Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bandwidth Explanation
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Glide
Everyone,

Most of you probably already knew this, but Alex Kanevsky at Hostony Support taught me something about Bandwidth. I assumed that the "bandwidth used" simply was re-set to zero on the first of each month and then accumulated through the end of the month. But that really isn't true - Bandwidth is a rolling number. So if you see that you have used 20 Gig, and it is the 12th of the month then that number is the amount used since the 12th of the previous month.

After giving it some thought I understand why this is better from a users management standpoint. You never really have to worry as much about going over your limit because it remains a trend. Once a week you can look and see if it is staying around 20 gig. or whatever your number is. There is no finite cut-off date (the first of each month) that you have to make or break and worry about going over. Like I said, most of you probably already knew that, but I didn't, and maybe there are others here that didn't realize how it worked.

Thanks.
JasonJones
That would be an interesting way of handling bandwidth management, but it is incorrect at least on how its shown to the end users via cpanel, and its also not mentioned in any of the agreements/terms. The bandwidth on my account is Zero'd out on the first of each month, I have monitored that each month.

Lets say that on the 4th & 5th of last month I used 20gb/day(Link of the day on macromedia site or somthing), but the rest of the month and into this one was 2gb/day. On the 2nd 10gb/day was used and went back to 2gb/day for the rest of this month. According to that on the 2nd of this month, my account would be suspended for using 104gb, and wouldnt be reactivated till the 5th when the banwidth would fall below 100gb for 5th-5th, when in reality I used 96gb last month and only 12gb so far this month.

Also take into consideration, if the above method of handling bandwidth was true, why does my bandwidth used shown not jump all around but just increments till the 1st when its reset? I do not have a constant stream of bandwidth to my sites, they are variable, somedays have more than others, so I would be seeing the numbers fluctuating day to day then in the report.
Glide
J.J. - On our account in CPanel it showed that we had used 32 gig by the 8th day of this month and there is no way that is possible.
Maybe the dates for recording run from the day you set up the account instead of the first day of the month. I know one thing for sure - Our bandwidth usage did not re-set to ZERO on December 1st. I contacted support about it and Alex told me that the 32 gig. used was from Nov 8 to Dec 8.

Could someone shed some light on this subject? If we get cut off without any warning this month I am going to be madder than a 1-legged man in an ass kicking contest.
JasonJones
I will ask that support please outline the EXACT policy for bandwidth HERE in this post on this forum so we can all be educated. I may be wrong, and if so, WHY does mine reset?

Jason

Edits:
I will bump this daily until we get a reply from support....
JasonJones
12/10/2004 2:53:26 PM - Still no reply from Hostony.. BUMP
MartinB
welcome to the recent founded Bumper's team
Alec
Glide:

I told you about bandwidth calculation on windows server only, especially, Helm control panel.

The main difference between helm and cpanel concerning traffic calculation is that when you see some bandwidth value in control panel, it is equal:

- to bandwidth, has been used for the last 30 days (on Helm);
- to bandwidth, has been used since the beginning of the month (in Cpanel)
JasonJones
Thank you Alec.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here