Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: couple of questions
Hostony Board > General > Pre-Sales Questions
Anonymous
I'm seriously considering moving my hosting here, to the ultra plan, because i'm having troubles with my present host...a couple of questions

I run a forum from my hosting, and on my present host, when the forum is busy, lots of people recieve a "cgi-limit reached" message. The forum is php/mysql so i'm not sure where the cgi bit comes into it, but i'm told it's because my host has a limit of 12 concurrent connections. At busy times i have over 100 visitors on my forum at anyone time, so will your hosting allow/be able to cope with this?

Second question. Recently, my database started behaving very strangely, in that it kep throwing up permission denied messages when trying to connect and other stuff. I don't know for certain, but i have suspicions, that it was due to the size of my databse (over 100mb) is there any limit on the size of databases here? or is it taken out of the overall storage limit? Or is there some physical limitation to mysql databases that i should know about?

last question: domain transfers: can you handle them...and how long will it take roughly? I have about 13 domains at the moment, assuming my current host cooperate, how long will it take from requesting a transfer to the domain pointing to space here? and would it be possible to transfer in two batches so i can maintain as much uptime as possible?

thanks for your help in these questions smile.gif
Shurik
I run a forum from my hosting, and on my present host, when the forum is busy, lots of people recieve a "cgi-limit reached" message. The forum is php/mysql so i'm not sure where the cgi bit comes into it, but i'm told it's because my host has a limit of 12 concurrent connections. At busy times i have over 100 visitors on my forum at anyone time, so will your hosting allow/be able to cope with this?  
Obviously they are running php as cgi interpreter and not like an apache module. It is very slow way to run php scripts.
We run php as apache module and don't phisically limit the number of concurrent connections. If there are free connections they can be used.
Also your site should not create problems to other people on the server like consuming all the connections.

Second question. Recently, my database started behaving very strangely, in that it kep throwing up permission denied messages when trying to connect and other stuff. I don't know for certain, but i have suspicions, that it was due to the size of my databse (over 100mb) is there any limit on the size of databases here? or is it taken out of the overall storage limit? Or is there some physical limitation to mysql databases that i should know about?  

It is not because of database size. It is because you reached their limit on mysql connections and your forum cannot connect to the database to read data because of restriction on database connections.
We also don't put any exact restrictions on this. If your site doesn't create problems for others on the server with mysql database it is ok.

last question: domain transfers: can you handle them...and how long will it take roughly? I have about 13 domains at the moment, assuming my current host cooperate, how long will it take from requesting a transfer to the domain pointing to space here? and would it be possible to transfer in two batches so i can maintain as much uptime as possible?  

If your domains are registered with internic - yes we can help than if with other registrar then no as I don't know others except internic who provides the procedure for domain transfer.

But domain transfer is simple procedure. You'll have just to change 2 records for nameservers per each domain. That's it.
Domains start to look to the new server in 72 hours max usually in about 24 hours. And you can transfer them in several batches or one by one.
Anonymous
ok that's all good to know smile.gif

About the domains, I'm based in the UK, so all my domains are hosted with the company that handles the .uk domains...

www.nic.uk

is that gonna make a difference.I know they can do transfers, because i've transfered a domain from my old host to my current host.

Thanks for the quick response. Encouraging as regards customer services as well smile.gif
Shurik
No, there should be no difference for uk domains or for any other regional domain name. All that should be done is just change nameservers for each your domain.
Anonymous
cool, i'm getting close to ordering...one of the reasons i'm leaving my current hosts is because they take so long to respond to support...so this place is looking promising. Anyway, my point, i asked them about the procedure for transferring domains to another host, and they finally responded (as i don'thave dns control or anything on my current host)

they told me this is the procedure...

To transfer to a different host then you must follow the procedure
outlined below.

Firstly, your domain must be cancelled from our servers,

In order to be able to process your cancellation please send a signed
cancellation quoting your domainname and the customer id either via fax
or mail.

Once this is done you must contact your new service provider and ask
them to undergo a transfer for that domain name, if they require a TAG
or nameserver change then we will do this if contacted via FAX/mail at
the details given above.

so does this mean that once i've sent them the cancel request, i just give them your tag's to change the records to, and then you'll handle everything else?

and also, when you set up an account, you need to specify a domain, but because all my domains are hosted elsewhere this could make things tricky...so what happens about that?

one last question...in you toc you specify that you can change the price apart from people under contract, but in your hosting plans you list one of the features as a price freeze from once you take up the hosting...so this seems kind of contradictory....???

thanks for all your help...and like i said, i'll be ordering soon!! smile.gif
Anonymous
cool, i'm getting close to ordering...one of the reasons i'm leaving my current hosts is because they take so long to respond to support...so this place is looking promising. Anyway, my point, i asked them about the procedure for transferring domains to another host, and they finally responded (as i don'thave dns control or anything on my current host)

they told me this is the procedure...

To transfer to a different host then you must follow the procedure
outlined below.

Firstly, your domain must be cancelled from our servers,

In order to be able to process your cancellation please send a signed
cancellation quoting your domainname and the customer id either via fax
or mail.

Once this is done you must contact your new service provider and ask
them to undergo a transfer for that domain name, if they require a TAG
or nameserver change then we will do this if contacted via FAX/mail at
the details given above.

so does this mean that once i've sent them the cancel request, i just give them your tag's to change the records to, and then you'll handle everything else?

and also, when you set up an account, you need to specify a domain, but because all my domains are hosted elsewhere this could make things tricky...so what happens about that?

one last question...in you toc you specify that you can change the price apart from people under contract, but in your hosting plans you list one of the features as a price freeze from once you take up the hosting...so this seems kind of contradictory....???

thanks for all your help...and like i said, i'll be ordering soon!! smile.gif
Anonymous
oops...double post!!
Shurik
Yes you have to give them our nameservers and they should put them in registry database.
After that we'll configure nameservers to resolve for your ip and your site will be loaded from our server.

As for tos. It is realted to all our services (dedicated, outsourced support, etc.) - not just shared hosting.
Price Freeze option is related only for our shared hosting plans.

I just can say that we are not planning to rise prices or something like this for any our services including those note covered with Price freeze option.
smikwily
not planning to rise prices

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's what they always say

biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here