Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PHP5 Availability - When?
Hostony Board > General Support > PHP/MySQL
rhadc
When will Hostony offer PHP5 scripting support?

I've looked for the answer in this forum, and so far I've found only a statement from Hostony administrators saying that Hostony supports PHP4.

Upgrading to PHP5 would break PHP4 code. Although it sometimes runs fine, PHP4 object oriented code would have major problems running under a PHP5 scripting engine. Many of the scripts that Hostony offers under its "fantastico" program would cease to work.

Of course, all this assumes that PHP5 would be installed to replace PHP4. I personally wouldn't mind running PHP5 code where the files were required to have an extension of .php5, instead of .php. However, this would break some preexisting scripts, however.

Despite the administration problems relating to upgrades, PHP5 seems preferred by the folks writing the web programming books. It seems clear to me that PHP5 is generally considered to successfully replace PHP4. PHP5 has much better support for Object Oriented Programming, provides for better error handling, and has many other new features for which I am quickly finding uses. This is not a train that Hostony is going to stop - PHP5 support will be required for Hostony to keep customers, including me.

How is the Web hosting industry going to deal with demand for both options? Whatever it is, Hostony should get on it soon. Although I like Hostony, I will find someone else to pay for the features I need.

Are there plans to make PHP5 available? What details can Hostony provide regarding future availability of PHP5?

Cordially,

Colin Jaccino
Alexandre
PHP5 scripting support not planned yet and I can't give you an ETA.

I'm sorry but we support only php 4.x
MartinB
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here