Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Chat
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
MicahR79
I remember reading something in the user agreement that said chat's are not allowed is that all chat pages or is that just certain types. I think it said because they are a heavy strain on the server. Wouldn't that just deal then with our bandwidth?

Anyways any thoughts or help on this would be appreciated.
JasonJones
Most of the chat software requires some type of server connection that causes "load" on the server. Load is not bandwidth its CPU/Memory... So if lots of people were running server intensive programs it wouldnt work so well for everyone else.

There are PHP type of chat systems out there, those are perfectly fine as they do not require any type of server process to run on the server, only the php scripts.

Jason
MicahR79
Yeah I am trying out a php chat that I picked up Jason, the only problem is my lack of php knowledge isn't helping me get far. I got the script from http://www.webdev.ro it is called web chat. Do you think you could take a look at it for me and help me understand how to install it. He is talking a bit over my head. The teathing process of php is hurting my brain. And I am only one day into it.

wacko.gif

Micah
ChrisP
Well PHP chats generally ###### sad.gif but since it is the only viable solution for use here, in your control panel you can install PHPMyChat which works OK.

Other than that, I would reccomend http://www.icq.com/ircqnet/ as an alterative to hosting your own chatroom. You can set up a chatroom of your own and link to it on your site.
MicahR79
Chris,
Why do you think that php chat's ######? Are they just not able to do what other chats do or what?

Thanks,
Micah
JasonJones
Probably because they are a submit/refresh type of deal instead of a fluid "alive" thing like IRC or a server/client based chat would be. If you've ever used one of the "live help" or other type of live support options on websites most of them are php based types of chat. Some people like it, others do not. I'd suggest you give some a test drive and see how you like em.

Jason
MicahR79
is the one that hostony uses for their live chat php based? Cause I don't mind that one at all.
Thanks,
Micah
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here