Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Security
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
theambassador
What kind of secrity do your servers have?
theambassador
My last host got hacked, how do I know hacking is very unlikely to happen here?
JasonJones
laugh.gif Well...

Your last host probably did not get hacked to any "security" or lack there of on their side... It was probably compromised by a script on one of the vhosts... Or I could be mistaken and they just left root password as :: ...

The only real way to secure a site is to unplug the powercord. Its impossible to guarantee the security of an virtual hosting because there will always be someone who installs a script and uses the password "letmein" or "secret" ... Or leaves the Admin panel with a default of "admin" ... Also there are new exploits and vunerabilites out each day. Hostony has been fairly pro-active on installing upgrades and most of their servers are fairly up to date with patches etc... I think thats about all you can ask out of a Hosting provider unless you want to step into Co-Location and hire someone to do security for you.

I'm for hire smile.gif

Jason
theambassador
So all that I can do is trust that people are working on it all the time?
JasonJones
Well, I'm in no way an offical answer from Hostony, but ... For the price, yep...

Now for technical details... Their servers a located in a Secure building with multiple video camera, all access is logged and you must have clearance to enter the NOC (this is their Upstreams Physical Security) ... Virtual hosting is run in a jailshell so as to provide a small layer of filesystem security. The routers going in/out of the NOC filter pretty much all the bad packets (spoofs etc)... And like I said earlier, People are working on the patches/fixes as they come out, so the server farm is pretty much up to date. Data Backups are performed Weekly, you can request that a backup is performed whenever for you as well. And the Root password is VERY hard to guess...

Jason
Stanly
Hello, guys.

Our servers are highly secured and your account can be hacked only by some vulnerability at your scripts.
Also we have our own security monitoring system so if there will be some kind of hack attempt we will know about this immediately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here