Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: dns servers
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
dingfelder
I saw a different thread somewhere else that mentioned using hostony.org instead of hostony.com or something similar.

Can you provide info on what nameservers we SHOULD be pointing to from godaddy (or other domain services)

for example, im currently using

Nameserver 1: NS8.HOSTONY.NET
Nameserver 2: NS2.HOSTONY.COM

cheers,

andy
ser_pros
Please tell me your domain name.
Kendric Moxon
XX
ser_pros
Please try to register this domain with dns.hostony.com and
dns.hostony.org again.
Kendric Moxon
XX
Stanly
I have already answered to your trouble ticket.
Please do not duplicate requests at the forum.
dingfelder
im the one who started this thread... my domain is www.computingasyoulikeit.com

what dns servers should I be using?
Alec
Please PM me your control panel link and I will answer your question.
dingfelder
I PMed you yesterday... did you get the message? by control panel link, do you mean the url I use to access cpanel?
Dima
Yes, we mean the url you use to access cpanel smile.gif
dingfelder
ok Dima, since Alec didn't respond to my PM, I went ahead and sent you a PM with the url.
Alec
You shoudn't change your name server if your site is working ok now
dingfelder
im just asking because I pretty consistantly get slow response from my servers.

Looking at DNSReports, I get B- rating from many of my domains but one for example gets an F

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnstime.ch?n...lder.org&type=A

I just want to make sure that BOTH my dns servers are correct, espessially since I saw elsewhere that other servers were used for hostony.
dingfelder
no more replies? I'm a bit frustrated because this seems like a no-brainer...

You should have a table of servers, with their corresponding dns servers.

This info should be maintained / updated by hostony any time changes occur to dns servers.

It seems to me that my dns servers have random names
Nameserver 1: NS8.HOSTONY.NET
Nameserver 2: NS2.HOSTONY.COM

whereas DNS.HOSTONY.COM and DNS.HOSTONY.ORG or some such names would be easier to decipher.

Looking at my last post, the F rating I get from dingfelder.org is troubling. reading the report they gave, is it because the name server is a com and net, rather than a .org server?
Lehrer
I just want to make sure that BOTH my dns servers are correct, espessially since I saw elsewhere that other servers were used for hostony.

Dear Andrew, both nameservers for your site are correct. Other people, who are on different servers use different nameservers. By the way, we really do have a table of servers, with the corresponding dns servers.
dingfelder
Im glad to hear you do have a list (I just wish it were available for us to see so we can verify our servers are set right)

However, I am still concerned that my dns report for dingfelder.org still is getting an F rating. Can you help me improve it?
ser_pros
You will get the following warning:
The parent servers (I checked with TLD2.ULTRADNS.NET.) are not providing glue for all your nameservers. This means that they are supplying the NS records (host.example.com), but not supplying the A records (192.0.2.53), which can cause slightly slower connections, and may cause incompatibilities with some non-RFC-compliant programs. This is perfectly acceptable behavior per the RFCs. This will usually occur if your DNS servers are not in the same TLD as your domain (for example, a DNS server of "ns1.example.org" for the domain "example.com"). In this case, you can speed up the connections slightly by having NS records that are in the same TLD as your domain.

by the following link:
http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.c...=dingfelder.org

It means that you should contact your registrar and they will explain you the reason of this warning.
You should use nameservers which your registrar provides.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here