Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Another professional rant :P
Hostony Board > General > Anything and Everything
Dark Hedgehog
My question is now; why do all scripts I get have to be worded so professionally?

I mean, when I download a script, its all "please redefine which exterior blah blah blah" it gets SO annoying.

Me? I know its a rant, but, it strikes my curiousity of WHY people do it.

I loved the old days on how people put "Please enter your username and password, it will be used with your account"

Now its "Please enter a valid username and password, your account will be used along with it in order to achieve logging in"

You would think they are entering a spelling bee or something oo;

Is it me or is it just stupid?

So far, I have spent days re-doing the language files because they are so annoying >_<
JasonJones
Its a social thing. You can see this everywhere you look. Why does a Television comercial for a barbie toy that onscreen is singing and dancing need to have a disclaimer at the bottom that "Doll does not actually dance or sing" ... WTF, are parents that Fooking stupid that they would asume it was not a doll in the package on the shelf, but alas, a small human being that can dance and sing?

Society today has disclaimered itself to death. Everything needs a disclaimer... I think because of all these disclaimers people are actually unable to enjoy things they used to. "This blow up female doll is not a life saving device".. well I'm sure it would be a lifesaver to Charles Manson in Jail!! Or a Drowning Cuban trying to swim his/her way into the United States as a refugee. I actually saw this exact text on a ream of paper I recenty opened for my printer:

"Use Caution when handling paper; contains sharp edges"

A warning about PAPER CUTS!!! What the HOOF!

The woman that spilled her coffee in her lap sued McDonalds and WON because she was burned... Uh, hrm... Coffee is HOT, its like suing the state of Florida because you got skin cancer..
Dark Hedgehog
Are you my long lost brother or something? You have like, the same views I do oO;

And I do agree, society is killing itself off.

Good throw-ins smile.gif
Danimal
QUOTE(Dark Hedgehog @ Nov 29 2004, 09:16 PM)
Another professional rant: P

Oh come on, surely you're not just against the letter "P," are you? There's plenty more letters to hate as well.

Oh, I see, that's not what you meant. tongue.gif
Dark Hedgehog
LOL, you just love to tease, don't you Danimal? XD
bpgisme
Have you guys read Douglas Adams' "So Long and Thanks for All the Fish"?

John "Wonko The Sane" Watson is tall and gangly.

He lives in an inside-out house overlooking the Pacific Ocean. That is, to visit you park on the carpet. There's a sign on the wall that reads, "Come Outside." He considers the rest of the world to be "The Asylum," because it seemed to him that any civilization that had so far lost its head as to need to include a set of detailed instructions for use in a package of toothpicks was no longer a civilization in which he could live and stay sane.

biggrin.gif

(Copied and pasted from: HHG Project)
Dag
Speaking as a programmer,

PROGRAMMERS ARE NERDS.

This announcement brought to you by the letter q.

(By the way, I've read the Hitchhiker's Guide series - great books.)
Danimal
QUOTE(Dark Hedgehog @ Dec 2 2004, 11:18 PM)
LOL, you just love to tease, don't you Danimal? XD

I aim to please. tongue.gif

And though I've never read any of the Hitchhiker's series, I used to have a game for my COMMODORE 64 (am I dating myself or what?) and I could never figure it out at all.
bpgisme
Someone gave me the text based HHG game a long time ago (in the 1980s) but my copy had an error and I could never get it to run. I wonder if there's a downloadable version out there somewhere?

Talk about age... get this, I listened to the original radio series when it was played on NPR in the US in 1979? 1980? I couldn't record it because my stereo had an 8 track player. laugh.gif

-Bonnie
ChrisP
QUOTE(Danimal @ Dec 3 2004, 10:26 PM)
And though I've never read any of the Hitchhiker's series, I used to have a game for my COMMODORE 64 (am I dating myself or what?) and I could never figure it out at all.

LOL, I don't feel so old now. I had that same game for my Commodore 128 and I never made it out of the ship. (I never figured out how to catch the Babel Fish, even after I bought a cheat book.)
bpgisme
smile.gif

Maybe someday there'll be a version you can get for your computer and try again. I'd love to myself. That's the only thing I don't have in my HHG collection.
Danimal
Oh great, now I can relive my creative profanity days. Thanks Jason... mad.gif

biggrin.gif
bpgisme
Oh my gosh! That's so cool! Thanks Jason! I hadn't even tried to look for it.

laugh.gif
MicahR79
I thought you guys might enjoy this.

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail94.html

it just makes you think about video games. It is good stuff.
bpgisme
"You can't control me!"

And,

"For sooth"

laugh.gif

Somehow I am reminded of funny shaped dice, dark smoky apartments, me and my friends talking about battles with orcs, and lots of graph paper. rolleyes.gif

Have you played Peasant Quest? Excitement and graphics to the max! 'd.
MicahR79
QUOTE(bpgisme @ Dec 7 2004, 06:29 PM)
"You can't control me!"

And,

"For sooth"

laugh.gif

Somehow I am reminded of funny shaped dice, dark smoky apartments, me and my friends talking about battles with orcs, and lots of graph paper. rolleyes.gif

Have you played Peasant Quest? Excitement and graphics to the max! 'd.

Now you have gone into ultra nerd on me. Okay so I played Ultima Online for probably 1 million hours, and yes Everquest too. Halo, Halo 2 then we go back to the old days of Final Fantasy 1 2 3, Crystalis, Dragon something, jeesh my brain is fried from all these games, I can't even think of all them. I am starting to wonder if I have ever done anything else with my time. Video games have consumed my life. That and homestarrunner.com and redvsblue.com that is another one I enjoy. RPG's that used the imagination lets think. I played Top Secret and Star Wars with my buddy eric. Those were some good time. I remember I took out a helicopter by throwing my knife at it and my friend eric who was the game master at the time was so pissed he just quit the game after that. He gave me these impossible odds when I thought it up and somehow by the wierdest luck it happened. Man it ruined his whole storyline he had planned out and then it was just all over. Maybe I was just to creative of a problem solver for rpg's like that. biggrin.gif Well all have fun playing games, and making websites. Both are rather enjoyable.
bpgisme
laugh.gif
bpgisme
I had to go look it up to remember because it's been almost 15 years since I played those games but I used to play D&D of course and Traveller. We tried others too, but those were the two we stuck with.

Video games - I'm not such a player. I do the Myst series okay, and some of the Adventure Company games, but I don't have time for much else. My daughter is a super serious gamer though. laugh.gif

Oh well.... This nerd is off to go work on the website some more! biggrin.gif
MartinB
well, i can't find what is a "rant" in translator tools. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here