Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Slow site speed
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Bluefin221
My users are now basically complaining daily about slow site speeds. I have an entire thread dedicated to it on my forums.

Its not the actual speed of the HTML pages which are always generally fine, but anything that connects to mySQL is a nightmare.

Here is one complaint:

I mentioned this a while ago about the site being slow to Andy and he has trimmed the forum down and installed something to help it.
I have noticed a little improvement but not much.
At the bottom of the page it says this page generated 0.625 seconds but i can assure you this is wrong. I timed it with a stopwatch and it took 8.24 seconds..
I have seen it sometimes take about 25 seconds to load a page and this really annoys me. I have a 1.1mb connecton so it shouldn't take that long.
As for Firefox/Mozilla. I have been using this browser ever since it came out in beta. I could never go back to IE, but sometimes you have to use it. Like on the National Lottery site the Mozilla browser isn't compatible with the scratch cards on it.
Another:

I'm using a laptop with all the rubbish taken off, the site does seem to drag at times. I've just put Firefox on and there is a definite improvement.  Although still slow compared to other sites, I also use a 1.1mb connection.

Even as we speak it just took me
Page Generation: 35.11 Seconds
to get into the 2nd page of the thread I'm using.

Another complaint:

Here's a picture of how long it took to generate a page and this wasn't my first time on the site today, so I have the images of the site in my cache.
Nearly 30 seconds for a page is unacceptable and the hosts should do something about it.

I agree with the above.

I posted before about slow speeds and was basically laughed at. Now I'm pissed off and want something sorted. There is no way this should be the case either hostony have me on a poor server, or they have too many sites on the server I'm on. Either way they should be making sure the servers can hold the sites.

Some of the things thats been happening have been making me wonder if all the space and addons are just artificial to get people like me to buy from hostony.

I WOULD appreciate a response on this matter, and don't bother sending me to support for a hush hush discussion, as nothing bloody happens when I go there either.

I have been complaining about my stats to be fixed for 6 months and just gave up!
JasonJones
The HDD additions are real at least when it was announced that was happening on Server25, there was an additional disk placed in the system.

Some of the reasons for the slownes might be the amount of people packed into a server. The numbers below represent domain names attached to the IP addresses of each server. Some of those may just be parked domains, but I think the subdomains would offset the number so these should be fairly accurate numbers. Keep in mind that probably a good 50% or more of these sites are "blogs" or running some type of Content Management system. These are most always database driven on the backend(mysql etc) and can cause a LOT of load on a server.

654 on Server20
494 on Server21
659 on Server22
582 on Server23
265 on Server24 (and growing with the move)
783 on Server25 (603 of them are accounts, not just addon/parked etc)

Server24 appears to be on the new IP range with ThePlanet.com.

Keep in mind with the move to the new servers it looks like Hostony has gone with IDE harddrives and not SCSI w/Raid. So there might be a performance hit there as well with file intensive applications.

Hope this info helps.

Jason
Bluefin221
It helps me to understand why its slow. Doesn't offer a solution as to how it can be speed up!
MartinB
The solution is so simply: "Hostony, get more servers".
wink.gif

Jason: good job, how can i check the number of accounts per server ?
Bluefin221
It seems strange to me. The package I have is huge I have 7 gig of web-space and around 100 gig of monthly bandwith, what would happen if I actually used all of this???

I really would like hostony to resolve this situation as I'm not the only one that complains about it. I detest complaining, my site goes down at least 2/3 times a week which I'm used to now but the slow server connections are becoming a nightmare the bigger my site gets.

A few strange things have happened which I won't go into here but I just don't know what to do any longer, as one of my users has said I have cleaned everything for top performance.
Bluefin221
Still nothing from any hostony Reps on this though.

Are others suffering the same as me?
Chaos
you are not the only one.
I own www.chaosutopia.net, i raised a call about speed yesterday and have not yet received a response.

I am currently developing this site and it's up and down like a tarts knickers!

Please please please sort this out Hostony or give me my money back!
Chaos
Now i'm down totally, in the middle of a test!!!!!
Bluefin221
site has been bollocks all day hostony, this thread is still ignored.
Stanly
Bluefin221
Please tell me some exactly URL where I can see that pages are slow.
I'll check your information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here