to hear a little about everyone else here waiting though.
steve_d555
QUOTE(splufdaddy @ Mar 3 2005, 11:20 PM)
I'm still seeing between 50%-100% packet loss.  Can you be a little more specific about these network problems, and give us an estimate of when this might be fixed?  What type of problem is this that it still persists over 24 hours later?

I've got pretty much the same problem. Sometimes the server will work perfectly, but other times it will just stop for about 5 minutes.

And Im a 14yr old kid in Boston, and my site is just personal, for me and my friends.
traxxton
I joined a few days ago to host a few sites at a fair price. I didnt expect 99% uptime, but it hasnt been up much at all in the last few days.

If its not working by tonight, im going back to my old hosting provider and asking for a refund from hostony.
Jack Hertz
I guess it wasn't that emergancy fibre optics thing that the other post was about. Rats, I was kind of hoping it was.

Say, what other provider are you using anyway? I was kinda thinking of globat.com

I'm thinking of moving there regardless if it's back online, I know there is a problem when I give someone my email address from hostony and tell them to not email there because there is never a good chance that it will arrive.

Perhaps I'll let it hit 75% downtime first though.. Just for kicks.

No, this is it.. I am looking for something else.

So, any suggestions?
traxxton
1and1.com has the best uptime I have ever seen. I was on there "free" plan for awhile. There prices can be higher depending on what you need. I needed multiple domain hosting.
Jack Hertz
QUOTE(traxxton @ Mar 4 2005, 03:07 PM)
1and1.com has the best uptime I have ever seen. I was on there "free" plan for awhile. There prices can be higher depending on what you need. I needed multiple domain hosting.

yeah.. I need more of a multi-domain high bandwidth solution at the moment. It does look nice but I'm still leaning towards globat.com, they kind of seemed honest about their uptime as well. If you see here: http://support.globat.com/faqs.php?action=sub2&c=1&id=43

And http://www.globat.com/packages/index.php?packages=pro is the package I'm looking at, aaaand http://www.globat.com/netstatus/server_info.php it's freeBSD unix. Which is also nice. (I like some things only unix/linux provides).

Just asking about their mysql storage at the moment.

Edit: I wonder how I will make the transition of my domain names anyway, are they locked at hostony and am I doomed to be with them forever until my domains expire?
peteT
QUOTE(Jack Hertz @ Mar 4 2005, 07:51 PM)
Edit: I wonder how I will make the transition of my domain names anyway, are they locked at hostony and am I doomed to be with them forever until my domains expire?

Do you control your domains or did hostony register them for you?

If you control them ...GREAT ! Just change the nameserver info once you pick a new provider and you are good to go.

If not you'll after ask hostony to transfer the domain to your new provider.
You should do this anyways as hostony doesnot have a good track record
on renewing expired domains in THEIR control...
Alec
We control only domain names which are were registered or transferred as a free domain option.
Alec
We have made some changes that we hope has alleviated the issue. Please let us know if you are still seeing the same problem.
Jack Hertz
*laughs*

Yeah, it went to the page. YAY!!!

Although, I still want to share this little story of mine.

I was helping a irritated client trying to explain that there was some technical difficulties and that's why they were having troubles with there email. When further helping her 'one on one' with the email, it actually did log in which was great but later it failed to connect over and over. After looking somewhat a fool, I was abruptly interrupted in embarrassment with "I don't have time for this", which she later explained to me in nearly these very words. "This is not satisfactory at all, I mean I use this other email and yeah sometimes it fails to connect but not with a failure rate like this. You can actually expect to access your email in a few moments or a minute. This, I can't. Sorry."

And this is similar to what I hear over and over. You know though, early in the hosting I always said "they have great support" etc etc, and slowly that faded, and the server up time was never really there, and the speeds were always ####@@ing slow. I mean I've hosted things from this computer running ADSL and people were able to access the same sites 10 times faster. Seriously, I thought it was my websites that were slow.

Granted though, I gave you a while because I figured technical situations arise, but this is just plain wrong. Now how am I supposed to tell the other people I referred through here to stop using hostony? (though I admit that it was only just under two handfulls of people)

So, sorry hostony, I'm going to live out this last contract and I guess not keep the domain that i got for free and forward things to globat. If I do decide on that one.

I can't say you guys are horrible, just bad for what I need, which is reliability. I'm sure if I had stuff that I didn't expect anyone to visit, I would be more then enthusiastic to continue. I'll recommend you to those people.

Sincerely,
Jack Matier
Nibbles
I wasn't aware that there was maintenance going on so I submitted a support ticket.

For me, everything seems to be fine except all my databases have *poof* dissapeared.
Alec
Please provide your database name in the ticket
steve_d555
Sites been up for a while, and there havent been any problems. Good work!
Hazy
umm... when paying for hosting are we paying for reliability? huh.gif

www.1and1.com and www.crystaltech.com are have been great to me and I am currently switching everything that is on Hostony over to different accounts of both of those hosts...

I am sick and tired of the servers being 'down with technical difficulties'!!

So I'll take my $ else where... your loss.
Alec
Hazy, please tell me your domain name and I'll have a look at your problem
midav
The problem is not with the server, or the network inside the datacenter. The issue is that 70.* IP addresses are relatively new, and some ISPs and routers still discard those packets thinking that they are invalid. This is an issue that we have no control over, and cannot change. Over time, the routers will get updated and stop discarding packets, and the only way for you to expedite this process is for you to call your ISP and ask them to remove the bogon filters blocking traffic from/to 70.*.*.* IP addresses.

We've transferred your account to another server: 67.15.112.25
Your domain has been pointed to this server too
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?na...ertz.com&type=A

Login and pass are the same
Supersonic^
Just thought I'd say that since my website was moved from 70.84.130.28 I haven't experienced the problems that I used to get.

My $0.02.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here