Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Website slowness?
Hostony Board > General Support > General Support
Dark Hedgehog
My site is in my signature.

The site is going very slow and updating a layout is getting "very" hectic to do.

Four times I had to click on my main page to return to working on it again, because I kept getting time outs or some sort of error.

Any help here?
caner.us
I didn't exactly undertsand what you mean but let's see...

If you have shell access, try "ps -aux" command to to see the running process on your server. It might give you a clue.

By the way, I checked your web site and it was not very slow.
Dark Hedgehog
Maybe it "IS" Shareaza..

Edit- Just cancelled some downloads and it appears it HAS been Shareaza..
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(caner.us @ Nov 29 2004, 04:46 PM)
I didn't exactly undertsand what you mean but let's see...

If you have shell access, try "ps -aux" command to to see the running process on your server. It might give you a clue.

By the way, I checked your web site and it was not very slow.

I made a typo, meaning "My site is in my signature."
caner.us
Your index page is more than 450KB, it might be one reason.Maybe you should reduce the quality of jpegs in your home page a little bit.
Dark Hedgehog
QUOTE(caner.us @ Nov 29 2004, 06:10 PM)
Your index page is more than 450KB, it might be one reason.Maybe you should reduce the quality of jpegs in your home page a little bit.

Mind explaining the reasoning for that?

My index page loads like lightning to me.

The rest of the site loads a bit slow, but, I can understand why.
Probably ocPortal's queries in MySQL.
Dark Hedgehog
Well, since most replies don't get read after editing, i'll just post another reply.

I lessed my downloads, and, my site still went slow.

Earlier, the server must have been running good for a bit, then, it dreadfully died down.
I don't know about anyone else, but, my site is running slow on my end.

Is it just me or everyone else?
JasonJones
It loads fast for you because its loaded into the cache of your browser.

http://www.sonicdash.net/images/logos/keepfandom2.jpg = 170kb
http://www.sonicdash.net/images/logos/sdnetwork.jpg = 121kb

Plus HTML and the other odds & end images. You should trim down those sizes a bit. I was able to take the main images in the site and get most all of them down below 30k in size, some as low as 15k with only SLIGHT loss in quality, most people would never see a difference.

Jason
Dark Hedgehog
Thanks, I will look into that smile.gif
MartinB
yes DarkH, you need optimize your images.

The "keepfandom2.jpg"(170kb) optimized weight only 22kb
is a big difference, and if you make it to all your images....
just open photoshop and File -> Save for web -> JPG, turn the Quality to 30 or 40 and nobody will see the difference in the screen.
MicahR79
Yes a monitor generally only has the ability to decifer 72px/in. However, this being the case many times I still make my images at 100px/in in Photoshop. But like he said just do save as and pick .jpg again and when it brings up that post screen pick like 8 for quality. If you don't have adobe e-mail them to me at micah@loyaltyhosting.com and I will do them quick for you. biggrin.gif
Dark Hedgehog
Yes, I have CS smile.gif

And I know what you are talking about tongue.gif

Thanks for the tips smile.gif

Edit- And by the way, other than my index, I am talking about my site completely.

I tried adding a file, when the site was loaded, and it took forever, hardly anything on the page at all, two images, not even big, and it hardly loaded.
Dark Hedgehog
Sorry for yet ANOTHER double post, but, I noticed something.

Many of my downloads finished on Shareaza, not even using hardly any bandwidth, and, from what was said, I was using the new layout of my site, still working on it, and it loaded FAST without modifying anything, I even used a BIGGER image on it too and it went blazing fast.

So it tells me there was "indeed" a server slow-ness going around.

Either that or a ghost is operating the machines there oO;
JasonJones
Dark, Keep in mind that most all P2P programs will cause slowness in connections even when they are not using a lot of bandwidth per-se. Bittorrents can really drag you down because you could have 1000+ people downloading from you at just a few bytes each, but you have all those open TCP/UDP connections to maintain, its taxing on a system. I've noticed with my bittorrent client that sometimes I have to limit the global connections to 500 or so at a time or I wont be able to go much of anywhere because my NAT router doesnt like that many connections going in/out from one source.

Just a thought. Also it could be that someone was compiling or doing a "backup" on the server slowing it down. When you notice a slowdown, check the load on the server.

Jason
Dark Hedgehog
Hmmm, probably.

I am not downloading that many things at all and not using bit-torrent as of now.

Probably the last thing you said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.
IPS Driver Error

IPS Driver Error

There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here